Rex Whaley emerging.

ChanOverChin

I think we can already see that the combination of Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan is going to be a good one. Believe it or not, many NFL GMs/HCs either don't get along or simply don't ever get on the same page because their philosophies are so different. That doesn't appear to be the case with Whaley and Ryan.

Ryan and Whaley seem to both believe that the way to best build this Bills team is through outstanding defense and a strong running game.

That seems to be a very wise game plan considering that the Bills don't have a proven strength at QB and play about half their season in cold, wintery weather (when it's not always conducive to throwing the football 40-50 times per game).

I thought that Whaley's QA session with the media was especially impressive. I really liked everything that he said and what he plans to do. I think that he started to show last year during the draft that he was willing to take chances, make trades (trade up, trade down), etc. to better the team.....unlike his predecessor, who always played it close to the vest (and who I thought set us back as the GM of the Bills). Whaley exudes a lot of confidence now. I think his association with Ryan (and Roman and their team of coaches) will embolden him to be aggressive in making the moves that need to be made in the offseason to get this team to the playoffs in 2015.

The bottom line is that Ryan knows what he needs to build a winner. Whaley seems to agree with what Ryan would like to do so I can see him doing everything he can to try to acquire certain type players at key positions. Ryan didn't get that type of support with NYJ. NYJ didn't retain the shutdown corners (Revis and Cromartie) or replace them adequately that Ryan needed for instance

On offense that means bigger RBs and a true blocking FB. More quality TEs. OLs who excel at blocking for the running game. A big WR to add to Watkins/Woods/Hogan. A QB like Manuel may have a good shot at succeeding in such an offense. Expect a vet QB to be added for sure though because of Manuel's youth/inexperience. Someone like McCown or Sanchez or Hoyer I would expect.

On defense that means adding a run stuffer (both DTs from the Jets are FAs, K. Ellis and Harrison). I think Ryan will look to add one or even both of them. Keeping Hughes and adding a hybrid DE (possibly a draft pick here or a former Jet). Adding LB D. Harris will likely be a priority to lead the defense Ryan's way. Harris could be priority #1 for Ryan. Spikes has a shot to stay as a part-time player. I don't see the Bills paying Searcy the big money so he will need to be replaced. I also don't see the Bills being able to acquire Revis. I do see the Bills adding at least one vet FA CB like V. Maxwell or Cromartie or Flowers. Here's an idea: they could add 2 of the 3 and then trade McKelvin and his $4.5M salary for a mid R1 pick.

Overall, I really like what I see from Whaley. He comes off as very bright, very energetic, and very resourceful.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still amazed that Doug Marrone thought he was going to win a battle with Whaley over the future of the team.

he didn't even realize that one of his best players wasn't on the field for half of a critical game, but that didn't stop him from demanding personnel control. Boss! Edited by YoloinOhio

While I agree everything is great between the two, I'm sure one month into the Doug Marrone era, those two got along also.

Great idea on the trade, just find me a GM dumb enough to make that trade. This isn't the NBA, few trades take place and only superstars garner 1st rounders in return.

There was an article coming out of Indy suggesting Indy trade their #1, #29 overall to Bufflo for Marcel D. While I'd want much more for Marcel, but if the thought is that's all you're going to get for him, you'd be lucky t oget a 3rd rounder for McKelvin.

I think we can already see that the combination of Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan is going to be a good one. Believe it or not, many NFL GMs/HCs either don't get along or simply don't ever get on the same page because their philosophies are so different. That doesn't appear to be the case with Whaley and Ryan.

Ryan and Whaley seem to both believe that the way to best build this Bills team is through outstanding defense and a strong running game.

Here's an idea: they could add 2 of the 3 and then trade McKelvin and his $4.5M salary for a mid R1 pick.

I am still amazed that Doug Marrone thought he was going to win a battle with Whaley over the future of the team.

He thought that because he had our resident used-car salesman named Russ Brandon on his side. Luckily the Pegulas didn't listen to him. I'm just hoping the days of this guy slithering himself into football decisions are over for good.

Kool-Aid or not Rex naturally builds relationships with people. It's important that the entire organization is on the same page. Since the Pegula's bought the team there has been significant movement, which is another notable positive change from the past. From the decisiveness demonstrated I have no doubt that the O-Line will be addressed and we will be ready for the ground and pound. EJ has a great opportunity, I hope he is able to seize it.

Edited by Catch it Sammy

I totally agree. I had the feeling Marrone made many game day decisions with the though of elevating his statue vs. Whaley. I think that might have impacted the play of some players as well. The 2015 season will be a very telling year...

The Kool-Aid is already flowing...

Beat me to it, my thoughts exactly. Its the annual off season kool aid party. Everyones invited!

Lol whatever. I think it comes with being a fan of any team...You try to find things to be optimistic about...the reason we all check into this board everyday.

Call it what you want, GO BILLS

I am a big fan of Whaley. For me, Whaley over Marrone was/is a no-brainer.

However, I am still not 100% sure how all this is going to pan out for Whaley...still too early to tell.

Marrone leaving, and then Polian snubbing the Bills, kind of left the Pegulas in an awkward position

I am inclined to think that they would have kept Whaley regardless, but you never know. The fact that the coach has to report to the owners, as opposed to the GM could turn out to be an issue too... not saying it will definitely, but we just have words now...the fact that there still seems to be the notion that the Pegulas want to hire a "football czar" type, even after the coaching hire, tells me they are still not completely sure if they have the front-office set up they want. They also want that czar to have input on draft/fa activity...that is telling me that the GM's performance is still under some scrutiny with the new owners.

The coach is a huge personality and seems to speak almost as if he is the GM at times...this could cause friction down the road, or it could be a great sign that everyone is simpatico... we just don't know yet. Let's get through the draft, and free agency period first... we will have a clearer view of things, once the team, with the new owner/coach/old GM face their first adversity.

Edited by Buftex

Lol whatever. I think it comes with being a fan of any team...You try to find things to be optimistic about...the reason we all check into this board everyday.

Call it what you want, GO BILLS

Give it 40 years or so, the off season kool aid buzz wears off after awhile.

And GO BILLS right back atcha

I'm still kind of skeptical of this entire Polian thing?? There was never any type of response out of Buffalo on it which maybe isn't surprising as I think TP is to classy for that. I think all Polian was asked to do was be an extra set of eyes and ears for Whaley, not to replace or demote him. All of a sudden he's talking about how he's bringing in AJ Smith, etc. Maybe at that point TP told him that wasn't the job I'm asking you to so, so then Polian backed out and came up with this "too heavy a lift" excuse.

Whole thing just doesn't add up IMO

Marrone leaving, and then Polian snubbing the Bills, kind of left the Pegulas in an awkward position