Chargers need to move;propose shared LA stadium w/Raiders

YoloinOhio

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in San Diego, and the fan base is loyal, but they don't go to games really... there's "better" things to do, so to speak. The fans would be bummed if the Chargers left, but they also aren't going to dole out billions to keep them there. It's a different environment. That being said, moving two-three hours up the road won't change a whole lot, I don't think... but Los Angeles Chargers sounds wrong.

I do, however, hope the Rams move back to LA.

They started in LA and moved to SD so moving back makes business sense. You already have a SoCal fan base. If they can build a stadium in a city like Irvine that is about 100 miles from SD, it is a good deal for the team and the fans. The current location for a possible staduim (Inglewood) is southwest f LA and not that close to SD.

They played one season in LA in the 60s. So I don't know if that really applies but I could see it being something they use to market the the move nationally.

As soon as they started trying to grab some of the LA market, they were on their way there IMO.

Just like the Bills belonged in Toronto and Buffalo wouldn't know any difference, right?

Technically, LA is the original home of the Chargers and the long-time home of the Rams. San Diego "stole" the Chargers in 1961 and St. Louis "stole" the Rams in 1995 if you want to go down that path. Conversely, Toronto has never been the home of the Buffalo Bills and aren't even in the same country.

More importantly, there's a big difference between moving upstate 120 miles than moving out of the country. San Diego has history, don't get me wrong, but that history could transfer to LA pretty seamlessly. Regarding the Chargers, also remember none of their fans are south of San Diego...that's Mexico. It's a move, yes, but still very much remaining in the Southern California family.

If another team like the Rams moves to LA, they don't think they can survive in SD because so many of their fans travel to the games from LA.

I feel their pain. We are so lucky.

That's a joke...San Diego is a very big city...1.3 million in the city itself and 3.1 million in the Metro area, ranking as the 2nd biggest city in the most populous state...

That's a joke...San Diego is a very big city...1.3 million in the city itself and 3.1 million in the Metro area, ranking as the 2nd biggest city in the most populous state...

it is ... But they have very few corporations hq there and a lot of transient military that don't buy season tix. They don't think they can sell the suites in a new stadium.

You do realize that if the same thing would have happened to us and we went to Toronto, they would have marketed the same exact thing, right?

Lots of folks missing the irony of the arguments they are making considering we are less than a year removed from the Toronto threat

@RapSheet: Wow RT @LATimesfarmer: The other cleat has dropped. -- Chargers, Raiders propose shared NFL stadium in Carson http://t.co/zPnzH8VW1u

Er.... share a stadium and play in same division?

@SportsCenter: Chargers and Raiders are moving forward together on plan to build $1.7-billion stadium in Los Angeles area. (via @latimes)

Well everybody can't play in LA! Chargers/Raiders/Rams/Jacksonville, somebody's going to lose. No matter who ends up there, the demographics won't support the NFL.

I'm not certain that's true anymore. The one thing LA can sell more than any other city outside of NYC are corporate suites and packages. And even though LA isn't seen as a great sports town (outside of baseball and basketball) the Kings draw, the Dodgers draw, the Angels draw, USC and UCLA both draw, of course the Lakers and Clips draw... I don't see football being different -- but that depends where the stadium goes.

@BFTB_Chargers: Sad day in San Diego. Chargers don't believe there's a solution, have said they can't wait around to find one. They're as good as gone.

@JasonPhilCole: Very strong remarks from #Chargers on new stadium in SD. Makes it clear that LA is an increasing option for them: http://t.co/2rpjDrWp6s

Screw LA

I'm not certain that's true anymore. The one thing LA can sell more than any other city outside of NYC are corporate suites and packages. And even though LA isn't seen as a great sports town (outside of baseball and basketball) the Kings draw, the Dodgers draw, the Angels draw, USC and UCLA both draw, of course the Lakers and Clips draw... I don't see football being different -- but that depends where the stadium goes.

the suites are one of the biggest issues here. SD just doesn't have the corporations located there to be able to sell the suites in a new stadium and that's what Goodell says they need to do.