could Buffalo become a Head Coach prime destination?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many coaches on their first contract are getting as much as Rex? His replacement in NY is getting only $4MM x 4. Rex is getting $5.5 x 5. I bet many of the top ten coaches you cite are on extensions.

Carroll was getting 6.7 million before his extension.

Fisher was signed for 7 million a year.

Kelly was signed for 7 million.

Andy Reed 6 million.

Three of those guys were retreads, just like Rex.

All of the big name coaches are hugely rich.. I get that. The difference in salaries are kinda small in relative terms.

I think the original post was trying to say Buffalo is now a destination because of the wealth of the owner. Not their individual salaries. Terry can buy good people to surround the coach. Good trainers, good staff, good coaches, good equipment... it all helps a coach say "heck yeah... Buffalo might stink, but the pieces are there to build and the support is there."

These HC's have huge egos... if you have the infrastructure in place.. it makes it that much easier to build a winner and be that coach that returned a team to glory. Rex pulls this off and we go to a SB... he is set for life and is remembered as a great coach. They all want a legacy! Which goes back to ego.

Your going to sign with a team that give you the best chance to be remembered as great. We might have that now from a structural standpoint. Talent can be drafted and bought in free agency. Does Buffalo have the structure in place to now sell that to future HC's? I think we do.

We are hoping that Rex is here for 10-15 years, but it's good to know that we have owners that are willing to do whatever it takes to get the best of the best. I like Rex, I think he will keep things interesting for years to come. They didn't want to get rid of him in NY even after years of terrible teams. I think we know what we are getting with him. We will have a good defense and a lot of fun press conferences and the players are going to get someone who is hard nosed at times but fun and knows how to motivate. The offensive stuff is on Roman and the personnel is on Whaley. All of these guys have to work together to make the perfect team. So I don't want Rex to be on the hot seat in 3 years when our offense is still terrible. It's not his fault if they can't get a QB in here in the near future. He's going to do his part and it's up to everyone else to do theirs

Edited by kdiggz

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11599/11599

So if the team was valued at just under a billion dollars, and Ralph Wilson isn't on the Forbes 1000 list but someone with a net worth of $1 billion is, what does that tell you?

This link lists the top 19 wealthiest owners all the way down to a billion dollars and Ralph Wilson isn't even listed:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/26/paul-allen-is-the-richest-nfl-owner/

Your turn. Please provide a link showing that Ralph Wilson's net worth was more than what the franchise was worth by even a slightly significant margin.

You referring to sports websites on owners values? LOL

Oh by the way Forbes guesses at net worth (and are often wrong). There are several people that are not on that list because their holdings are not public at all. Remember Forbes undervalued the last 3 NFL team sales... there were not even close.

Most extremely wealthy people hide their wealth... for several reasons (some legal/tax reasons, some are just very private people) Knowing Ralph like we did... it seems to me he might have been like that a little bit.

I read somewhere that the Mars candy fortune people are almost hermits that way there are secret about their wealth. They never talk to the press, their donations to charity are done in secret. Some say they are the wealthiest people in the world but no one knows for sure. Hiding your wealth is smarter than flunting it.

Edited by Iraq Vet

There are only 32 NFL head coaching positions available in the world. Who wouldn't think its a prime destination?

I assure you, the only people who think that buffalo isn't a prime destination are trolls and insecure Bills fans.

Edited by playoffman

There are only 32 NFL head coaching positions available in the world. Who wouldn't think its a prime destination?

I assure you, the only people who think that buffalo isn't a prime destination are trolls and insecure Bills fans.

Obviously, but if you were a coach, you would much rather coach the Los Angeles Rams, over, say, The Cleveland Browns, if given both opportunities and equal money.

Hey Momentoftrth - If you watch the video at buffalobills.com of Rex walking in the locker room, he was shocked how nice it was. I was wondering if the Jets and Giants share the same locker room at MetLife. If so, maybe the "facilities" are a selling point for Buffalo. A new stadium even more so.

Our practice facility and stadium are brand new. No way yours is any nicer. Rex is all about showing his enthusiasm, so you could have had **** hole locker room and he was going to tap dance

So I just provided two links which you asked for that show that Ralph Wilson's net worth was under a billion dollars while the team was worth over $900 million, meaning more than 9/10ths of his wealth was tied up in the team, and your response is "I'm putting you on ignore?" And I'm out of MY league? Ok guy.

Relax. It seems that BPA just wants to argue today.

You referring to sports websites on owners values? LOL

Oh by the way Forbes guesses at net worth (and are often wrong). There are several people that are not on that list because their holdings are not public at all. Remember Forbes undervalued the last 3 NFL team sales... there were not even close.

Most extremely wealthy people hide their wealth... for several reasons (some legal/tax reasons, some are just very private people) Knowing Ralph like we did... it seems to me he might have been like that a little bit.

I read somewhere that the Mars candy fortune people are almost hermits that way there are secret about their wealth. They never talk to the press, their donations to charity are done in secret. Some say they are the wealthiest people in the world but no one knows for sure. Hiding your wealth is smarter than flunting it.

Thanks, apparently a certain poster cannot comprehend what most people know, maybe it will catch his attention if I bump it.

This tweet by Jay Skurski says:

Rex Ryan, briefly introducing his coordinators, jokes "I'm lucky my owner has deep pockets."

---

When coaches decide on taking a job, wouldn't the wealth (compared to other owners) be a very major factor?

I would think that the wealth of the owner is probably more important for front office/coaches types rather than for players (unless it's a contract in the upper tiers perhaps).

Just another +1 for Pegula...

Obviously