CNY315

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay..... here are two threads....

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/176267-predict-the-lb-packages/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175541-who-are-the-4-starting-lbs/page-4

I can only see one or two posts actually questioning if he fits. But there are plenty questioning where he fits in the Rex Ryan defense. A myriad of views on inside v outside and strong side v weak side.

Thanks. Same with many of the other players on the defense where they fit too.

I have only seen one post so far (see trade kiko thread), that questioned Kiko's fit with the team.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

That's easy. He was being moved outside because he's not really big enough to play mlb in a 4-3. We didn't have anyone to play in the middle in 2013 so that is where he played, and he excelled.

Since then, we added Brown who is bigger and much better suited to play inside, and Bradham exploded on the scene. As well as Spikes to play the middle (although he may be gone).

Kiko is not going to play rush olb under any circumstances. The position he would play is where Bradham will play. Brown will man one of the inside slots. David Harris will play the other, as he is very likely to be signed to QB this defense.

So it's Kiko versus Bradham. Would Kiko beat him out? Probably but not for sure. Bradham is a beast and may be a star like Kiko could be. But there is no reason to bench Bradham either. That is why people are saying there may not be a position for him. They don't want to play him in the middle.

Kiko is a great coverage linebacker. So there is surely a use for him. It's not like he would be riding the bench. He could probably be very very effective in Ryan's defense. But because of Brown who is better suited than Kiko for the middle, and Bradham's ascension who fits Ryan's mold a little better because he's bigger and a killer, Kiko becomes expendable.

This needs to be repeated often. Bills suddenly found themselves with a surplus of LBs in one position, plus viable FAs to fit Rex's scheme. Kiko is a very good LB, but the drop off from him to the next guy is nowhere near as big as the pick up we got for the offense by adding McCoy.

There are rumors coming out now that Bills were quietly shopping Kiko and we should be fortunate that McCoy fell in their lap.

Edited by GG

A few more big runs? A few more drives kept alive? A little more room for the receivers and QB to work with, as defenses key in on Shady? I'm not sure 50 yards per game is outrageous to expect.

And that would be significant. Last year we ranked 26th in the league in total YPG with 318.5. If we were 50 better at 368.5, we would have ranked 10th, just in front of the Giants and behind the Seahawks.

If Shady can move us from 26th in the league to 10th, then I might have to change my opinion. (Though I still don't know about the long-term implications of the trade.)

He is ranked 1st in the whole league over the last 5 years for first downs and rushing yards. Gonna need another 3 years of that.

Thanks. Same with many of the other players on the defense where they fit too.

Yes I accept that - I think if they'd traded Bradham for McCoy there would be some similar questions - "was he expendable", "what was his proper decision in this defense" I think they would equally apply. Clearly the injury plays a part in the decision and Rex has hitched his waggon to Bradham. That was always the either or for me. Some had Kiko playing as a genuine edge guy - personally I don't think he can do that.

Because you can't find it either?

Well on Oct 28 Mike Schopp discussed trading Kiko for an OL or TE (which makes more sense to me actually than a RB) and one of the biggest supporters of the Kiko trade now GreggyT "Schopp confuses controversial opinions (good for his business) with absurdly idiotic opinions (bad for his business and explains why he's in Buffalo rather than a larger radio market)."

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/172600-do-the-bills-make-a-move-at-the-deadline/page-2

weird that last october, under a different coach, scheme, and with only a half season of brown/bradham, that opinions may evolve. or even with a name like mccoy, vs the mysterious trade of OL or TE which usually amounts to a middle of the pack name when all is said and done.

i was likely just as on the record that we should keep kiko, let spikes walk and run with brown, bradham and kiko as the top 3 this year. things changed drastically, and a better player than expected was offered too.

Before and right after the trade, I wasn't a fan of the concept of trading Kiko.

After listening to some arguments, I understand the trade. I think that's where a lot of people sit. Not sure why that's so wrong.

My take too. Sad to see Kiko go (in part, for the great jokes). But hope McCoy kills it for us.

Whether it works or not, I love Whaley's guts and activism. He is bold and smart.

weird that last october, under a different coach, scheme, and with only a half season of brown/bradham, that opinions may evolve. or even with a name like mccoy, vs the mysterious trade of OL or TE which usually amounts to a middle of the pack name when all is said and done.

i was likely just as on the record that we should keep kiko, let spikes walk and run with brown, bradham and kiko as the top 3 this year. things changed drastically, and a better player than expected was offered too.

It's funny because that was his reaction to the general idea of trading Kiko which Schopp proposed.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Whether it works or not, I love Whaley's guts and activism. He is bold and smart.

What you say is true, but, there will come a time to pay the piper. I think that bold moves are/were needed because of the QB situation (that was a FO creation BTW), but, there need to be positive results.

It's funny because that was his reaction to the general idea of trading Kiko which Schopp proposed.

seeing the thread that just bumped, it looks like i was correct and my sentiment hasnt much changed. i was against the trade (and the idea we were going to get 2 dominant lineman for him) then but for reasons that have clearly evolved.

With the 8th pick in the 2013 draft, the Bills selected:

EJ Manuel

LeSean McCoy

Marquise Goodwin

Chris Gragg

That's a lot of value, imo.

Let's say EJ develops into a solid starter, and Goodwin or Gragg gets some actual use under Roman, it'll look even better.