RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ has no trade value at all. Anyone thinking otherwise is a supporter of EJ's or an optimist that we have the answer to the QB position on the team.

I am by no means stating EJ can't become a starting caliber QB, but right now he has no history to warrant trading anything for.

The only GM that might do it already has a QB in Indy! Ha

The waiting till after FA may suggest another move is in place.

Rex does not know much about how to develop a QB but Roman does. If Roman isn't interested in trying, that is good enough for me.

I won't deny that Leroi has come through with some scoops, bit looks to be opinion based. Cutting EJ is bad on so many levels and I cannot see Whaleydoing it. EJ is working his tail off to get better and was given no help by the Marrone/Hackett regime. Cutting him this early would give question to the sanity of this FO and coaching staff.

This Leroi guy has a lot riding on this "insider" prediction, because if this one doesn't happen it goes straight to the top of most embarrassing TSW predictions ever.

I think it's complete BS. If it happens I'll be furious and take great joy in trashing the FO, head coach, OC and the joker who's the starting QB throughout the year. Manuel deserves a shot after the Marrone/Hackett disaster.

even so -- say its bradford and mccown -- why cut EJ before they both make it through preseason healthy?

Not that I agree with it, but one reason I can think of is training camp reps. If they are going to bring someone in and the expectation by Rex/Roman is that McCown and the new guy will go into training camp #1 and #2, it might not be worth it to keep EJ around as a distraction (with the media if nothing else) when he'll only be taking #3 reps, which likely won't give him much opportunity to prove himself. Or maybe they want to give him a chance to catch on elsewhere as a backup; it's not unheard of for teams to let guys go early for their benefit.

This Leroi guy has a lot riding on this "insider" prediction, because if this one doesn't happen it goes straight to the top of most embarrassing TSW predictions ever.

I think it's complete BS. If it happens I'll be furious and take great joy in trashing the FO, head coach, OC and the joker who's the starting QB throughout the year. Manuel deserves a shot after the Marrone/Hackett disaster.

Like I just posted in the shoutbox, this is an easy post for a guys claiming to have sources. When it doesn't happen, he defends it by saying "they couldn't get the guy they wanted in FA, so they are keeping EJ for now". Its a win-win for Leroi.

Knowing how things work out for this teams karma the last 15 years, and all the players they can't seem to fit into their specific schemes at the moment. It would not surprise me at all to see the Bills sign McCown as a backup QB. Then when free agency opens they sign a Mark Sanchez. Or perhaps trade for RG3, Bradford or sign Jay Cutler. :sick: If Sanchez still stinks playing on one of the best offenses in the league...just imagine what he does behind that craptastic Bills line.

Meanwhile Chip Kelly picks up EJ, and sits him, then tutors him properly while removing all the moron stains that Can't Hackett embedded in him. Then watching EJ take the Eagles to the playoffs in a few years would be almost as bad at watching Lynch help the Seahawks get to a SB 2x.

I have no problem cutting EJ. He can't throw. Period. Go back and watch his 14 games. Just his throws. Not any other plays. There is nothing there to suggest he can play QB.

His only positive quality as far as on field talent is that he has escapability in the pocket when there is pressure. His is wildly inaccurate throwing the ball.

Everyone FSU fan I knew basically laughed at the pick.

This is how they need to approach the QB situation:

Cut EJ.

Sign McCown.

Sign Mallett

Trade for Foles.

Draft a mid round QB.

Then, take a QB in 1st round in 16(we will be probably drafting between 12-21 next year, hopefully there is a worthy QB prospect)

Don't think it's true and also op said it was his opinion this would happen. No mention of actual plans. Only financial rationale would be eating the entire cost in Rex's first year when most coaches realized they have a grace period, and free up some more space for the more important 2nd year

What he said. E.J., all things considered, is not that bad where he would be cut. In fact I look to him having having a good year in 2015.

I am not advocating cutting him, but here's the thing: the Bills are somewhat unique because there has been a massive overhaul of the organization in the last 6 months. There's a new owner, for one, and they hired a new coach who is more than just a new coach - he's a big-time personality who for better or worse is a celebrity in football. It's akin to the hiring of Chuck Knox (although there is the unfortunate example of the Saints hiring Ditka too). Ryan is very confident in his abilities, and at least on defense he has a right to be. He also knows that the QB position has killed him over the years and that he simply has to get it right. He brought in a talented OC who a) worked with Andrew Luck and b) was part of an organization that benched and jettisoned a QB who was actually pretty solid (Alex Smith). Ryan and Roman can get 3 new guys in or 2 new guys in depending on whether they keep Manuel or not. It could be, say, McCown, Locker, and a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. Or it could be some combination of 2 of those plus Manuel.

Basically, it all comes down to whether they have any faith in Manuel. If they don't -- and whether they're wrong or not isn't the issue; their belief about him right now is -- then it makes perfect sense to dump him. Get three guys in who you think have a chance, and three is better than two. If you think Manuel doesn't have a chance, get rid of him. They have no ties to him, and neither does the owner. The only person with ties is Whaley, and I think he's been marginalized a bit. He may also have changed his tune too, but I don't know about that.

The missing salient fact in all of this is what the Ryan and Roman believe about Manuel. If they're pretty down on him, than Leroi's post begins to make sense.

Edited by dave mcbride

If the intention to cut EJ is true it tells me two things:

1. They are convinced he doesn't have what it takes to be a quality NFL QB.
  2. They don't want to taint the development of their next QB with an EJ drama.

This tells me that the Bills will be drafting a QB if EJ is cut. I agree with your #2. No real room for two developmental QB's. They must have someone in mind to draft. Although McCown? Not seeing the upgrade over Orton. And we should still get another QB in case he gets injured, etc. Would the Bills still look at another FA QB (Locker or Sanchez)? I can't see a rookie or Tuel being ready to take over if McCown got injured.

;

EJ will be cut and here's why. I bought his jersey year one. :oops:

stay away from all rookie jerseys!!! (I got Marcell year one. Perhaps we have the opposite effect, although Marcell was much more of a lock to be good than EJ).

Edited by RyanC883

Knowing how things work out for this teams karma the last 15 years, and all the players they can't seem to fit into their specific schemes at the moment. It would not surprise me at all to see the Bills sign McCown as a backup QB. Then when free agency opens they sign a Mark Sanchez. Or perhaps trade for RG3, Bradford or sign Jay Cutler. :sick: If Sanchez still stinks playing on one of the best offenses in the league...just imagine what he does behind that craptastic Bills line.

Meanwhile Chip Kelly picks up EJ, and sits him, then tutors him properly while removing all the moron stains that Can't Hackett embedded in him. Then watching EJ take the Eagles to the playoffs in a few years would be almost as bad at watching Lynch help the Seahawks get to a SB 2x.

Difference: Lynch demonstrated that he was a top RB while here. EJ has not. I'd still favor keeping EJ and brining in two FA QB's. We MUST bring in more than McCown