So far, treading water in FA and trade aquisitions

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing/being sad has been apart of all of our personal identities as Bills fans... So if this team really starts putting some competent seasons together, we're all going to have to change who we are.

You're grasping for anxiety OP.. Your favorite football team just picked up a transcendent talent in Shady, all while retaining proven studs and acquiring additional needs. Sometimes, you have to give alil' to get alil.. so yea.. kiko is gone. deal with it bro. youre pining over a dude who had 3/4s of one good season out of two.

You'll complain about the parade route.

I see people saying the Cassel is an improvement over Orton. If you take the one lucky year he had in NE out. I find it hard to make the argument we upgraded. It seems more likely that we have downgraded at the QB position. So far in Free Agency I can't see that we have done anything more than hold the status quo at best.

I see people saying the Cassel is an improvement over Orton. If you take the one lucky year he had in NE out. I find it hard to make the argument we upgraded. It seems more likely that we have downgraded at the QB position. So far in Free Agency I can't see that we have done anything more than hold the status quo at best.

If you consider his good years lucky, you may be right. Why was it lucky? Because he had a good team around him? He will have a good team around him this coming season so hopefully he will be 'lucky' again. He also had a very strong season in KC - but that may have been lucky too. Or his bad seasons were unlucky. Glass half full or empty?

I'd say that the OP is fair in his assessment that the team is status quo talent-wise from last season, but:

- Talent acquisitions aren't over yet and

- Ryan is a huge upgrade over Marrone

this must be your 2nd account OP.

I can see where the OP is trying to go with this post, he's just not wording it correctly, but I understand his thinking.

We lost Sercey, Kiko and Spikes from the defense, Granted Kiko was a non factor last year but he was a factor 2 years ago. We've added no one on the defensive side (we re-signed Hughes but he was here last year also). So I think what the OP is asking is how is the defense going to be that much better.

On the offensive side we got better with McCoy but he's not going to come in and be the savior that takes us to the playoffs after 15 years, but he is a large upgrade over Spiller. Cassell and Orton are one in the same, both journeymen. We upgraded the FB position. Incognito should be an upgrade, but he hasn't played in a year and who knows what he's going to turn out to be.

So I believe what the OP is saying is how much better have we really gotten?

If you ask me - I think the defense needs another LB to fill spikes, Kiko's role. Along wit hthat you add Rex's defense system and yes the defense should be better, but keep in mind our terrible offense's of the past's had success against the Jet's defense. Time will tell..

The offense is where we should improve dramatically, forget about McCoy, just getting rid of hackett made this offense better.. The offense will be much improved, especially if we add Harvin and Clay.

Every year we get excited just to get heartbroken, every year we think this is something different and it ends up being the same... I think were all just hoping this is the year, but you can't blame someone for questioning it after 15 years of the same'ol Bills..

Edited by mikef272002

FA just started. A huge QB upgrade just isn't ( wasn't) going to happen this offseason. Not much Bills could do about that. If we get Clay, Harvin, and an OL, FA improved the team. If not, status quo at best but still too early. Let's wait until FA is essentially over to assess the Bills progress.

I can see where the OP is trying to go with this post, he's just not wording it correctly, but I understand his thinking.

We lost Sercey, Kiko and Spikes from the defense, Granted Kiko was a non factor last year but he was a factor 2 years ago. We've added no one on the defensive side (we re-signed Hughes but he was here last year also). So I think what the OP is asking is how is the defense going to be that much better.

On the offensive side we got better with McCoy but he's not going to come in and be the savior that takes us to the playoffs after 15 years, but he is a large upgrade over Spiller. Cassell and Orton are one in the same, both journeymen. We upgraded the FB position. Incognito should be an upgrade, but he hasn't played in a year and who knows what he's going to turn out to be.

So I believe what the OP is saying is how much better have we really gotten?

If you ask me - I think the defense needs another LB to fill spikes, Kiko's role. Along wit hthat you add Rex's defense system and yes the defense should be better, but keep in mind our terrible offense's of the past's had success against the Jet's defense. Time will tell..

The offense is where we should improve dramatically, forget about McCoy, just getting rid of hackett made this offense better.. The offense will be much improved, especially if we add Harvin and Clay.

Every year we get excited just to get heartbroken, every year we think this is something different and it ends up being the same... I think were all just hoping this is the year, but you can't blame someone for questioning it after 15 years of the same'ol Bills..

Kiko never had a role in the defense to fill, or if he did it was already filled. Wasn't part of it's success last year and wasn't part of it's future. It'll be as if he never existed.

FA just started. A huge QB upgrade just isn't ( wasn't) going to happen this offseason. Not much Bills could do about that. If we get Clay, Harvin, and an OL, FA improved the team. If not, status quo at best but still too early. Let's wait until FA is essentially over to assess the Bills progress.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FIRST ROUND PICK?!?!?!?

The premise of all the Kiko-McCoy trade talk is the Bills getting some line help and an upgrade at tight end. But if they do that, they would have been fine sticking with Fred and whoever else they got in free agency. Not to mention still having Kiko.

Not sure if people realize that McCoy has played behind a top notch oline his whole career and has been coached by smart offensive minds. Darren Sproles actually had a much better rushing average than him last season. I can't think of another running back who has been as fortunate as McCoy. He's good, but he's not as good as most here think.

Put him on the Bills last year, and how do you think he would have done with our 32nd rated offensive line? Lower your expectations about him being the difference-maker here because it's not going to happen. The offense will still suck and be carried by the defense again. But we do have an easier schedule, and the defense (barring injuries) has the potential to be even better under Rex, so anything's possible.

Edited by QB Bills

The premise of all the Kiko-McCoy trade talk is the Bills getting some line help and an upgrade at tight end. But if they do that, they would have been fine sticking with Fred and whoever else they got in free agency. Not to mention still having Kiko.

Not sure if people realize that McCoy has played behind a top notch oline his whole career and has been coached by smart offensive minds. Darren Sproles actually had a much better rushing average than him last season. I can't think of another running back who has been as fortunate as McCoy. He's good, but he's not as good as most here think.

Put him on the Bills last year, and how do you think he would have done with our 32nd rated offensive line? Lower your expectations about him being the difference-maker here because it's not going to happen. The offense will still suck and be carried by the defense again. But we do have an easier schedule, and the defense (barring injuries) has the potential to be even better under Rex, so anything's possible.

He is going nowhere behind this O line. Bills better have some answers or Whaley is going to really start looking foolish.

Thanks for all of the responses / perspectives. I'll readily acknowledge that my post was jaded by 20+ years of buying into to the "positives" and ultimately getting kicked in the bag.

It does feel like the optimism about what's happened so far isn't proportionate with what we've actually done to improve.

But as many have said so constructively :), there's plenty of time left.