Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

Contrary to the opinions of many on this board, Clay is not a very good blocker. I live in South Florida, and his blocking ability has always been the knock on his game. See below...

LOL that same website ranked Clay the 11th best TE in the league last year. Chandler was 50th.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL that same website ranked Clay the 11th best TE in the league last year. Chandler was 50th.

Clay is an ascending player, Chandler descending. Clay was a starter at 22 Chandler at 26. Projecting forward, it is not even close.

Also, receiving stats to rate TEs is not good. I don't love PFF, but the tape says clay is on verge of top 10, Chandler on verge of being outside the top 50.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

I hate waiting lol

I tell you what, if the Bills actually offer him a contract, it better be one the Fins cant match since they have had all this time.

CBF

While the wait is agonizing, I believe the longer the wait the better for us. He hasn't signed with the Bills yet, but on the bright side he hasn't signed with Miami either.

Clay is not being signed for his blocking abilities. He is a very good receiver and the Bills envision a lineup of Sammy, Woods, Harvin, McCoy, and Clay....lots of speed and quickness on the field.

Well done. little more practice and you're there

if true....let me pose this - Chandler was also not used for his blocking abilities... why get rid of Chandler?

I'm all for using a TE to pass catch and not block

if true....let me pose this - Chandler was also not used for his blocking abilities... why get rid of Chandler?

I'm all for using a TE to pass catch and not block

I don't know....Guessing the new coaching staff wanted a quicker and faster player than Chandler. Clay is a much better player than Chandler. Check the youtube video of his highlights. I like Chandler but Clay is better.

Clay is an ascending player, Chandler descending. Clay was a starter at 22 Chandler at 26. Projecting forward, it is not even close.

Also, receiving stats to rate TEs is not good. I don't love PFF, but the tape says clay is on verge of top 10, Chandler on verge of being outside the top 50.

Lets say that Clay is younger by 3 years. Age in and of itself does not guarantee ascending talent.

Players switching teams sometimes perform better - ex Jerry Hughes, sometimes much worse like Albert Haynesworth, lesser Stevie Johnson, Mike Williams,

were running a ground and pound.. A non blocking TE type won't fit

I was referring to this post -

nucci posted - Clay is not being signed for his blocking abilities

so I compared the 2 as non blocking TE's.

I don't know....Guessing the new coaching staff wanted a quicker and faster player than Chandler. Clay is a much better player than Chandler. Check the youtube video of his highlights. I like Chandler but Clay is better.

I can deal with younger .... but at ~ 4 times the salary estimated $9 Mil to $1,9Mil ... it makes you question the deal

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Ground and pound is a marketing phrase.....Watkins, Woods, Harvin, McCoy, possibly Clay...this is a fast lineup

Yeah, it's a somewhat misleading phrase that conjures up a "three yards and a cloud of ground up tire pellets" image.

Moving the ball on the ground and through a short-area passing game (pseudo runs) is really what we're talking about here...

Lets say that Clay is younger by 3 years. Age in and of itself does not guarantee ascending talent.

Players switching teams sometimes perform better - ex Jerry Hughes, sometimes much worse like Albert Haynesworth, lesser Stevie Johnson, Mike Williams,

I can deal with younger .... but at ~ 4 times the salary estimated $9 Mil to $1,9Mil ... it makes you question the deal

If we cut Chandler to sign Clay for $9 million/year someone needs to be fired, or have their head examined.

Yes he is attempted atbeing signed because he can block. Doesn't mean he can't receive either. Next time quote in context where the quote derived from

Edited by ddaryl

it makes you question the deal, not me. I am one of those that doesn't get all worked up about the salary cap. I just want great players on the team. I will let the Pegula's worry about paying the bills.

Yes he is attempted atbeing signed because he can block. Doesn't mean he can't receive either. Next time quote in context where the quote derived from

I'm sorry, but - I don't believe I said that either.

Clay is not being signed for his blocking abilities. He is a very good receiver and the Bills envision a lineup of Sammy, Woods, Harvin, McCoy, and Clay....lots of speed and quickness on the field.

I thought my response was is in context.

Are you arguing Chandler was a horrible pass catcher?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever