RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New administration brings in their own guys. It stands a decent chance of happening.

I wouldn't doubt that his camp leaked it to eliminate his trade value and allow him to pick the future team instead of the Bills.

That being said, you'd hope the Bills have a plan because I'm not sure Jeff Tuel is an acceptable answer to the backup QB question. I think the only reason McCown is talking to the Bills because they've told him he'll start here.

Really? He's awful, apart from a short, charmed time in Chicago.

OBD should offer him a chance to compete and nothing more.

Personally, I would not sign him.

Edited by Dr. Who

To what end though? Why cut EJ? At worst, he's a solid backup, and his contract isn't anything to worry over from a salary cap perspective. I'm certainly not doubting Leroi (pbuh) but it doesn't make sense.

Actually, at worst he is a bad starter or bad backup that ruins whatever good might be happening with the rest of the team. Just wanted to clarify what 'worst' means.

It certainly doesn't make financial sense, but if the coaching staff feels that there is little chance of EJ winning the starting job in camp, then there is little reason to keep him (and based on last year's camp, EJ doesn't have a chance in hell). We aren't auditioning for the backup position.

The ironic thing is that if EJ was picked in the 3rd round, this wouldn't even be an issue. But because he was overdrafted, fans have deluded themselves into thinking there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow -- we just have to be patient. "It's Marrone's fault," "It's Hackett's fault," "You can't judge a QB after 14 games," are all prime examples of the wishful thinking that's spouted ad nauseam.

I would be surprised if he is cut, but I would understand.

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Isn't there an "Imo" at the end of Leroi's post?

There is, which makes this not a "rumor", but an "opinion". I know Leroi came through on one prediction, does that mean everything he says is gospel and deserves a thread? Not IMO...

If the intention to cut EJ is true it tells me two things:

1. They are convinced he doesn't have what it takes to be a quality NFL QB.
  2. They don't want to taint the development of their next QB with an EJ drama.

What is an EJ drama? I was for his benching, but EJ's been pretty classy about that. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say EJ drama. If you mean the drama from Marrone going off, then that's far from anything on EJ

I think it would be a nearly incomprehensible move. Something we don't know would have to come out to explain it.

There doesn't seem any rational reason not to give EJ a chance to compete with the new regime.

I personally don't see any available free agent who is clearly likely to be better. Even if there were, wouldn't he make a reasonably priced back-up?

Of course, this would please the massive number of smug individuals who enjoy throwing contempt upon EJ and those who haven't already written him off.

I'm of the opinion that EJ Manuel did enough to show that he deserves a shot to win the job. But to cut him in favor of a Josh McCown or Jake Locker is shear stupidity. McCown is a proven "backup QB only" and Locker is always hurt and when he wasn't hurt he didn't establish himself as a better QB than Manuel.

I really don't understand the Manuel hatred. It's as if McCown and Locker are great additions because they aren't named EJ Manuel. There are no great options, but why eliminate an option? That's lunacy.

If he was a 3rd round pick we'd be plesently surprised with what he's shown so far, and optimistic about his future development.

Not sure about that. Edwards was a 3rd round pick, showed much more promise through his first 14 games or so yet people were not necessarily sold on him being the franchise QB.