could Buffalo become a Head Coach prime destination?

This tweet by Jay Skurski says:

Rex Ryan, briefly introducing his coordinators, jokes "I'm lucky my owner has deep pockets."

---

When coaches decide on taking a job, wouldn't the wealth (compared to other owners) be a very major factor?

I would think that the wealth of the owner is probably more important for front office/coaches types rather than for players (unless it's a contract in the upper tiers perhaps).

Just another +1 for Pegula...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex Ryan, briefly introducing his coordinators, jokes "I'm lucky my owner has deep pockets."

---

When coaches decide on taking a job, wouldn't the wealth (compared to other owners) be a very major factor?

I would think that the wealth of the owner is probably more important for front office/coaches types rather than for players (unless it's a contract in the upper tiers perhaps).

Are you already replacing Rex?

---

It is more relevant when it comes to assistant coaches and facilities. Head Coaches are usually in the same range but the next tier is where the difference is made.

No...

More just reflecting how awesome it is to not be one of the poor teams...

Who's poor? Each owner collects 190 million in shared revenue each year, and that's just a fraction of their income. This league is a good ol' boys club. Your guy is going to have to stand in line to become Goodells next side chick. And Woody Johnson has been waiting 15 years, so take a number.

I'd imagine the money thing is more than 50% of most coaches' decision when deciding where to go. I mean very few people are going to be motivated purely for love of the game at the professional level.

And yeah, it's freaking awesome to finally have an owner that's loaded. =D

Was Ralph Wilson strapped for cash????? He was an owner since the AFL days wasn't he. He should have had more money than God. No?

It is more relevant when it comes to assistant coaches and facilities. Head Coaches are usually in the same range but the next tier is where the difference is made.

Head coaches in the NFL range from 3 million to 8 million a year. Not at all in the same range.

I have always felt since there is no salary cap on coaches that's where owners should spend.

Yep how awesome it is to not be the Jets. Rex can breath again.

Jets aren't poor, Woody is just cheap. I am thrilled we signed Bowels, but there were guys like Shanahan & Fox who would demand big bucks ... and therefore Woody wouldn't even meet with them.

Woody Johnsons net worth would make your eyes hurt if I typed it here, and I love my Buffalo Bills buddies here so I won't type it.

Hey Momentoftrth - If you watch the video at buffalobills.com of Rex walking in the locker room, he was shocked how nice it was. I was wondering if the Jets and Giants share the same locker room at MetLife. If so, maybe the "facilities" are a selling point for Buffalo. A new stadium even more so.

---

All of the owners have deep pockets. Even the ones who are not as wealthy as a Jones or Pegula are filthy rich. The amount of money the owner has, I doubt is a real consideration. The major factor is more likely the owner's track record in how they choose to use the money. It speaks well of the Pegulas that they are giving Rex what he feels he needs to compete (the number of coaches on his staff.) They are building a up a good "credit"history in the league.

Who's poor? Each owner collects 190 million in shared revenue each year, and that's just a fraction of their income. This league is a good ol' boys club. Your guy is going to have to stand in line to become Goodells next side chick. And Woody Johnson has been waiting 15 years, so take a number.

Was Ralph Wilson strapped for cash????? He was an owner since the AFL days wasn't he. He should have had more money than God. No?

Head coaches in the NFL range from 3 million to 8 million a year. Not at all in the same range.

I have always felt since there is no salary cap on coaches that's where owners should spend.

Jets aren't poor, Woody is just cheap. I am thrilled we signed Bowels, but there were guys like Shanahan & Fox who would demand big bucks ... and therefore Woody wouldn't even meet with them.

Woody Johnsons net worth would make your eyes hurt if I typed it here, and I love my Buffalo Bills buddies here so I won't type it.

Dang, I keep forgetting we have an enemy presence in the room :lol:

Pegula's ranked 4th in NFL owners as follows:

Allen - Seahawks- $15 bil.

Kronkie- Rams-$5.2 bil.

Ross - Dolphins - $5 bil.

Pegula - Bills - $4.75 bil.

Glazier family - Bucs - $4.3 bil.

He has demonstrated he's willing to spend, and I have no negative comments on Johnson as I'm not well informed enough on his habits. Wilson was always known for being cheap with coaches for the zest guys on the board. The last marquee coach we brought in prior to Rex ( Rex was considered nationwide as the top coaching candidate this off-season ) was Chuck Knox. He was a hot commodity after success with the LA Rams. Some want to say Levy, but that's revisionist history as he failed in KC, and was in the CFL when we picked him up.

It's all in the past, and Pegula has shown so far a penchant for investing in our team. Once we have a state of the art stadium, and some playoff appearances, this team will go back to being a very attractive location for any coaches. This doesn't mean I don't like the Rex hire. Roman has a nice track record so this hire will be very important to our success.

Pegula's ranked 4th in NFL owners as follows:

Allen - Seahawks- $15 bil.

Kronkie- Rams-$5.2 bil.

Ross - Dolphins - $5 bil.

Pegula - Bills - $4.75 bil.

Glazier family - Bucs - $4.3 bil.

He has demonstrated he's willing to spend, and I have no negative comments on Johnson as I'm not well informed enough on his habits. Wilson was always known for being cheap with coaches for the zest guys on the board. The last marquee coach we brought in prior to Rex ( Rex was considered nationwide as the top coaching candidate this off-season ) was Chuck Knox. He was a hot commodity after success with the LA Rams. Some want to say Levy, but that's revisionist history as he failed in KC, and was in the CFL when we picked him up.

It's all in the past, and Pegula has shown so far a penchant for investing in our team. Once we have a state of the art stadium, and some playoff appearances, this team will go back to being a very attractive location for any coaches. This doesn't mean I don't like the Rex hire. Roman has a nice track record so this hire will be very important to our success.

Rumor out there he is closing on another multi-billion dollar land deal.

Some believe he is worth closer to $7 Billion.

I think the thread title is misleading; I believe what the OP is trying to suggest is that Buffalo is becoming an assistant coach prime destination. Rex is already a headliner and the Pegulas have shown they will not draw the purse strings tight with respect to building the organization.

The failure to lure highly credentialed, sought-after assistants is part of what held this franchise back under Ralph --- I'd say the "Ralph is cheap" mantra applied solely to the area of paying coaches, not players.

Ralph's entire worth was wrapped in the team's value. It's kind of like having $50,000 of equity in your house because you own it, but that money isn't cash you can spend unless you sell the house.

A complete misunderstanding of finances. Your house is not making you money, unless you have rental property. The Bills were making at least $20 million per year profit. Ralph also had other businesses. Which are still making the family money.

To take you example to the extreme. The equity of the Bills is at least 1 Billion... so in theory RCW could have secured loans against the value to invest in other businesses.

Plus, didn't RCW often loan huge amounts of money to other teams to keep them afloat. Ralph was very rich, just not Pegulia rich.

Edited by Iraq Vet