Cyrus Kouandjio not wasting any time prepping for 2015

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true, which is why I'm asking.

I will say this

I dont know Kujo's family dynamic.....I am however very close to a family of Islanders (they produce a TON of athletes....I got to know them years back when my son started training for football with them....and the relationship kind of went from there.......they are a VERY close nit group no matter how far away they are from each other.

It wouldnt suprise me at all if members of the islander family i know would be affected in a situation like Kujo's. Really fine people too. They literally would die for each other.

From working with strength athletes, I can say that people with longer limbs definitely have more work to do to bench the same weight as people with short limbs. It's one of the reasons that I, as a 5'6" guy with very short arms, can bench more weight than a number of trained 6'0" guys that outweigh me by 50 lbs.

Of course, there's other factors involved as well, such as natural chest circumference, lower arm-to-upper arm length ratio, etc.

I understand what you are saying and I agree. But Dupree was 6' 3" (that's some long arms) at the time and more than 100 lbs lighter than Cyrus.

I will say this

I dont know Kujo's family dynamic.....I am however very close to a family of Islanders (they produce a TON of athletes....I got to know them years back when my son started training for football with them....and the relationship kind of went from there.......they are a VERY close nit group no matter how far away they are from each other.

It wouldnt suprise me at all if members of the islander family i know would be affected in a situation like Kujo's. Really fine people too. They literally would die for each other.

also his first year away from his brother, really, right?

and then having professional struggles too, and being away from his comfort zone during it....

its easy to see that it COULD have effected his play. did it? who knows, but its far from a stretch to speculate that it might have

I understand what you are saying and I agree. But Dupree was 6' 3" (that's some long arms) at the time and more than 100 lbs lighter than Cyrus.

Indeed...I wasn't so much marginalizing Kouandjio's low(ish) bench number or Dupree's high number; just lending some credence to the idea that longer limbs = more pushing output required.

I will say this

Islanders also grow up with each other, John. They live in the same area for years. Kujo did not. If I knew more, it would be clearer to me.

Islanders also grow up with each other, John. They live in the same area for years. Kujo did not. If I knew more, it would be clearer to me.

Not in this case.......the islanders I know were pretty scattered out but still maintained contact......even though they were in other countries.

I cant explain it because I am pretty much a loner myself......but I have seen it from others.

It actually felt pretty good to be a part of their "family"

Yes, I saw that. My point was more directed at the poster who excused Cyrus's lower weight due to arm length.

It was in his high school weight room in front of a coach from Oklahoma. Not sure exactly where his hands were. It was 400 lbs...10 reps...17 years old..

Ah yeah it makes a difference... but to contrast. Didnt dareus do like 22 or 24? I think its more about functional strength. He was weak on the field and thats a fact. But ill tell you. When i saw him he looked way to slender to be an o lineman to me he is really long and if you look through my posts. I really had and still have a hard time believing he is 320.

And 400 on a bar is INSANE!!! let alone repping it out. Wow

He can. But if he moved here at 4, how close could he really be to them? It's not like he's seeing grandma every month.

I dont know man. Different things effect people different ways. Maybe he goes back to visit. Maybe his parents are worried. Maybe they went back over. Who knows. I just think that we cant gloss over it. Its a good possibility. Ill say this. I am not as worried about his desire his want. As i am his knees. Arthritic doesnt mean much. As i have the same "diagnosis" in a sense that when i blew my knee out doctors said i was gonna have arthritis. I feel nothing. But i worry about him. How long is he going to be able to play.

But i worry about him. How long is he going to be able to play.

in the end, how many players truly have a 10+ year career with a team? if we get him for 3-4 and he plays well enough to tack on 3-4 more, its already a HUGE success

in the end, how many players truly have a 10+ year career with a team? if we get him for 3-4 and he plays well enough to tack on 3-4 more, its already a HUGE success

Yeah, anything past 4-6 years for a second round pick is gravy, which is why I think Whaley was willing to roll the dice on him.

Kujo would have to be performing at a very high level to get a third contract as there are always younger, hungrier, cheaper guys looking to take the job...

Yeah, anything past 4-6 years for a second round pick is gravy, which is why I think Whaley was willing to roll the dice on him.

Kujo would have to be performing at a very high level to get a third contract as there are always younger, hungrier, cheaper guys looking to take the job...

Lets just see if the guy can actually get on the field first......

:)