Winston doesn't plan to attend draft (no Mariota either)

re-read your post through the lens of a team selecting a qb and handing him $20m+ fully guaranteed, including about 15m signing bonus up front.

its his day but its nice when the face of the franchise can be trusted to be a part of the teams biggest moments.

His biggest moment has nothing to do with going to the draft... You people forget the movie draft day... The number one pick stayed home, to be with his family. Edited by Beef Jerky

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good.

Anything that will help slow down the NFL's continuing march to turn the draft into a three-day event.

Next we'll have a Top Ten Day separate from the First Round.

It's his decision to be with his family and friends, there will be cameras there anyway.........just let him be.

Good.

Anything that will help slow down the NFL's continuing march to turn the draft into a three-day event.

It's his decision to be with his family and friends, there will be cameras there anyway.........just let him be drafted by any team other than the Buffalo Bills.

Agreed!

Good.

It's his decision to be with his family and friends, there will be cameras there anyway.........just let him be.

His no show won't have any negative impact on the NFL's march in that regard.

The only way to stop that march is to stop watching the draft.

Good.

The NFL will just say "Jameis Winston wanted to spend the draft with his family." Then people will go oh OK, and they will show him on camera, like they do with other first round picks that don't want to go. Edited by Beef Jerky

There will be cameras at his home. He will be interviewed by a reporter on site. He will be imterviewed by anchors via camera. People making this an issue just don't like Winston, and that's fine, but cop to it. Don't make issues out of nothing. He'll be getting plenty of face time on draft night and the next day.

His no show won't have any negative impact on the NFL's march in that regard.

The only way to stop that march is to be a Neilson family and stop watching the draft.

fixed, because otherwise, who knows or cares if you, personally and individually, stopped watching.

(oh, and plus too, you are not going to not watch. You are not. Even if they announce on the day before that they are going to punch your mama in the face on national TV, you ARE watching the Draft)

Edited by maddenboy

It didn't seem to be an issue at the combine. He seemed to win over the media at his press conference.

He is going to be the first pick in the draft. As the draft approaches there is little doubt that his behavioral history will not only be brought up but it will be highlighted. It is understandable why he and his family don't want to be subjected to such unattractive commentary.

I want to stress that my following comments are me conjecturing on this issue. I have no factual basis for this conjecture: Just maybe it was Goodell who suggested to him that it would not be a good idea for him and the league if the topic of his multiple trasgressions were brought up at the well covered draft. I'm not sure if he was called in to see the Commissioner or he made the overture to see the commissioner but it is possible that his non-appearance at the draft was "encouraged" by the commissioner.

Edited by JohnC

Honestly, I'm not sure I would either. But that's me... I don't like that sort of personal attention, and I'd rather be with family/friends and celebrate in as much comfort/privacy as I'm allowed.

This just guarantees even more atention on Winston. He doesn't want privacy--he will have multiple TV cameras wherever he choses to be that day. More than it would otherwise be, it will be all about WInston until after that first pick is announced.

fixed, because otherwise, who knows or cares if you, personally and individually, stopped watching.

(oh, and plus too, you are not going to not watch. You are not. Even if they announce on the day before that they are going to punch your mama in the face on national TV, you ARE watching the Draft)

Oh, I will definitely be watching. Wouldn't miss it. I'm not one of the "the NFL is evil" truthers who can't or won't stoop to partake in the league's crass self promotion.

Bring it on!

They said on insiders Winston wants to spend the draft with his ailing grandmother who can't make the trip to Chicago with him.

His grandmother is very ill. Jameis asked her if she wanted him to stay with her instead of going to the draft and she moaned.

Which naturally he interpreted as a "yes". The state's attorney, Jimbo and all retired judges hired by FSU concur.