Cyrus Kouandjio not wasting any time prepping for 2015

Found it pretty striking the new-found dedication Kujo seems to have found.

Note also the "positive environment" comment - wonder if that is a shot at St Doug

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Cyrus-Kouandjio-not-wasting-any-time-prepping-for-2015/e9b98a16-f852-4326-a953-0bdb52cebb62

LeCharles Bentley Offensive Line Performance Training Center

Is that similar to Derek Zoolander School For Kids That Can't Read Good ...? I mean, he attended Alabama...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great to hear, I hope this can help him get his career going.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the Bills considered signing LeCharles Bentley after the Browns released him? IIRC, he didn't pass the physical.

this time last year he was training for the draft. maybe between may and training camp he slacked?

I don’t think he’s saying he slacked off. I think there is a marked difference between where he was at Alabama and being a professional. There are no classes, no NCAA rules limits on time spent playing and practicing. This is these guys jobs. He probably didn’t know how to work like a professional works. How to use time wisely. How to take care of his body the way a professional does, how to truly prepare the way professionals do, etc. I think his new regiment is combination of that factor and embarrassment at not having made any impact whatsoever. All he has known is success from High School through College. To get a whupping like he was getting in camp last year probably killed his confidence. He’s not used to losing, or looking bad. But his response to it is good sign and doesn’t surprise me at all.

Edited by purple haze

And further to the point, can't help but think, based on things that trickle out, likely what a miserable SOB Marrone probably was , and how it likely affected both individuals and the team as a whole.

For Kujo to specifically include the comment "It’s a really positive environment" about a group of guys doing footbal workouts to me speaks volumes about his impression of the environment in the "tard yard" :) last year.

But he was really horrible during preseason, hardly enough time for Marrone to have such a negative effect on him. He was one of the worst lineman i've ever seen. He needs to improve an awful lot to make the team.

they were still up a couple weeks ago when I was there

"Don't confuse effort with results" is one of the least motivating quotes you could put on a training facility wall.

Maybe they should put this quote beside it:

"Well, kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is: never try." —Homer Simpson

"Don't confuse effort with results" is one of the least motivating quotes you could put on a training facility wall.

"Well, kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is: never try." —Homer Simpson

And the quote came from a guy who quit on his team and squeaked to a winning record because the Pats pulled their starters, so he gave us neither effort or results.

kj

Disagree. One of the most important quotes the Bills needed to hear and ascribe to. It wasn't just about trying your best, it's about delivering. Just trying your best isn't good enough.

What's Seantrel up to these days? Someone should tell him Cyrus is coming for his job.

OH, I'm sure ole Seantrel knows what cyrus is up to. Competition. This all bodes well. Get your popcorn, the train is coming around the corner. Thank goodness Cyrus is getting his act together. all bodes well. need O line improvement. Looks like this guy is doing his part. so good to see

What Kujo is doing is not out of the ordinary; it is the norm. Many people are portraying the hard work Kujo is putting in this offseason as doing something special. It is not. This is what one does to stay in this highly competitive profession. What would be surprising is not the training he is doing in Arizona but if he didn't participate in a rigorous training program. Especially when he failed miserably in his rookie year.

Kujo found himself in a situation where for the first time in a football situation he was overwhelmed. He consistently got brutally manhandled by the players he line up against. He was a boy going against men. If he didn't respond with the urgency and desperaton that he is currently exhibiting to do better in his second year he would be unceremoneously dumped by the team that drafted him with a high round pick.

Kujo is a very young player whose maturation process is still at an early stage. He is a good kid and a sincere kid. It's encouraging that he is responding by working harder to better prepare himself for the upcoming challenge. But make no mistake about it that he was a miserable failure last year not because of anything that had to do with coaching but because he wasn't ready from a physical and mental standpoint. His failure last year was his failure.

Disagree. One of the most important quotes the Bills needed to hear and ascribe to. It wasn't just about trying your best, it's about delivering. Just trying your best isn't good enough.

That's all they can do. Go out and give 100% every single day, every snap, every film session and the results follow is the mantra a coach should sell.

That's all they can do. Go out and give 100% every single day, every snap, every film session and the results follow is the mantra a coach should sell.

That's doesn't mean it's good enough. Too long have we had a team that was content with 6-10 as long as we tried. They need to not be okay with 6-10.

That's doesn't mean it's good enough. Too long have we had a team that was content with 6-10 as long as we tried. They need to not be okay with 6-10.

If not giving 100% every day, how do you suppose they get there? 110%?

If not giving 100% every day, how do you suppose they get there? 110%?

Why should they get credit for trying hard? I could give 100% to try to make an NFL team, and never make it. Do I still get praise and a paycheck because I tried my bestest?

had he not previously had dedication? its great work hes doing, just wasnt sure if there was a reason for the shot at his previous work.

A lot of guys in college are just better than everyone else and don't really have to work that hard to stay on top.

It's different in the pros, where talent isn't enough.

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

Don't know who's quote that is, but it's perfect for any sport.

I'm glad to see him working hard. It can only help.

Why should they get credit for trying hard? I could give 100% to try to make an NFL team, and never make it. Do I still get praise and a paycheck because I tried my bestest?

No but what difference does hanging that over the practice field make? That's an issue with the GM not the practice habits if you get signed.

I could come up with a whole bunch of valid sayings or general life truths that wouldn't be practical in that setting.

A lot of guys in college are just better than everyone else and don't really have to work that hard to stay on top.

It's different in the pros, where talent isn't enough.

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

Don't know who's quote that is, but it's perfect for any sport.

I'm glad to see him working hard. It can only help.

See, a quote like that makes sense on a practice field Edited by NoSaint

No but what difference does hanging that over the practice field make? That's an issue with the GM not the practice habits if you get signed.

I could come up with a whole bunch of valid sayings or general life truths that wouldn't be practical in that setting.

See, a quote like that makes sense on a practice field

Agree to disagree. I thought Marrone, for all his faults, made this team tougher than ever and I think that quote sorta encapsulated that.

Agree to disagree. I thought Marrone, for all his faults, made this team tougher than ever and I think that quote sorta encapsulated that.

That's an interesting question, and something we really don't know the answer to. To me, the team as a whole was tougher, but it was almost entirely on defense, and also because of the few new guys that were brought in that made us a lot tougher: Spikes, Boobie, Graham, the ascension of Bradham. Schwartz demanded a lot out of the players. Spikes was an enormous help. Bradham started killing people. On ST we hit very hard.

Nobody on offense seemed all that tough and we constantly got pushed around.

I'm not sure where Marrone gets a lot of credit for making the team tougher last year.

That's an interesting question, and something we really don't know the answer to. To me, the team as a whole was tougher, but it was almost entirely on defense, and also because of the few new guys that were brought in that made us a lot tougher: Spikes, Boobie, Graham, the ascension of Bradham. Schwartz demanded a lot out of the players. Spikes was an enormous help. Bradham started killing people. On ST we hit very hard.

Nobody on offense seemed all that tough and we constantly got pushed around.

I'm not sure where Marrone gets a lot of credit for making the team tougher last year.

The disparity in performance had nothing to do with the disparity of toughness between the units. The difference was the talent level. The defense was loaded and the talent on offense in general was less than mediocre. The line and qb were stunningly bad. The most talented player on offense was Watkins. His exceptional talents were squandered because the OL and QB play were repugnant.

You can be an extremely tough player yet be a poor performer. Upgrading the talent level is the solution. In my view Marrone got the most out of his players on both sides of the ball. If Nix is going to be more successful than Marrone (especially on offense) it will be due to the fact that he has better players.