Anyone else worried about the defense?

I know it's way early in the season and FA hasn't officially started yet but I'm getting nervous about the D. Kiko is gone and Hughes and Searcy are probably out the door too. These are good/very good players and I don't know if we can get the same quality players in FA. Factor in a new HC, DC and the potential switch to a 3-4 scheme and it's got me worried. It wouldn't be good if the D regressed this year given the ground and pound offensive strategy.

I agree, from my view the Bills have MILDLY upgraded the offensive talent and seriously downgraded the talent of the other side of the ball while spending signifcantly more cap money leaving little to spend on a QB should someone unexpctedly become available (Cutler, RG3). I really dislike the Casell trade.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, from my view the Bills have MILDLY upgraded the offensive talent and seriously downgraded the talent of the other side of the ball while spending signifcantly more cap money leaving little to spend on a QB should someone unexpctedly become available (Cutler, RG3). I really dislike the Casell trade.

I dislike the McCoy/Kiko trade more.

Assuming 4-3, DE, WLB, SS

Assuming 3-4, OLB, MLB, SS

You are assuming that safety is a weakness? It was not last year when they were interchanging Duke Williams and Graham into the safety spots

If you consider McCoy a mild upgrade I really dont know what to tell you.

He is one of the very best backs in the league

You are assuming that safety is a weakness? It was not last year when they were interchanging Duke Williams and Graham into the safety spots

Possibly, by specifying SS, he is suggesting that we might have 2 on the field at one time, with one in a hybrid role.

And no, McCoy is, in no way, a mild upgrade THIS year. He is a colossal upgrade.

I feel Searcy was really finding his own. I do not feel nearly the same about Duke. although he did have some moments. Searcy is great in the box and started to show some range> not speed mind you but intuitive enough to get good angles and was hitting hard.

yes i am a Searcy fan as of last season.

I feel Searcy was really finding his own. I do not feel nearly the same about Duke. although he did have some moments. Searcy is great in the box and started to show some range> not speed mind you but intuitive enough to get good angles and was hitting hard.

yes i am a Searcy fan as of last season.

Searcy has had two more years worth of experience. Duke's second half of the season was pretty good. He made one of the worst plays I've ever seen, sure, but I think some of us are only remembering him for that. I think there's a lot of potential with Duke. Searcy is good to have, but he isn't the kind of player you absolutely must retain.

It was absolutely a weakness when Duke had to take over. And moving Graham there makes CB a weakness as Robey was burnt time and time again. They need a better option at S because Duke isnt it.

Not worried at all. Last year everybody was upset about losing Byrd. Searcy (a former late round pick) stepped up and played well with help from Graham, Williams and Rambo. Basically this means, next man up. This is why they draft depth guys - to step up after a few years in the league. And don't discount the draft. We have found stud linebackers in late second and third round the last 2 years. Also there is solid depth at linebacker in free agency that when the dust settles after the spending in first few days, there will be great bargains left to fill out roster.

Jim Schwartz played a very conversative defense(would almost never send more then 4 guys) and Rex Ryan will have a top 4-5 defense without question .If he was so great why is still without a job?

Because he doesn't NEED to work with his resume. He can sit out this year and be without doubt the number one DC on the market next year and that is if he doesn't get HC interviews. Jim Schwartz is an excellent coordinator and did an outstanding job with the Bills last season. The knock on him for not blitzing more is a pathetic one. We led the league in sacks.

I'm not worried about the defense, but I don't expect it to be as good as last year.

It was fun to watch Pettine's high-risk/high-reward defense, and I think it will be fun to watch Rex's version too. But, I don't think we'll see the same results. IMO our biggest loss is Schwartz. I wondered last year if Kiko and McKelvin would have thrived in Schwartz's defense. Both seem to be out of place more often than the player we fielded, and might have opened holes.

Hughes was very valuable, and that's why he's going to earn the big bucks. Searcy was solid for us, and consistent. Spikes.... meh, he was not on the field a lot and seemed like JAG at LB to me this year.

I'm of the opinion that this defense will not rank as high under Rex as it did under Schwartz.

Could be. As you have good coaching and continue acquiring good players, you can keep winning. There are only a few key cogs you can keep so chose wisely and keep stocking the rest.

Ex: I think gilmore and Dareus are priorities. Kyle and Mario will need successors soon but should be kept until they hang em up. Preston brown may become a keeper.

Searcy has had two more years worth of experience. Duke's second half of the season was pretty good. He made one of the worst plays I've ever seen, sure, but I think some of us are only remembering him for that. I think there's a lot of potential with Duke. Searcy is good to have, but he isn't the kind of player you absolutely must retain.

I suppose part of me wants to keep the players that Bills have drafted and developed. No reason not to keep Searcy and Duke. They each bring strong qualities to the field and fantastic depth.

Unless Searcy is actually asking to test FA. that would surprise me though. I bet he is priced more reasonable the spotrac is quoted

I am a little nervous. Losing searcy, Hughes, and spikes will set our D back. I love that Rex will be aggressive with our scheme. But I am nervous between our cap situation and lack of draft picks that there will be a drop off. Right now we need a quality TE, G, de, s, lb - can Whaley do it? I like sheard and brooks reed a lot for our D