Stevie Johnson may be released from the 49ers (now released)

YoloinOhio

I would love to have Stevie back as I think the combo of Stevie, Sammy, and Woods would be really good with Hogan the 4th WR and maybe draft or sign a cheap big body. But signing Stevie would need to be accompanied by getting a good tight end either through the draft or through free agency. The team could use Stevie who I think could make for a great slot WR but the team would also still need to get a big more dynamic red zone target too.

That being said I don't think Stevie would return unless the market for him isn't there and the Bills offer him a one year mid-level prove it deal. I think Stevie would rather go to a team with a really good QB and try to pile up good numbers and chase a ring.

But will a team with a really good QB that is chasing a ring go for Stevie?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reunion with Chan? Chan could grab Spiller, Stevie, maybe Nelson, and pretty much have a B'lo Reunion in New Jersey

Heck, maybe Fitz will be cut and he can grab him too

6-10!

Just kidding. Bowles>>>>>Wanny

Actually infinite >

Edited by YoloinOhio

i'd like to see him in carolina. I think with Newton playing backyard style QB he might do well with a backyard style wr to go with olsen and benjamin

saying he's overrated, saying he only gets 2.9 catches per game, all the negatives.

if this was anyone else on any other team, if this was a guy that never played for this team we'd be screaming for him to come in and play slot and replace Hogan. People want to replace him with Brian freaking Hartline.

I said the bit about the 2.9. It's what he is now. People "hate" in high school.

Pleasant nostalgia is not a reason to bring him back. I was down on Hogan early, but he easily replaces a guy like SJ as a posession receiver or #3/4.

Also, SJ's last OC didn't see much use for him. That guy is now our OC.

I like him, I'd welcome him back, but not for the money he likely wants. I'd like to see him on a team with a good QB though, I bet it'd be a good match.

If the Texans keep Fitz, I kinda wonder if they might take a chance on his former favorite target. They have 33 year old Andre Johnson, Deandre Hopkins and who? so maybe they could use a guy who can get open on pretty much anyone. Bill O'Brien runs an Erhardt-Perkins type offense, doesn't he? which should suit Stevie.

I'm not terribly surprised. Stevie has always focused more attention on what he's going to do for the camera than what he's going to do for his team. He's a good receiver, but not a great one.

You've got to be kidding me.

Stevie has always been a team player. Yes he did his antics, and they were childish, but he was not a detriment to this team.

If the Texans keep Fitz, I kinda wonder if they might take a chance on his former favorite target. They have 33 year old Andre Johnson, Deandre Hopkins and who? so maybe they could use a guy who can get open on pretty much anyone. Bill O'Brien runs an Erhardt-Perkins type offense, doesn't he? which should suit Stevie.

This would make sense. Stevie would be an economical option, and potentially - reunited with Fitz - a productive one.

Fitz has been the only QB to know how to use Stevie's unique skill set. And it seemed at times Fitz was just throwing the ball out in Stevie's general direction and Stevie made the play.

Most QBs like their WR to be where the play says he should be.

I think you might be misunderstanding the general principle of Chan's E-P style offense. He taught "beat your man, run to the spot" but the nuance is that "the spot" changed according to the QB and WR both reading the same thing from the D pre snap. Fitz and SJ were good at reading things the same way - most of the time. (I believe a number of Fitz INTs in B'lo were due to QB-WR misreads). In Chan's offense, how the route got run was purely up to the WR and Stevie was a master at faking out DB with regard to his true route intentions.

SJ didn't do nearly as well under Marrone who insisted on using him in the slot and who tried to install a WCO with precise routes (I say tried, because the scuttlebut from knowledgeable commentators was that the route running was very sloppy). He was actually the #3 WR in SF this year behind Crabtree and Boldin so he did OK, the SF passing game was pretty bad this year (29th in attempts, 30th in yards).

The cut, if it happens, is likely a pure salary cap move.

Edited by Hopeful

I think you might be misunderstanding the general principle of Chan's E-P style offense. He taught "beat your man, run to the spot" but the nuance is that "the spot" changed according to the QB and WR both reading the same thing from the D pre snap. Fitz and SJ were good at reading things the same way - most of the time. (I believe a number of Fitz INTs in B'lo were due to QB-WR misreads). In Chan's offense, how the route got run was purely up to the WR and Stevie was a master at faking out DB with regard to his true route intentions.

SJ didn't do nearly as well under Marrone who insisted on using him in the slot and who tried to install a WCO with precise routes (I say tried, because the scuttlebut from knowledgeable commentators was that the route running was very sloppy). He was actually the #3 WR in SF this year behind Crabtree and Boldin so he did OK, the SF passing game was pretty bad this year (29th in attempts, 30th in yards).

The cut, if it happens, is likely a pure salary cap move.

This is a good point.

BUT, on some of Fitz's long passes to Stevie, Fitz was grunting for everything he was worth and throwing as far as he could, hoping for the best. Or so it seemed. Maybe I'm selling Fitz short.

Stevie Johnson's mistake was playing with injuries, maybe he thought gimping around would be appreciated as kinda a warrior mentality thing but fans only appreciate playing with injuries when the player is effective. If SJ is healed then he should have no problems catching on with another team at a more modest salary, if the groin injury is still nagging and reoccurring then he might be out.

I think Stevie would flourish as a slot receiver in this offense. I think not having him last year kind of hurt our offense a bit. Bring him back

Flourish? How many receptions you think he will even have? Watkins and Woods will be the main WRs so Stevie wont even get in especially if Roman starts running his 2 TE sets.

Edited by Beef Jerky