How has this winter been

Ice bowl 67

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Blacksburg VA today, 24 outside but crystal clear blue sky, no wind...just a gorgeous amazing day in the Blue Ridge.

I love those days, love them even more when they are even colder. Just no wind, though!

And the time changes this weekend. I love that. I hate driving to work in the morning when the sun is out.

Yep! @ times here it causes "sunshine delays" for the morning rush. I love going to work the schedule I have been on for a month and a half. Right before Noon... Not a soul on the road, I can leave my house a whole 1/2 hour later than I do if I work the normal day grind! Only takes me 15-20 minutes and I still get in plenty early... Not to mention sleeping till the sun is warm!

We have another 4 days or so of 20 and below, then it's supposed to warm some. Theres a birdfeeder in my backyard. Or, there was before it was buried under the snowpack.

Gotta help your feathered friends and dig that out all winter! A little sweat equity for the ecology! Sheesh... They are depending on you... Oh wait, nevermind, you don't believe in welfare. :nana::nana: Every chickadee for themselves! :D

They are saying almost 60 here on Wednesday... I'd take that everyday of the year! Perfect!

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/IceImages/viewimage.cfm?filename=obrienup.jpg&lockname=O'Brien%20(Upper)

Mid 40's now here. It's March, you will see how quickly the sun works its magic. I have a northern exposure driveway. If it snows a couple of inches, I can cheat and not shovel half of it that is NOT blocked by the peak of the house! Only gets better as the month maches forth.

Many times I had the top off on my Jeep by mid-month... Cleaning it up and waxing the side rails of Jeep's body tub. There's 12" of pack ice on the river and Southern Lake Michigan right now (picture above, March 6th, udated periodically)... By end of month, the bassboats and fisherman will be out in force boating getting ready for the spring boating season!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• 2 weeks later...

Finally... Winter has broken... All the snow is gone... All the ice on western Southern Lake Michigan is gone, along with the river... Recreation/pleasure boats are starting to hit the water...

60 degrees this morning, going for a high of 75 today! Perfect... Got to work on my car's memory module outside yesterday... Enjoying the week off of work until next Saturday after working around 50 straight days in a row, 10-12 hours a day mostly outside.

Whooooo!!!!! Thanks winter, you've been a slice!

See, people were complaining about the winter not ending just 2 weeks ago. I said, look up, spring is coming. I was right. The snow is slowly disappearing (good thing it is not too fast- less chance of floding).

It has been warm enough that I can start walking around the neighborhood. The shoulders here in Cheektowaga are snow free.Went out 3 times last week and found that I can make it about 2/3 mile round trip. Use my mom's cane only on the return trip as the leg gets tired.Left one is the one that was affected by the stroke. No pain, but want to take a nap afterward and sometimes do. Will try to walk a house farther each time as to build my stamina and strength. Hope to be doing 1+ miles each way by the 1 year "anniversary" of my stroke in July. Buds on the trees should start appearing in the next couple of weeks and the robins should be back soon.

Finally... Winter has broken... All the snow is gone... All the ice on western Southern Lake Michigan is gone, along with the river... Recreation/pleasure boats are starting to hit the water...

60 degrees this morning, going for a high of 75 today! Perfect... Got to work on my car's memory module outside yesterday... Enjoying the week off of work until next Saturday after working around 50 straight days in a row, 10-12 hours a day mostly outside.

Whooooo!!!!! Thanks winter, you've been a slice!

You cannot be far from me. Your weather updates are usually spot on with the weather here in Madtown.

See, people were complaining about the winter not ending just 2 weeks ago. I said, look up, spring is coming. I was right. The snow is slowly disappearing (good thing it is not too fast- less chance of floding).

It has been warm enough that I can start walking around the neighborhood. The shoulders here in Cheektowaga are snow free.Went out 3 times last week and found that I can make it about 2/3 mile round trip. Use my mom's cane only on the return trip as the leg gets tired.Left one is the one that was affected by the stroke. No pain, but want to take a nap afterward and sometimes do. Will try to walk a house farther each time as to build my stamina and strength. Hope to be doing 1+ miles each way by the 1 year "anniversary" of my stroke in July. Buds on the trees should start appearing in the next couple of weeks and the robins should be back soon.

Glad you are doing well Wacka! AWESOME!

There is a flood warning in BFLO as we speak.

For however bad the winter was LAST year here and THIS year back east... Lake Erie has more 100% coverage in it's Eastern Basin than LAST year... That is hard to believe. Actually, this time last year is when the spring thaw also started to strike. Wow, right around the 21st or so, that can't be so! ;-)

But... You are 100% spot on! BUT, if you think of the "ice out" for eastern Lake Erie and removal of the Ice Boom was bad last year, it will be even worse this year IFF we don't get sustained warmth starting now!

Again... So glad you are progressing in health! :-)

You cannot be far from me. Your weather updates are usually spot on with the weather here in Madtown.

