Anyone else worried about the defense?

I know it's way early in the season and FA hasn't officially started yet but I'm getting nervous about the D. Kiko is gone and Hughes and Searcy are probably out the door too. These are good/very good players and I don't know if we can get the same quality players in FA. Factor in a new HC, DC and the potential switch to a 3-4 scheme and it's got me worried. It wouldn't be good if the D regressed this year given the ground and pound offensive strategy.

Nope.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me the front seven would be

M Williams, Dareus, K Wiliams , G Hardy

Alonso, Brown Bradham

The truth is that I've loved Doug's small moves - draft rounds 3-7, stealing other teams practice squad players, finding guys on the wavier wire, Incognito etc

I have not loved the Bills flashy moves- Chris Williams, Sammy Watkins, Bryce Brown, Rex Ryan, McCoy, Cassel

You consider Chris Williams, Bryce Brown, and Cassel flashy moves?

Why not throw Thad Lewis on there?

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I know it's way early in the season and FA hasn't officially started yet but I'm getting nervous about the D. Kiko is gone and Hughes and Searcy are probably out the door too. These are good/very good players and I don't know if we can get the same quality players in FA. Factor in a new HC, DC and the potential switch to a 3-4 scheme and it's got me worried. It wouldn't be good if the D regressed this year given the ground and pound offensive strategy.

Really? Lose a LB who was hurt all year yet the defense got better from the year before, hmmmm, maybe lose a depth safety and Hughes who is a very good player. Those guys will be replaced if gone and oh by the way, bring in the absolute best defensive football mind in the business today. Nah, i'm not worried one bit.

Like someone else said if you are worried about the defense maybe you should stop posting for a while.

I'm of the opinion that this defense will not rank as high under Rex as it did under Schwartz.

Well the odds are with you on that one, because the defense was among the best in the league last year. A lot easier to go down than up.

For the record, I still think the D will be very good, even if they aren't ranked as high as last year.

Well the odds are with you on that one, because the defense was among the best in the league last year. A lot easier to go down than up.

For the record, I still think the D will be very good, even if they aren't ranked as high as last year.

They will be #1 next year...

Harris is off the market now. IMO I think if Hughes, Searcy and Spikes all walk and we don't add at least one really nice piece to the defense, it will be nearly impossible for our defense to play at the same level as last season. Rex or no Rex.

This team could suck horribly. For years. We don't deserve it but this whole Rex thing could blow.

This team has sucked horribly. For years. Things are turning around, it's time to let go of that fear and embrace the positives that have come our way. New, deep pocket owners committed to keeping the team here, the first real NFL coach the franchise has had since Wade, days before UFA even begins we've already ugraded at OG, RB, and QB.

Deep breaths. It'll be okay. :beer:

I don't really understand the logic in letting Searcy walk.

I can understand Hughes getting away because of what they will most likely pay Dareus , Gilmore, etc but to let them both leave is concerning.

I like what I have seen from Duke Williams and Rambo. I am more worried about the front 7. Brown had a good rookie year but I don't think we can assume that he wI'll be a stud just yet. Lawson is getting up there and was used sparingly last season, that definitely worries me. Plus our depth at LB is suddenly weak. I think adding a nice piece to the front 7 should definitely be a priority. Edited by Proteus

Searcy was not a depth guy. He is significantly better than Duke and was coming into his own. Highly undervalued by Bills fans. If the Bills don't fine a quality replacement I'll go WAY out on a limb and say they'll end up missing him more than Hughes.

Come on! No way. Searcy is a replacement type player. They wouldn't miss a beat without him. Orders of magnitude different from Hughes.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I'm of the opinion that this defense will not rank as high under Rex as it did under Schwartz

Jim Schwartz played a very conversative defense(would almost never send more then 4 guys) and Rex Ryan will have a top 4-5 defense without question .If he was so great why is still without a job?

As of right now, we have three starting spots available on defense... So yeah I'm getting a little concerned. Hopefully we continue to be aggressive in building talent. Our offense probably won't be good enough to get it done with a middle of the road defense.