Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

the negativity comes from us already watching this play out in 2012 and 2013. bring in FA QB, give him a lot of guaranteed money, watch EJ beat him out because FA QB sucks, watch EJ suck, insert sucky FA QB, sucky FA QB sucks and leaves town with a lot of guaranteed money and we are back in the same situation again next offseason.

I think we all just expected more. we are all feeling good about ourselves after getting this new coaching staff but we aren't going to the playoffs with Josh McCown and if we do it will be 1 and done so what's the point? our team is set up to win now. not eek by and hope to just make the wildcard playoffs. isn't the goal to win the Super Bowl? if it is then do whatever it takes to get a real QB. everyone has their price, be creative, make it happen

What in the world are you taking about? EJ was drafted in 2013. And the only time a vet lost the battle with EJ was thanks to a slippery mat.

EJ had never faced real competition in camp, and even if McCown is the only new QB (highly doubtful) added to camp, then the Bills are better than they are now.

Frankly, I don't know why I bother responding as you think Vick and Geno are better options.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL QB's have egos. They will look at this and say Bills got McCown so he's their guy. I want to go to someone who doesn't have a veteran guy like Houston or Tenn. That's why you never see teams get more than one highly sought after veteran FA QB's in one year

i don't put him, or anyone on the list this year, in that category. Fitz is still in Houston, btw.

McCown has more INT's than TD's in every year except ONE in his career. Not a positive stat nor is he a good option.

That's a terribly misrepresenting stat. He's played a total of 49 games over a 12 year career. He's only had 3 years where he's been the starter.

And actually he's had more TD's than INT's in TWO years (2013, 2004), so you are wrong.

Well if you dont think its possible the Bills will bring in another QB, then exactly what "more" were you expecting? A better FA? Who???

things haven't played out yet. the big things will happen closer to the draft. maybe i was expecting too much but i was definitely holding out hope that we could swing some kind of trade for a guy like Bradford or Foles. Mariota might fall and the Eagles might freak out and trade their entire team for him and Foles could have come on the cheap. who knows, crazier things have happened. in terms of FA guys, I like Sanchez and Hoyer and maybe even Locker over McCown. all of those guys have been "the guy" in the past. McCown was the guy last year in Tampa and we know what a trainwreck that was.

Josh McCown is a good backup QB but unfortunately QB desperate teams have inflated his status to that of a starter for some reason. he's no starter. and if the Bills are going to go into the regular season with EJ, McCown, and Tuel then we are screwed. I was just expecting more out of this coaching staff

That's a terribly misrepresenting stat. He's played a total of 49 games over a 12 year career. He's only had 3 years where he's been the starter.

And actually he's had more TD's than INT's in TWO years (2013, 2004), so you are wrong.

and take away those 8 games in chi two years ago and its 48 to 58

I'd be disappointed if the Bills didn't evaluate him and bring him in for a visit. The free agent market doesn't look great. The draft is not going to yield much where they are drafting and the Bills get a chance to have an experienced back-up with some starting work in early...his stats are crappy -- but he hasn't exactly played on stellar squads. For 5 games in 2013 he made the Bears look better than they looked with Cutler.

McCown career - 17-32 as a starter including 1-10 in 2014........

McCown after 2013 from Pro Football Focus.

Positives

Graded at +6.5 on passes in 11-20-yard range.

Showed well on 2nd-and-Long (+3.9) and 3rd-and-Long (+4.4).

Threw well to the middle (+9.9) and right (+6.4).

Posted leagues highest grade when pressured: +8.9.

Graded well against the blitz (+9.0) and against a traditional rush (+8.5).

Was at his best on 7-to-8-yard drop-backs (+15.7).

Excelled in the 2.6-to 3.0-second range (+12.5).

Graded at +18.1 when throwing to wide receivers (by alignment) including +9.5 to the slot and +8.6 to outside wide receivers.

Best routes were hitches (+5.9) and go routes (+7.0).

Negatives

Graded at -1.4 on designed rollouts.

Posted an average +0.1 grade on passes in the 31-to-40-yard range.

Graded at -0.9 on 4-to-6-yard drop-backs.

Graded at -0.6 on slants and -0.9 on post routes.

Tendencies

Faced the blitz only 27.6% of the time, eighth-lowest in the league.

Above the league average with 21.4% of drop-backs coming in the 4-to-6-yard range.

