Spiller: EJ may have been too "buddy-buddy" with players

None taken. I don't care one way or the other. I like CJ but his output (18 TDs rushing/receiving in four seasons) doesn't justify big $$. I'd be happy taking Abdullah in the 2nd round.

Yeah, stay or go, but if stay it better be a reasonable number. RBs do in fact grow on trees.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose the way he has been utilized plays no role in this whatsoever, nope, not one bit.

Chan did a decent job utilizing him and CJ would be crazy to not follow him to NJ, but, even at his best, CJ is a 12-15 touch a game RB. I would not spend my money on such a player.

[. . . ] JP had the same problem, he even said it once. . . . . He said something like these are grown men in the huddle and I have to tell them what to do. I am not. He said he struggled with that.

The bolded correction is what this boils down to. A grown man does not fear another grown man, especially in business, and especially if they are on your team.

And yeah, that's not gonna work.

Edited by maddenboy

We will all find out soon enough if EJM has made the changes necessary, and has taken his game up a few notches. I expect him to be the starter, and to do a good job.

Very few rookies can just come in and command respect, especially when there was no established veteran there to prove himself against, or show him the ropes (whether through mentoring, or competing). Regardless of how you feel about his talent, no one could say these were good circumstances to develop a rookie QB.

Even Jim Kelly was fortunate to have spent some time in the USFL to bridge his career to the NFL. He wasn't a "rookie" when he came to the Bills. For all we know, he might have ended up like JP Losman (they had a similar arrogance) without his USFL experience.

It is hard to lead when you haven't proven yourself yet in this league. That comes with time I believe EJ has the necessary skills to develop into an effective leader. I think the benching will help him in the long term we will see whether or not he can translate that on the field.

Reason why it made no sense to me for him to be cut until at least after training camp if he shows he does not have what it takes to succeed.

Edited by billieve420

It is hard to lead when you haven't proven yourself yet in this league. That comes with time I believe EJ has the necessary skills to develop into an effective leader. I think the benching will help him in the long term we will see whether or not he can translate that on the field.

Reason why it made no sense to me for him to be cut until at least after training camp if he shows he does not have what it takes to succeed.

QB's gotta have swagger & the talent to back it up.

Bobby Layne grabbed face masks in the huddle; his passes often lacked spiral and were end over end but his presence led to a lot of wins.

Jim Kelly pissed many a player off during his tenure, but he won.

Leadership ability is tied to performance. It's a lot easier to yell at a WR if you are performing well.

This...^

I'm not trying to say my job is even remotely close to what a CEO or NFL QB faces, but I do manage in a difficult setting, with difficult people. I have seen a couple people before me just get destroyed doing the same thing. I'm not a very alpha type person, I don't evoke fear in people, so I can empathize with people who struggle with taking on that role. That said, I was at my job 8 years before I was promoted and did more business for my company then anybody else in it's history. Almost by default people listen and respect me. So if you perform well, its very easy to lead. If you don't or aren't established, it certainly takes a very unique individual. Especially if those people your trying to lead are more tenured/experienced/etc.

Chan did a decent job utilizing him and CJ would be crazy to not follow him to NJ, but, even at his best, CJ is a 12-15 touch a game RB. I would not spend my money on such a player.

I'm not too far off this opinion. I believe if utilized properly he could be a 15-20 touch a game RB.

Utilized? You mean a RB utilized as a RB was the problem? Then why does CJ think he is a RB?

Football is more complex than this simplistic view you have.

I always suspected that. EJ needs to grow a sac if he wants to make it in the NFL.

That's why Buddy & Whaley wanted to have EJ learn the ropes from a vet for a few years but the plan was blown up with Fitz leaving & Kolb's injury.

One thing I take from this is that CJ also mentioned that EJ learned from the Orton experiment...also his work ethic & talent is apparent to lead the team.