Bill still seeking to fill advisory roll - Ron Hill possible

Reed83HOF

I was worried when I saw "Browns" as his current employer, but since since he's been there less than a year, I think that's ok. I think its HUGE that this guy used to be the NFL's VP of Football Operations (Troy Vincent's predecessor). Provided he didn't have a falling out with Goodell (why would the NFL recommend him to Pegs then?), I think this will do us some good. I think its fairly common knowledge now that Goodell has his favorites - who knows, maybe this will help us if the Bills ever get in a bind punishment wise? It can't hurt.

EDIT: I would also imagine there's some advice he can offer to the Pegulas on the ongoing stadium situation.

Edited by TheLynchTrain

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What those fans dont know is Pegula did not want to go this route. He offeered a lot of money to Parise and Suter, more than any other team. They didnt want to come to Buffalo. He went after Jordan Staal, Staal wanted to play with his brother. This team would look very different today had those moves happened. We probably re-sign Ryan Miller and Pomnville. The Sabres probably are a 4th or 5th seed in the East.

So when Pegula saw not even money would land the premier guys his plan changed.

I don't deny that he looked into all available avenues. Although I do find it a little hard to believe that he offered substantially more than $98 mil each for Suter and Parise, which it obviously would have taken to get them away from Minnesota. The point is that once they decided to tank, pretty much everyone was on board, including Murray and Pegulas.

I don't deny that he looked into all available avenues. Although I do find it a little hard to believe that he offered substantially more than $98 mil each for Suter and Parise, which it obviously would have taken to get them away from Minnesota. The point is that once they decided to tank, pretty much everyone was on board, including Murray and Pegulas.

He offered over $100 million.

Pegula just hired an entire coaching staff. What would such an advisor do at this point?

My take...

Terry and Kim are busy people running a $4billion empire. The only way you do that is you have a CEO type overseeing each separate entity. In this case, call him a football czar. But, I doubt seriously pegs has the time or knowledge to oversee all the operations of an NFL team. Hence, hire someone that does.

No, dude, they fell apart three seasons ago, and yes, tanked for the last two. Well documented, and also a proven method for stock piling talent, and winning cups. You can not like the plan, but it was intentional.

Furthermore the advisers brought in to either organization are there not to run the team, but to advise the owners, who are new to both sports, and consult with the front office. What is the big effing deal if a man wants to have an adviser/consultant?

Is everything ok at home Mr. Weo? You cannot possibly look at everyday life with such a negative skew...

I challenge you to find one move the Pegulas have made that you like, and post about it. JUST ONE.

I think this is probably closer to correct than most theories I have read.

Prying the Bills out Ralph's deathly grip was the best move Pegula has done so far!

As for this advisor thing, someone said he would be a mentor to our GM. I just thought it was odd. No big deal. Chill Winston!

I just ask the questions boys. And that's all I've done here.

There's a sigficant number of posters who would spontaneously cheer if the Bills announced the hiring of "Madoff Hitler" LOL

If I buy a sports franchise with no experience running that kind of sports franchise, I want someone there to advise me since I don't necessarily talk the talk. You need someone who is going to help you sniff out BS and who can spot good things too. A great mechanic knows when he's dealing with a crap mechanic. And also a good one. That is what this guy will be able to bring to new owners. Plus, all his previous experience. I think it's a smart hire.

Not trying to be sarcastic.... but then why do the Bills need Whaley. Maybe this talent evaluator should be named GM or Dir. of Player Personnel and send Whaley packing. I'm on West Coast so maybe there's more to the story but this is scary to me. If one is needed let's get him quick because free agency will soon be here. Oh and on an unrelated note.... Garrett Grayson (Colorado St QB) is better than E.J. Manuel. If we can get him and a decent FA QB I will be thinking playoffs this year.

I am trying to figure out how people equate a tank plan in NHL to what Pegula is trying to do in the NFL

- This team is really not that far away....our identity is our dominating defense......we got one of the best D minds in the NFL to be our HC

- Then they go out and get a OC with a bunch of playoff and super bowl experience

They are filling spots with guys that have experience and know what they are doing....and now people are worried that we might be getting too many of them?

Do people really just need something negative to focus on no matter what? Keep bringin em in Terry!

I am trying to figure out how people equate a tank plan in NHL to what Pegula is trying to do in the NFL

- This team is really not that far away....our identity is our dominating defense......we got one of the best D minds in the NFL to be our HC

- Then they go out and get a OC with a bunch of playoff and super bowl experience

They are filling spots with guys that have experience and know what they are doing....and now people are worried that we might be getting too many of them?

Do people really just need something negative to focus on no matter what? Keep bringin em in Terry!

It doesn't make sense to me either

Because the negative people that don't know jack about the Sabres heard they hired an adviser, so if the Bills do it instantly means the same thing to them so they can B word.

It doesn't make sense to me either

They aren't, at all. They're completely ignoring the tank plan, that it' the right thing to do, that the NHL in this respect is far different than the NFL, that this year, 2015 is the only year you would want to do it, and these ignorami are making it appear, falsely, that the Sabres losing is Pegula's responsibility and fault, and that the stuff he did for the Sabres, like installing a veteran mentor like Craig Patrick, won't help the Bills it will hurt and make them lose more.

All of which is ill-informed crap of the lowest order.

Not for nothing, but the state of the franchise is not good. That team has won 55 games over the past 3 seasons. What is the real value added for a guy like this? Pegula isn't a new NHL owner...

Why do you insist on being purposely being ignorant? The Sabres are widely considered around the NHL to be a team that is doing one of the best jobs of rebuilding. They're prospect pool is currently considered the best in the league by many sources. You can't just flip a switch and say "We're awesome and gonna win games." I'm not sure where you got that idea from..

--------------------

I'm not sure what's confusing. The Pegula's are not football experts. They don't have the necessary experience to judge Whaley's job performance. So they are going to hire someone who does..

Edited by jeremy2020

Prying the Bills out Ralph's deathly grip was the best move Pegula has done so far!

As for this advisor thing, someone said he would be a mentor to our GM. I just thought it was odd. No big deal. Chill Winston!

I just ask the questions boys. And that's all I've done here.

There's a sigficant number of posters who would spontaneously cheer if the Bills announced the hiring of "Madoff Hitler" LOL

Nah, I don't like ex-patriots working with the Bills.

I understand all of that, good points. It would have made more sense to bring in such a guy before you pick your HC--which is the most important decision the owner will ever make. That's when you want sage counsel with decades of experience. This other stuff (practice scheduling, PR, Travel, scouting) is house keeping stuff.

That "house keeping" stuff makes all the difference in the world to a player and to how other players view your organization. That can, and often does, translate to wins on the field in more ways than you would think. You're right that the "house keeping" stuff isn't as high profile a decision as picking out a head coach, but that doesn't mean the rest isn't important. Finding a way to do something better or more efficiently than your competition -- at every level of the organization -- is the best way to build a winning club.