Madtown... Is that Madison, WI?

I am on the Illiana border... Due south of Chicago/Lake Michigan... About 18 miles from City Limits, 25 from Lake, and 30 from The Loop.

If it is Madison, that puts us about 170 miles away... BUT both windward (myself almost alee) of The Lakes... Brutal in the winter! YUCK, with a love/hate twist! BUT rapid warmth come springtime! Yay! Summer... Again, love/hate twist! ;-)

Glad you are doing well Wacka! AWESOME!

There is a flood warning in BFLO as we speak.

For however bad the winter was LAST year here and THIS year back east... Lake Erie has more 100% coverage in it's Eastern Basin than LAST year... That is hard to believe. Actually, this time last year is when the spring thaw also started to strike. Wow, right around the 21st or so, that can't be so! ;-)

But... You are 100% spot on! BUT, if you think of the "ice out" for eastern Lake Erie and removal of the Ice Boom was bad last year, it will be even worse this year IFF we don't get sustained warmth starting now!

Again... So glad you are progressing in health! :-)

Madtown... Is that Madison, WI?

I am on the Illiana border... Due south of Chicago/Lake Michigan... About 18 miles from City Limits, 25 from Lake, and 30 from The Loop.

If it is Madison, that puts us about 170 miles away... BUT both windward (myself almost alee) of The Lakes... Brutal in the winter! YUCK, with a love/hate twist! BUT rapid warmth come springtime! Yay! Summer... Again, love/hate twist! ;-)

Yep it's Madison. You are farther away than I thought. Enjoy the weather. I know I am, February was a long month this year!

Yep it's Madison. You are farther away than I thought. Enjoy the weather. I know I am, February was a long month this year!

You too SMTB! There is irony in there: "February was a long month this year!" LoL...

Almost 70 now...Exercising my stand-by gen set for the first time since October... Things are looking up! Bosswoman has me doing chores since I was MIA for 2 months... ;-) ;-)

Here is the last piece of snow for miles and miles in the MidWest... Protected by this timber and facing a due north exposure... Will be gone in just a few hours I suppose:

post-1877-0-43780700-1426530818_thumb.jpg

Sump pump has been cycling quickly all week after the frostline broke free... Finally today it is getting to a trickle... Good times, YAY!

Since my last post today,I went out again and doubled my distance walking! Went 0.6 miles down the street to my cardiologist's office. Went in and asked if I could rest my leg there for 5-10 minutes. Thanked them and walked back home. Heart was fine, just that the leg gets tired.

The office is right on Cayuga Creek and if you walk to the back of the parking lot, it is right above the creek. The creek is moving swiftly, but there are no ice chunks and it has several feet to go before flooding there. That area will not flood as the C of E did a lot of remediation after the flooding from Hurricane Agnes in 1972 and it hasn't flooded since(great work!). Had my phone wake me twice on Sunday night because there were flood alerts for Cayuga Creek in Bowmansville and Buffalo Creek in West Seneca, but those did't flood.

Since my last post today,I went out again and doubled my distance walking! Went 0.6 miles down the street to my cardiologist's office. Went in and asked if I could rest my leg there for 5-10 minutes. Thanked them and walked back home. Heart was fine, just that the leg gets tired.

The office is right on Cayuga Creek and if you walk to the back of the parking lot, it is right above the creek. The creek is moving swiftly, but there are no ice chunks and it has several feet to go before flooding there. That area will not flood as the C of E did a lot of remediation after the flooding from Hurricane Agnes in 1972 and it hasn't flooded since(great work!). Had my phone wake me twice on Sunday night because there were flood alerts for Cayuga Creek in Bowmansville and Buffalo Creek in West Seneca, but those did't flood.

Good to hear! I grew up just a few miles away in South Cheektowaga and went to West Seneca schools. My grandmother lived her last 10 years or so in those senior homes @ Cayuga Village (behind Timmy Ho's). My father was born on Cayuga Creek Road... Remember the "pink" house... That was his home. My granfather got the siding for free... LoL... Was going to change the color, but decided to keep it, the house was so easy to find! LoL

I wanna say The Corps came in and finished the flood control in the early 1980's since starting it after '72 Agnes. That would routinely flood. Places like where Dave's is would be under water. What was the grove right there called? I forget... Now up on BFLO Creek @ Union... That was "Island Park" where the nature center is now. Our church growing up was 14 Holy Helpers... The history around there @ Ebenezer is interesting too! That's where the Amana's started before moving to Iowa. As a child, I would walk BFLO creek with my older brother and we would spear for fish... Also fish the old dam (that they used for the race and mill) off of Clinton Street.

30 degree swing in the last 24 hours, the wrong way! And the wind is showing it! The isobars have to be packed tightly together. Going to 45 today... But 50's and 40's not bad and average for this time of the year. That 75 yesterday sure did feel nice!

Que sera sera...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois