Anthony Fasano - TE

YoloinOhio

I believe that I'm in the minority but I think that spending 8 million a year on Clay is way to much. His numbers over the last 4 years are worse than Chandlers.

Clay 161 rec- 1809 yards- 14 td's (4 years)

Chandler 181 rec- 2112 yards- 17 td's (5 years)

And Julius Thomas 109 rec - 1282 yards - 12 tds (3 years)

Now why don't we take a deeper look into what these guys do rather than just compare stats with no context.

I'd rather have Chandler. But get it was all about the money

ditto. I like Chandler and wish he WAS a top tier TE and would like to see him back at a lower salary over a 30somehting throwaway.

For the umpteenth time...Chandler was a terrible blocker.

I would prefer TE's to pass catch that have to be a blocker, just saying

Bills prob need a backup plan, since the Dolphins could match an offer on Clay up to the 5th day. While I wasnt a huge Chandler fan, does make me wonder why they released him this early with the uncertainty at our TE position.

fixed it for you

And Julius Thomas 109 rec - 1282 yards - 12 tds (3 years)

Now why don't we take a deeper look into what these guys do rather than just compare stats with no context.

O.K. What does Clay offer that would warrant paying him 3X what Chandler made? Neither is much of a blocker and both are similar receivers.

Has Clay actually signed an offer sheet? If he hasn't and given the possibility of Miami matching it, why cut Chandler, who continually gets unjustifiably trashed on this board. Fasano will block but won't catch anything.

Not yet, but all indications are that he'll sign either today or tomorrow. He's still in town, and that wouldn't be the case if he (and the team) weren't intent on getting a deal done.

Plus Armondo Salguero reported that he's hearing that Clay will sign today or tomorrow with the Bills.

Lastly, Fasano is basically a replacement for Lee Smith. Probably a better blocker (I never thought Smith was very good at it), and definitely more of a receiving threat.

Not yet, but all indications are that he'll sign either today or tomorrow. He's still in town, and that wouldn't be the case if he (and the team) weren't intent on getting a deal done.

Plus Armondo Salguero reported that he's hearing that Clay will sign today or tomorrow with the Bills.

Lastly, Fasano is basically a replacement for Lee Smith. Probably a better blocker (I never thought Smith was very good at it), and definitely more of a receiving threat.

agreed. Fasano is an upgrade from smith and Clay is an upgrade from Chandler (and fits romans offense like a glove).

Tomorrow? Ugh. Yesterday everyone was saying it would come and if not it would happen today.

Anybody know if he flew home? Dude's been here since Tuesday. If they don't get an offer sheet done until tomorrow that's one helluva long visit!

Tomorrow? Ugh. Yesterday everyone was saying it would come and if not it would happen today.

Anybody know if he flew home? Dude's been here since Tuesday. If they don't get an offer sheet done until tomorrow that's one helluva long visit!

He's here from what the connected media guys are saying...I wouldn't sweat it; as a transition player, this contract is going to have to be structured properly to get him here. That takes time, and Jimmy O knows what he's doing...

from everything reported, the transition tag players take time.

Chandler was waived for cap reasons only. The Bills may actually bring him back at some point since Roman likes to have 4 TEs available for use in his offense.

At some point I could see the Bills going into training camp with Clay (they love his versatility), Fasano, Chandler, M. Gray while also drafting a TE. Those 5 plus Gragg and the Canisius TE would fight for 4 spots.

@JeffDarlington #Chiefs will be releasing TE Anthony Fasano later today, source says.

Yay or nay...

Edit: keep in mind the Bills have publically stated they need to add TEs, plural.

I'm under-enthused.

He's not a big boy - 6'4", 255. 10 year vet. Best years ~30 catches for 450 yds. Said to be able to block well.

Maybe a guy who can catch about as well as Chandler but block about as well as Lee Smith?

Here's what PFF had to say about him:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/04/05/secret-superstar-anthony-fasano-miami-dolphins/

He talked some junk about Buffalo back in the day. Screw him. He's like a clearance rack TE. We can do much better.

Really? What did he say?

Chandler was waived for cap reasons only. The Bills may actually bring him back at some point since Roman likes to have 4 TEs available for use in his offense.

At some point I could see the Bills going into training camp with Clay (they love his versatility), Fasano, Chandler, M. Gray while also drafting a TE. Those 5 plus Gragg and the Canisius TE would fight for 4 spots.

If Chandler was released for cap reasons, then it's directly connected with whoever Buffalo is trying to sign, so the TE roster spot is not mutually exclusive.

If Chandler was released for cap reasons, then it's directly connected with whoever Buffalo is trying to sign, so the TE roster spot is not mutually exclusive.

chandler was released because he is a poor blocker with average hands

chandler was released because he is a poor blocker with average hands

yeah he sucked

Chandler led Buffalo's tight ends in catches and yards in each of the past four seasons, including last year when he had 47 receptions for 497 yards.

He has 17 touchdowns in 65 career games with the Bills.

Chandler scored six times in both 2011 and '12 to match the franchise's single-season record for TDs by a tight end.

Chandler ranks third among Bills tight ends in touchdowns and 182 catches.

and his snow storm TD celebration was awesome

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I believe that I'm in the minority but I think that spending 8 million a year on Clay is way to much. His numbers over the last 4 years are worse than Chandlers.

Clay 161 rec- 1809 yards- 14 td's

Chandler 181 rec- 2112 yards- 17 td's

Extremely misleading numbers there.

Over the past two seasons Clay has amassed about 90% of those stats. Also Clay has been the 6th most productive TE since 2013.

yeah he sucked

Chandler led Buffalo's tight ends in catches and yards in each of the past four seasons, including last year when he had 47 receptions for 497 yards.

He has 17 touchdowns in 65 career games with the Bills.

Chandler scored six times in both 2011 and '12 to match the franchise's single-season record for TDs by a tight end.

Chandler ranks third among Bills tight ends in touchdowns and 182 catches.

and his snow storm TD celebration was awesome

Well his competition at TE over the past four years makes he has led the team a bit misleading. I would have thought Butch Rolle had the most but checked and your correct, I guess Butch "caught" the ball when they need one. Nobody will top the snowstorm celebration.