Post Cassel: What's next at QB?

174 members have voted

1. 1. What moves, if any, will the Bills make at QB following the Cassel trade?

• None. We're entering the season with Cassel, EJ, and Tuel, may the best man win.
    • Signing a Free Agent QB
    • Drafting a QB
    • Pulling off a blockbuster trade for a big name QB
  2. 2. As of now, who do you predict will start for the Bills in 2015?

• Matt Cassel
    • EJ Manuel
    • Jeff Tuel
    • Other (write-in)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would make me very happy, but I fear that the plan is to kick the can down the road and deal with the QB situation next season. Again, I prefer your strategy and hope that's what they do.

The Cassel signing decreases the chances of Sanchez being brought in. Word is that he didn't take sitting the bench well last season so I'm not sure he's the guy you want. He likely will be looking first at teams where he has a clear path to be the starter. If those dry up then places where there is competition will be more likely destinations. It could happen, but I'd take Locker first if I could get him.

Not only that, but we'd be tying up $11m at least to the QB position with mediocre returns, most likely.

by signing all of these veterans to fill needs I think it makes more of a case for us to take a QB in the draft early. i like Petty. big, strong arm, quick release, can roll out and make plays on the run. there's accuracy issues and he hasn't played under center or had to make more than 1 read, but he's worth a look. when he misses he usually misses long so only the receiver has a shot at the ball

Edited by kdiggz

Not only that, but we'd be tying up $11m at least to the QB position with mediocre returns, most likely.

True. At least with Locker I could see him turning the corner and being special if he could stay healthy. He's had issues, but he's also looked great at times.

Sign Locker in free Agency. Draft one of Grayson, Mannion, or Petty. Locker wins, EJ is cut.

Cassel's contract has very low guaranteed money, if anyone were cut in your scenario he would be the most likely guy IMO. Too much dead money to cut a first round pick at the beginning of year 3.

Cassel's contract has very low guaranteed money, if anyone were cut in your scenario he would be the most likely guy IMO. Too much dead money to cut a first round pick at the beginning of year 3.

yeah i think they only owe him like 600k gtd. they can easily get out of that contract. I think they did the deal partly out of desperation not knowing whether they can get a QB in FA to come here, and not wanting to go into the season with EJ and a rookie. I think that's why they went so hard after mccown too. They wanted to make sure they had a vet going into FA, just in case they don't get one. Now they have flexibility because I'm sure they don't want to overpay for a crappy QB. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't think they go after any FA QBs. I don't believe any of the FA QBs offer anything more than you get with Cassel. Absent some kind of miracle trade for maybe Cutler or Bradford (which I do not believe is likely - but, I never like to say never), I think they are going to draft Grayson or Mannion. EJ, Cassel, and the drafted QB of their choice compete for the starting job. There just are no really good options available to upgrade the QB position.

I believe they invest in upgrading their offensive line, develop a strong running game, play which ever QB they believe can manage the game the best with the least amount of mistakes - and rely on their defense and running game.