17.3% of drop-backs lasted 3.1-3.5 seconds, highest percentage in the league.

Threw only 40.1% of passes outside the numbers, sixth-lowest in the league.

Threw 78.3% of passes to wide receivers (by alignment), fourth-highest in the league.

Threw only 14.5% of passes to tight ends, tied for the lowest percentage in the league.

11.6% of targets were slants, second-highest in the league.

Actually, thus is better than I expected which isn't saying a lot. I absolutely don't want him starting. If EJ can't beat him out, I'm talking a long walk off a pier.

things haven't played out yet. the big things will happen closer to the draft. maybe i was expecting too much but i was definitely holding out hope that we could swing some kind of trade for a guy like Bradford or Foles. Mariota might fall and the Eagles might freak out and trade their entire team for him and Foles could have come on the cheap. who knows, crazier things have happened. in terms of FA guys, I like Sanchez and Hoyer and maybe even Locker over McCown. all of those guys have been "the guy" in the past. McCown was the guy last year in Tampa and we know what a trainwreck that was.

Josh McCown is a good backup QB but unfortunately QB desperate teams have inflated his status to that of a starter for some reason. he's no starter. and if the Bills are going to go into the regular season with EJ, McCown, and Tuel then we are screwed. I was just expecting more out of this coaching staff

So you would rather the Bills sit around and do nothing, and just hope that another team suddenly becomes really stupid, and we magically pull off a trade with them after they magically pull off a blockbuster trade, all based on a single, unlikely draft scenario.

This is what you are "disappointed" we are missing out on? Cmon man.

And I cant agree that Sanchez or Hoyer are any better of an option than McCown. Although, I wont say they are any worse either. We're dealing with one big pile of garbage as far as our options go. And with Rex as familiar with Sanchez as he is, the fact that we arent holding out to sign him must say something, right?

Edited by DrDareustein

So you would rather the Bills sit around and do nothing, and just hope that another team suddenly becomes really stupid, and we magically pull off a trade with them after they magically pull off a blockbuster trade, all based on a single, unlikely draft scenario.

This is what you are "disappointed" we are missing out on? Cmon man.

And I cant agree that Sanchez or Hoyer are any better of an option than McCown. Although, I wont say they are any worse either. We're dealing with one big pile of garbage as for as our options go. And with Rex as familiar with Sanchez as he is, the fact that we arent holding out to sign him must say something, right?

Let's also not forget, as of this moment, both Hoyer and Sanchez literally can't be talked to. But obviously we should be disappointed.

What in the world are you taking about? EJ was drafted in 2013. And the only time a vet lost the battle with EJ was thanks to a slippery mat.

EJ had never faced real competition in camp, and even if McCown is the only new QB (highly doubtful) added to camp, then the Bills are better than they are now.

Frankly, I don't know why I bother responding as you think Vick and Geno are better options.

Obviously I meant 2013 and 2014. Typo.

And it's a fact that Michael Vick is better than Josh McCown (are you really even arguing this because that's laughable) and it's a fact that Geno and EJ are pretty much neck and neck at this point in their careers. Rex is no better off with McCown and EJ than he was with Vick and Geno. It's a fact

Edited by kdiggz

The Bills need to be prepared in case those vet FAs, who they can't talk to you yet, don't sign here. They know they need a vet. Safety net. Also could be good in the film room.

Yea but the Bills could make a blockbuster trade, obviously. Just call the team up and make it happen.

It's a move they had to make and it is a very good move if they still acquire at least one more quarterback with a legit shot to be the starter. When your only two QBs are Knee-J Manuel and Jeff Fool you need to do something

The Bills need to be prepared in case those vet FAs, who they can't talk to you yet, don't sign here. They know they need a vet. Safety net. Also could be good in the film room.

I like the move but I hate "good in the film room". It's code for this guy is old and sucks. Coaches are good in the film room that's why they are coaches

It's a move they had to make and it is a very good move if they still acquire at least one more quarterback with a legit shot to be the starter. When your only two QBs are Knee-J Manuel and Jeff Fool you need to do something

plus Tuel is on the PS. The only QB on the active roster is EJ. They should totally sit by the phone though waiting for all those teams who are eager to trade their starting QB for future draft picks.

we can pick and choose which games to take away when posting stats? Sweet. Game changer.

if that's the case, lets take away EJ's pick 6 to Watt (to start)! and some of Orton's picks late in yr and we were a playoff team!!

LMAO