Bills' gamble on Percy Harvin sends contradictory message

HOUSE

By Mike Rodak | ESPN.com

March 14,2015

Bravo, Buffalo Bills, for being aggressive and securing one of the top remaining free agents on the market, but it's fair to question whether signing Percy Harvin is the best allocation of the team's resources.

Not only is Harvin's track record of causing trouble in locker rooms a red flag for a team that already added controversial guard Richie Incognito this offseason, but devoting precious, dwindling salary-cap space to a position that could be devalued in Greg Roman's offense doesn't make sense.

Rex Ryan and Roman have talked up their "ground and pound" approach since taking over in January, yet the front line of their offense is still strikingly thin. Making a combustible third receiver a priority over tight end and the offensive line sends a contradictory message just days after general manager Doug Whaley told the Bills' official website that Ryan's philosophy is to "build from the inside out." SNIP

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/

Edited by HOUSE

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiving Chandler doesn't appear to be wise though

I have zero issues with it. He's a bad football player. Chandler could have been decent depth but not at that price. If you are targeting Chandler opposing d coordinators are thrilled.

I put this in another thread that my dad has this theory that if Chandler & Hogan combine for at least 7 catches the Bills are in trouble. I kind of shrugged it off but I looked yesterday and the Bills were 1-5 in those games. The only win was Minnesota which may have been the worst game that they played all of last year. You need to get the ball in the hands of playmakers and Chandler does not qualify as that.

If you miss out on Clay, Gresham is still a significant upgrade.

Waiving Chandler doesn't appear to be wise though

it was wise because he was due a bonus the next day and he isn't a fit for the new scheme. Saved money on cap. He's a depth player in NE because no other team wanted him as a starter. Edited by YoloinOhio

Not to change this into a Chandler thread but Gray and Gragg are probably an upgrade over him. Harvin can score from anywhere as can Watkins and McCoy when was the last time the Bills had 3 skill position players you could say that about. They still have the draft to get another guard and a TE if they don't get Clay or someone else.

Not to change this into a Chandler thread but Gray and Gragg are probably an upgrade over him. Harvin can score from anywhere as can Watkins and McCoy when was the last time the Bills had 3 skill position players you could say that about. They still have the draft to get another guard and a TE if they don't get Clay or someone else.

Chandler is more of the lumbering turn around 10 yards down field and make the catch type of TE...occassionally can stretch the field on seam routes but isn't really a matchup problem in the athletic sense which is what Roman wants...plus his blocking sucks

Translation - "This Pats fan is mad Percy signed with the Bills instead of New England."

Not necessarily. Harvin has a long (and I mean long) history of being a trouble maker.

In high school, he was suspended a game as a junior for a post-whistle unsportsmanlike penalty. As a senior, he was suspended the last 2 regular season games of his high school career for shoving a ref and using foul language. A couple months later playing basketball, he started a fight with an opponent that resulted in the game being called and a ban from competing against out-of-district schools. That meant he wasn't allowed to participate in state track events in the spring, too. He had won 5 individual state track titles up until then but he cost himself the opportunity to win an unprecedented 6th title and perhaps even worse, his teammate's an opportunity to win a team state championship.

One of his former teachers, now retired, told me he was the most ignorant, arrogant,self-absorbed, and self-entitled students she ever met. In fact, the only time I've heard her cuss was when she called him "just a real ass."

That's the kind of kid he was. Extrapolating that to adulthood - and with stories we've already heard about him - Rodak is right. He might not be worth the trouble.

Hopefully Rex can keep him in line all season. But the odds appear to be against him.

Edited by Campy

Save this article. It might be humorous reading in the future.

I've been patient with Rodak but he brings nothing to the table. He never has inside info and really doesn't understand the NFL or the Bills. He is not good at his job. He pretty much re-tweets stories that Schefter, Carucci and Graham broke. Hopefully ESPN will evaluate the job that he has done and move on.

Since when is Road-dick an expert on what the Bills need personnel-wise?

Couldn't even finish that article. Wow, is he horrible. I don't think he has much of an understanding of the cap, scheme, and the owner. They appear to be a team willing to spend to the cap so any suggestion by idiots like this that they are in trouble with little cap room left is conjecture and in his case just his Pats-bias. He doesn't know anything about actual football for someone in his position, glaringly under qualified to take any Xs and Ox, just like me, but in my case, read national writers who do, so when compared to others, he woefully lacking. Someone started a thread about his a while back and I read this one only because I wanted to see if he could spin it into a negative, and sure enough that was the tact he explicitly and intentionally took. Stop reading him. I'm basically down to boxscores now! Not much out there worth reading.

I kind of get it, but I'm so sick of the double standard that ESPN holds out for the Bills. The Pats make this move and they'd be blowing smoke up both the Pats and Percy's butts.

It's all the same thing "they don't have a QB and their OLine isn't that good". It's like they are grading on an invisible curve where the Bills could just walk out and grab Andrew Luck and Joe Thomas, but choose not to in order to bring in Percy Harvin.

Just once I'd like a talking head to acknowledge we have the best collection of skilled talent that we've had in over a decade and a potentially great defense. Yes we need to make a couple improvements, but unless you are willing to present realistic options for replacement it's all just empty clickbait fluff. The problem is ESPN entered the empty clickbait fluff business a long time ago and are doing well in it.

Rodak is a professional troll paid to antagonize a fanbase to generate clicks, nothing more. It says a lot about the guy that he's willing to take the check over finding a spot writing about what he cared about when he should have the connections to do just that if he's working at ESPN.

Save this article. It might be humorous reading in the future.

Even if harvin flops it's a bad article. It's clear the intent with the signing and if he doesn't get the game enough to see the upside potential and only sees "no guard yet!!!" then he has missed the boat. A simple "here's the plan and it could go either way" would be a smart and informative take that Id say several on here could formulate well

I'm confused. Is this thread about Rodak or Harvin?

To me it was about Rodak. He wrote an article about Percy Harvin having issues off the field (well duh). Everyone already knows that. His lack of understanding of the cap and the NFL in general gets exposed every time that he sits in front of a keyboard. He is a TERRIBLE insider as there are people on this board with more inside info.