Fred Jackson is the Derek Jeter of the Bills

Bocephuz

The closest player that can compare to Jeter in my view is Russel Wilson. We have no one that comes close to approaching Jeter. And to be honest, not even Russel Wilson is all that close simply because Jeter has delivered ALCS and Major league championships over and over and over.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Yankees started home one year too long. Refused to drop him in the batting order, and allowed him to be a detriment to the team by hitting him second (letting him lead the league in hitting into double plays)

So they let him stay too long costing the team by giving him respect. I don't think the bills are in that position. Hopefully we play him 3rd string time.

Without the five championships.

I'm half kidding, I love Freddie and it was going to be really tough to watch the team without him on it. But ultimately it is a business and you can't hold on to old flames if there are better players out there. Freddie is not Derek Jeter. He has never won anything, never been to the playoffs, pro bowl, never had a 1,000 yard season even. He was a work horse and who we looked to for belief in this playoff drought but he isn't Derek Jeter. I hope Fred makes it in the wall and gets all the recognition he deserves for his loyally to us but I don't want our owner intervening every time our fans get upset about a player leaving. It's Freddie now but who know what will happen in the future.

Fred had 1,062 yds rushing in 2009. Along with just over 1,000 yds returning kicks making him the first to achieve that dubious double milestone.

and retired when it was time to leave

The real narrative about jeter's final season was owner sentiment pushing the coach to bat Jeter second (the most important position in the lineup) every day despite the fact that Jeter had no pop left and had among the very worst power numbers in MLB. He couldn't field well either. That was clear the previous year too.

That said, I didn't hate the decision because Jeter is a great and a player who wants to watch and root for (assuming one is a Yankees fan, which I am). Anyway, with regard to Jeter, last year was more about marketing the legend than putting yourself in the best position to win baseball games.

Edited by dave mcbride

I didn't say he was the Derek Jeter of the NFL.. just the Derek Jeter of the Bills. It's all relative.. Relative to anyone else who has played for the Bills in the last 20 years Freddy is arguably the most talented and most beloved Buffalo Bill for on and off the field reasons.

Most Americans have trouble with metaphor as you've just discovered. Usually you are better off with simile, but in this case, even that would have blown up in your face.

But I appreciate the gist of what you are saying and agree that Fred is special in a Kyle Williams sort of way....

And the Yankees started home one year too long. Refused to drop him in the batting order, and allowed him to be a detriment to the team by hitting him second (letting him lead the league in hitting into double plays)

So they let him stay too long costing the team by giving him respect. I don't think the bills are in that position. Hopefully we play him 3rd string time.

That is a good point... in that light maybe Jeter wasn't the best comparison. I'm not advocating that we hand Freddy the starting job because of seniority. Perhaps Ray Lewis would have been a better comparison.

Did Freddy look so bad last year that it was obvious he should have retired this year?

He definitely lost a step. But I think all that meant was that his days as a #1 guy are over. He still has the toughness and smarts, not to mention blocking and receiving skills.

He definitely lost a step. But I think all that meant was that his days as a #1 guy are over. He still has the toughness and smarts, not to mention blocking and receiving skills.

Agreed.. not a #1 anymore.. but he still looked athletic enough to be a contributor.. ie.. if he's on the field he won't hurt the team.

Jeter's success was no doubt aided by being surrounded in those lineups by nearly every steroid abuser in baseball history.

When the talk about cutting FredEx started, I immediately thought of a different AL East SS, Nomar Garciaparra. Universally loved, Sawx fans lost their ever loving minds when Nomar was traded in '04. But objectively, it made sense to get rid of him and we all know what happened that fall.

That is a good point... in that light maybe Jeter wasn't the best comparison. I'm not advocating that we hand Freddy the starting job because of seniority. Perhaps Ray Lewis would have been a better comparison.

Except for that whole double murder thing..... :D

Except for that whole double murder thing..... :D

That certainly haunts Ray Lewis. Looking at the whole picture though..as a Baltimore resident I can tell you he had a huge presence in the community here, was heavily involved in local charity work and he is universally worshipped and respected in Charm City.. right up there with Johnny Unitas.

Everyone in Baltimore knew Ray wasn't himself that last year.. but he was just good enough to get by and not "hurt" the team.. but almost everyone would admit that the intangibles he provided definitely helped the team win a Super Bowl.

If Freddy can outplay Bryce Brown in training camp and outright win the #2 job.. I think he has a chance to provide that same type of role for the Bills this year.

Edited by Bocephuz

And yet he was our top rusher. Go figure.

Keeping, cutting, or trading Freddie should be made for the sake of the team's best interests, this year and the next few years. It was clear that he had lost a step last year, but he had lost none of his toughness, desire, or heart. What's in the team's best interest, to keep a declining-ability yet stalwart leader, or to look elsewhere? Clearly bringing in McCoy and letting Spiller go indicates the Bills see the need for a shift. It's the other guys I wonder about. The Bills traded for Brown -- if Jackson is better, do they man up and admit the Brown trade wasn't a good idea? But Jackson costs a lot more than Brown and Dixon, and with so many holes on the offense maybe that indicates Jackson should go. The interest in the Jets' RB is surprising, other than that Ryan likes him. I think Jackson is a much better player. Maybe Ryan isn't sure Jackson has Ryan's back, and a strong leader who doesn't follow the coach could be a problem.

At some point, maybe this year, Jackson will have to retire. Everyone does.