RELEASE TUEL AND TAKE FLYER ON SHAUB

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why people can't forget that Tuel pick 6.

EJ threw a game-losing pick 6 against Houston last year. Orton threw as bad of a pick-6 as I have ever seen against Detroit last year too.

But everyone only remembers Tuel's.

I guess that KC pick 6 stands out because it brought such a game-changing turnaround. And wasn't that KC game Tuel's only starting opportunity?

I wish he did have more of a chance to show his stuff. Now the coach talks about having 3 QBs - hey, what about me, coach?

Did Tuel finish last year on the practice squad?

Matt Shaub released. If I were the Bills brain trust I would release Tuel and bring in Shaub for a three way battle for the Bille QB. Tuel vs Shaub, I am sure Shaub would win that battle anyday. It is possible he could beat out EJ for our 3rd or 2nd string QB.

I was a Matt Schaub fan. He was a good QB with the Texans until his last year when "something happened". Whatever "something" was, the offseason didn't fix it and it was still wrong with Oakland.

So no. Just no. If he were his old self, he would be the best QB on the roster. But he's not his old self.

He's also a system QB, like Cassel. So if he's not in the right system, he'll suck, but that's not what's wrong with him. His arm strength is gone.

Yes Schaub is on the decline, but what's the harm in bringing him in for a workout.

Personally, I think Schaub is better than Cassell.

The problem is, Schaub is not on the decline. He declined, rapidly and seriously, and stayed down with Oakland.

If he was playing as he did for a long stretch with the Texans, yes, you're right, he was a better QB than Cassel. But if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, as the saying goes.

I was a Matt Schaub fan. He was a good QB with the Texans until his last year when "something happened". Whatever "something" was, the offseason didn't fix it and it was still wrong with Oakland.

So no. Just no. If he were his old self, he would be the best QB on the roster. But he's not his old self.

He's also a system QB, like Cassel. So if he's not in the right system, he'll suck, but that's not what's wrong with him. His arm strength is gone.

The problem is, Schaub is not on the decline. He declined, rapidly and seriously, and stayed down with Oakland.

If he was playing as he did for a long stretch with the Texans, yes, you're right, he was a better QB than Cassel. But if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, as the saying goes.

Is there a precedent for an NFL QB just "losing" his arm strength in one year? Is that even possible? Did Schuab even injure his arm?

I dont agree that he was ever a "solid starting QB," but instead was in the right place at the right time, to cash in on the ugly lack of "solid starting QBs" in the NFL.

That said, I cannot disagree with the bolded statement. I want to. I really do. But I just cant.

He threw for over 4000 yards 3 times in his career. Had a 12-4 record and a 22-12 TD/INT ratio just the year before his meltdown. What's the last 4000 yard QB we had? Bledsoe?

Matt Schaub was a very respected QB in this league, then he had those pick 6s 3 or 4 games in a row and the narrative changed to "Matt Schaub always sucked". We would've killed for a QB like Schaub during the same time period he was good. And now, people are just going to pretend Schaub was never good just because it's cool to say he sucks now?

It seems to me that his problem is mostly psychological. If we can build his confidence up, and our fans are supportive (I believe the Texans fans were partially responsible for his meltdown) and we can get him to stop worrying about failure, we can salvage ourselves one hell of a veteran QB.

He threw for over 4000 yards 3 times in his career. Had a 12-4 record and a 22-12 TD/INT ratio just the year before his meltdown. What's the last 4000 yard QB we had? Bledsoe?

Matt Schaub was a very respected QB in this league, then he had those pick 6s 3 or 4 games in a row and the narrative changed to "Matt Schaub always sucked". We would've killed for a QB like Schaub during the same time period he was good. And now, people are just going to pretend Schaub was never good just because it's cool to say he sucks now?

It seems to me that his problem is mostly psychological. If we can build his confidence up, and our fans are supportive (I believe the Texans fans were partially responsible for his meltdown) and we can get him to stop worrying about failure, we can salvage ourselves one hell of a veteran QB.

He had one of the best running games and best WRs in the league during his run. He was always a product of the system, if we got a run game as good as Houston's and Watkins hits Andre Johnson's level we'll likely get a pretty respectable season out of whoever is taking the snaps.

