How has this winter been

Ice bowl 67

This is actually good! I mentioned how Lake Ontario is freezing big time, more than even unusal years. This means The Lake elevations will be up, especially the uncontrolled Middle Lakes: Michigan, Huron, and Erie. More ice means Lake temps will be lower longer. When that happens, less evaporation takes place during the summer months (prime evaporation months). Less evaporation means less Lake water will get carried and fall out of basin/GL watershed... Again, this is very good for rising Lake water levels/elevations!

@ work, our upper pool is Lake Michigan. We have rebounded nicely the last year or so... We are rountinely in the positives. 0.00 (578.48' above mean sea level) gauge being neither high water or low water.

Keep up the good work Mother Nature!!!... Even if all these people are bellyaching. This is exactly what the doctored ordered for a healthy Great Lakes!

Okay, that is great about the lakes but when is the weather going to warm up. 9 degrees again this morning on the way to work. At least the days are getting longer I suppose. But this sh*t is getting old.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just be happy that you are here for another spring. The docs told me last July that if I hadn't gone in to the hospital (where I had a stroke) that I probably wouldn't have made it another month and had a massive stroke and /or had my remaining kidney fail. So some cold weather is nothing. It will warm up.

Just be happy that you are here for another spring. The docs told me last July that if I hadn't gone in to the hospital (where I had a stroke) that I probably wouldn't have made it another month and had a massive stroke and /or had my remaining kidney fail. So some cold weather is nothing. It will warm up.

Remaining kidney?

I had one removed when I was 4 back in 1961. Have been fine with only one since then, Parents were told I couldn't play tackle football or hockey or dive from a high board (things that could injure my remaining kidney). Growing to 5'4" precluded going out for these too.

My BP was up to 246/something just before my stroke in July. They said the high BP had damaged my kidney function and I go to a nephrologist now to keep an eye on it. They had to adjust my BP medsto make sure my kidney function is OK as diuretics can affect the kidneys. I have about 80-90 %of function left in the one I have.Keepung an eye on my diet too to keep salt intake low.Also loosing at least 55 lbs since last spring helps.

I am also looking forward to spring so that I can walk around the neighborhood with safety (we have no sidewalks)and not freeze.

Still not driving due to vision problems but they have been getting better. If I turn quickly, I get balance problems but not major. I weaned myself off a walker by October. No major memory or speech problems. (Ex: the guy on the Snickers commercial (Jan)). I know him but, for the life of me I can't remember his name when I want to. Just have to make lists to remember stuff, like Dr appointments or a list of my meds when I go to a new doctor. Scariest was laying in the hospital not knowing if I would be normal again

.My mom is 88 so I have been helping her out by taking the dog out, shoveling off the driveway (when there is a little snow), and going downstairs to do the wash. She can still cook and does the dishes when I am out doing the drive. My brother has a friend down the street that plows the drive after work when we get more than a few inches at a time.

Edited by Wacka

Still not driving due to vision problems but they have been getting better. If I turn quickly, I get balance problems but not major. I weaned myself off a walker by October. No major memory or speech problems. (Ex: the guy on the Snickers commercial (Jan)). I know him but, for the life of me I can't remember his name when I want to. Just have to make lists to remember stuff, like Dr appointments or a list of my meds when I go to a new doctor. Scariest was laying in the hospital not knowing if I would be normal again

.My mom is 88 so I have been helping her out by taking the dog out, shoveling off the driveway (when there is a little snow), and going downstairs to do the wash. She can still cook and does the dishes when I am out doing the drive. My brother has a friend down the street that plows the drive after work when we get more than a few inches at a time.

Okay I will stop complaining about the weather. Good luck to you. Thanks for reminding me to keep everything in perspective! :thumbsup:

No ****. I won't complain about anything anymore. Well at least for the next 30 minutes. :D

As I read this & look out the window & see it snowing again. Now there calling for rain/sleet mix tonight & then it is supposed to freeze over as the temp plummet to single digits thru Thursday. Dam this place!

Seriously, I don't know how people can get real depressions, etc. about weather.

Seriously, I don't know how people can get real depressions, etc. about weather.

It's more about a lack of sunlight. Exposure to sunlight has been proven to increase Seratonin production/reuptake in the brain. People who suffer from depression have been found to be Seratonin deficient. Therefore, those long, dark winters can actually cause depression.

As I read this & look out the window & see it snowing again. Now there calling for rain/sleet mix tonight & then it is supposed to freeze over as the temp plummet to single digits thru Thursday. Dam this place!

Ok my 30 minutes is officially up. Damn that **** sucks.

It's more about a lack of sunlight. Exposure to sunlight has been proven to increase Seratonin production/reuptake in the brain. People who suffer from depression have been found to be Seratonin deficient. Therefore, those long, dark winters can actually cause depression.

Yeah, I know about SAD - but I'm talking about people who are literally depressed because of how much snow or cold there is.

It's been quite sunny it seems to me, and the snow actually brightens things way more.

Yeah, I know about SAD - but I'm talking about people who are literally depressed because of how much snow or cold there is.

It's been quite sunny it seems to me, and the snow actually brightens things way more.

I guess it depends on your lifestyle. If you're one to get out and about during the winter, then you're probably happy. If you lock yourself inside for 5-6 months out of the year, then you'll probably be unhappy. Some people just B word about the weather because they're miserable and have nothing else to complain about.

I guess it depends on your lifestyle. If you're one to get out and about during the winter, then you're probably happy. If you lock yourself inside for 5-6 months out of the year, then you'll probably be unhappy. Some people just B word about the weather because they're miserable and have nothing else to complain about.

I'm miserable - but I'm miserable 12 months out of the year! LOL