Schaub didn't lose his arm, he's hearing footsteps now. Once a QB loses his nerve and stops looking downfield to pay attention to the noise around him he's pretty well done. Anyone who watched Schaub in 2013 could tell he was playing scared. Given his age, there's little reason to invest any time in him at this point.

I guess that KC pick 6 stands out because it brought such a game-changing turnaround. And wasn't that KC game Tuel's only starting opportunity?

I wish he did have more of a chance to show his stuff. Now the coach talks about having 3 QBs - hey, what about me, coach?

Did Tuel finish last year on the practice squad?

I think he did land on the PS last year, where he probably should have been all along.

I just feel bad for the guy-- yeah, that KC loss was devastating. But throwing for 220 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTS, no sacks in his first start and against a playoff team? That's not bad for any backup, let alone a guy making his first start.

I wouldnt be surprised if Tuel beats out this new guy from Baltimore.

I think he did land on the PS last year, where he probably should have been all along.

I just feel bad for the guy-- yeah, that KC loss was devastating. But throwing for 220 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTS, no sacks in his first start and against a playoff team? That's not bad for any backup, let alone a guy making his first start.

I wouldnt be surprised if Tuel beats out this new guy from Baltimore.

I love Tuel. I love his moxie. I love the fact that he knows his job and embraces it.

His JOB is to get the ball to playmakers. Not to be a playmaker himself. Not to wait for perfection, but rather to give playmakers a chance to make a play.

would you rather have a QB who throws:

32 TDs and 32 Ints, or

12 TDs and 12 Ints

Me? I'd rather have 32/32. Especially with this Defense. Because 32 is a guy who is going for it. Think Favre (properly pronounced "Favv-ruh" and not "far-vuh". Because Favre does not equal Far. Fav is not Far. The "v" is not silent, then suddenly comes to life in the second half of the word. But I digress). 32 is TUEL.

12/12 is EJ. 16/16 is Cassel. Chicken-ass game managers.

The QB on this team has some excellent talent to deliver to. Give them a chance. Stop holding the ball. Give. Give.

Edited by maddenboy

Matt Shaub released. If I were the Bills brain trust I would release Tuel and bring in Shaub for a three way battle for the Bille QB. Tuel vs Shaub, I am sure Shaub would win that battle anyday. It is possible he could beat out EJ for our 3rd or 2nd string QB.

I would rather take a shot on Teabow than Shaub any day !!

Schaub played for 7 years in Houston (2007-2013) . He completed almost 65% of his passes, almost 8 Y/A, 124 TDs, 78 INTs, 4.1 TD%, 2.6 INT%, and a QB rating of 90.9. During those years, PFF graded him out at 9th, 14th, 7th, 7th, 10th, 12th, and 38th respectively. I don't care what kind of system he played in, he was a decent QB. We would take a QB with those numbers any day.

He definitely took a nose dive in 2013. He started only 8 games, throwing 10 TDs and 14 INTs - and his QB rating dropped from 6 years of +90 to 73. I am not sure what happened. The team also spiraled downward that season, going from 12-4 to 4-12. Something tells me there were more issues than just Schaub.

He also didn't look good in Oakland when he did play last year.

I have no idea if it was arm strength, confidence, the team around him, or what - but, he didn't play well the last two years.

I love Tuel. I love his moxie. I love the fact that he knows his job and embraces it.

His JOB is to get the ball to playmakers. Not to be a playmaker himself. Not to wait for perfection, but rather to give playmakers a chance to make a play.

I think Tuel brings some positives to the table. As you said, he's not afraid to chuck it downfield. Plus, he is really good in the pocket, and has a quick release.

The question marks are probably his arm strength and accuracy.

all your comments are about the past.....he has been terrible for years and for whatever reasons is no longer a good QB.

IF the Bills were still looking to bring in more QB, I wouldn't have an issue with adding Schaub on a cheap deal, or throwing in someone younger like Josh Freeman or trading a late pick for someone like Barkley. I wouldn't get into a bidding war or break the bank on any of them, but if they wanted another option to add to the QB contest I would take a chance on one of those guys