Josh Gordon fails another drug test; 1-yr banishment

YoloinOhio

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was actually a really nicely written letter by Josh Gordon and I agree with him completely

Times are changing and 1/4 of all US adults have either smoked or do smoke weed, it is becoming legal in many states and within the next 10 years it will be legal all over the country.

When I was younger I used to think that Ricky Williams was an idiot for smoking pot and jeopardizing his playing career, but you know what, he was ahead of the times. This criminilization of a drug that has way less negative impacts on society compared to alcohol needs to end.

Just because in ten years it will be legal all over the country doesn't mean an employer has to accept it and let their people do it. Employers can still hold a zero tolerance on drug use and submit employees to random tests. So even if they legalize it, the NFL can still say it's a banned substance and he's still screwed.

Good news, Josh. No one will be over-analyzing your life anymore since you're stupid choices with drugs and alcohol have just about killed your career. Blame your dad for not being there. Blame the environment you grew up in and the guys you grew up with. But if what you say is true, and you dont have a problem, then I have no sympathy for you anymore. These were just your stupid choices. Key word being "YOUR" choices.

You're one of my favorite posters here but I think your bias against him is clouding some judgment. he spent a LOT of time in that letter blaming himself. He blamed himself more than the media or his upbringing. He was pissed that people that never met him, talked to him, or know anything about his case are acting like concerned citizens, especially Cris Carter, when they were worse than him.

And four drinks on a cross country trip to Vegas with your teammates is not out of control, sorry. It may be stupid, but that part I actually believed. That he didn't know it was for after the season and only thought it was in season, which a lot of this stuff is.

I didn't say drinking on the plane was out of control. I meant it didn't make sense to say "I'm not much of a drinker. I'm not even a social drinker." And then have 4 drinks on the plane when you are being tested for alcohol. Just say you had drinks on the plane, it was stupid, and leave it at that.

As an individual who works in PR- there is no way he wrote that all by himself......

then Lord Mac, as a professional, I'm sure you know that nobody writes anything all by themselves.. if they did, you wouldn't have a job.

The league's hang up on Josh Gordon is pathetic. Almost as pathetic as the hundreds of pages this board has dedicated to deflategate.

Edited by TaskerTough

then Lord Mac, as a professional, I'm sure you know that nobody writes anything all by themselves.. if they did, you wouldn't have a job.

The league's hang up on Josh Gordon is pathetic. Almost as pathetic as the hundreds of pages this board has dedicated to deflategate.

I'm with you. Then you have these people that are hung up on the people who are hung up on the people who hung up on Josh Gordon! I sawey we just 'Kill Em' All'

I'm with you. Then you have these people that are hung up on the people who are hung up on the people who hung up on Josh Gordon! I sawey we just 'Kill Em' All'

I think it is a polarizing topic. Natural to have a lot of dissension because it extends outside the sport and into life.

Just because in ten years it will be legal all over the country doesn't mean an employer has to accept it and let their people do it. Employers can still hold a zero tolerance on drug use and submit employees to random tests. So even if they legalize it, the NFL can still say it's a banned substance and he's still screwed.

I understand by its draconian.

Smoking pot on your own time has nothing to do with how you perform at your job. Drug testing is a joke. You can literally blow lines of coke and be clear in a day or two. Same thing for heroine, esctacy, methamphetamines....you name it. Smoke pot and you can have it in your system for a month. So really when you drug test an employee all your really testing for is whether or not they smoke pot.

Times are a changin' and thank god.

I understand by its draconian.

Smoking pot on your own time has nothing to do with how you perform at your job. Drug testing is a joke. You can literally blow lines of coke and be clear in a day or two. Same thing for heroine, esctacy, methamphetamines....you name it. Smoke pot and you can have it in your system for a month. So really when you drug test an employee all your really testing for is whether or not they smoke pot.

Times are a changin' and thank god.

Times may be changing but that's not going to just open the country up and allow everyone to smoke pot. The US Military isn't going to start letting people get high, major sports leagues may come around eventually, but it's an issue we really don't know how it will play out. Personally I've never done the stuff so I have zero experience with it, but to each their own, until it has an impact on my life or my family I won't worry about it as much as other people may.

I didn't take it that way. I took it that as soon as he landed he saw on his phone there was a test. And that the NFL probably knew he was going to Vegas and that's why they made him test immediately.

And why shouldn't they? Guy says he's not going to drink--they have a right to check that out. He should have expected this then, no?

Despite what his ghostwriter projects, this kid, if his own story about the booze on the plane is true, is too stupid to continue in the NFL--and that is really saying something.

Do we believe him? Do we believe he wrote this himself? Do you read this and wish the Bills would take a chance on him?

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/an-open-letter-to-charles-barkley-co-cb5c4e64cf3

Wow, great piece - thanks for posting! My answers to your questions:

1.) Yes, although I wouldn't be surprised if he's downplaying his drinking - "social drinker would be an exaggeration", etc. But I believe 100% of what he says about smoking pot (which is fully backed up by his testing history), and I believe his general point that he's not an alcoholic.

2.) It's extremely well-written, and I have to assume he had a ghost writer - which is fine. I'm way over the "OMG ghost writer HE'S A PHONY!" mentality I had when I was younger. Gordon had something interesting to say, but expecting a 23-year-old pro athlete who grew up poor to also be a talented writer is asking too much. Politicians use ghost writers for their books all the time, and not only are they older and better educated than Gordon, their jobs actually involve convincing people of things with their words. So my answer is, "No, but I don't care." I'd rather read a well-written piece that effectively conveys the "author's" ideas than a ghost writer-free piece that obscures all the interesting ideas with clunky writing.

3.) Absolutely yes, but I don't think we'll have a chance.

I didn't say drinking on the plane was out of control. I meant it didn't make sense to say "I'm not much of a drinker. I'm not even a social drinker." And then have 4 drinks on the plane when you are being tested for alcohol. Just say you had drinks on the plane, it was stupid, and leave it at that.

I don't see the distinction. The term "social drinker" to me means that you do drink, and perhaps even drink fairly often with friends or family, a few at a time but not to excess. And he was saying that he is not even that. He doesn't drink frequently at all. I'm not sure if that is true or not but I know what he was getting at, and that four drinks on a 4-5 hour flight with teammates is not a cause for alarm or indication he has a drinking problem.

I don't think he's an addict. He isn't some tragic example. He's right about that. He's just stupid. We always want some grandiose explanation for everything but sometimes it is just that simple. I talk to people who cover the team every day. This guy surrounds himself with enablers (who are all family members), he has been offered tons of help time after time by the team and the league, and he refuses to take it. I can't believe anyone takes him seriously at this point.

I didn't take it that way. I took it that as soon as he landed he saw on his phone there was a test. And that the NFL probably knew he was going to Vegas and that's why they made him test immediately.

He knows he can be tested at any time. He is tested about 12/month. He is not allowed to drink as part of his treatment program. He is not a victim.

And why shouldn't they? Guy says he's not going to drink--they have a right to check that out. He should have expected this then, no?

Despite what his ghostwriter projects, this kid, if his own story about the booze on the plane is true, is too stupid to continue in the NFL--and that is really saying something.

It depends on what the real story is.

Personally, if the guy is not known to have a drinking problem, and it's not illegal, and he is made to agree to not drink at all during the season in order for him to be re-instated, then they should just randomly check him. They shouldn't try to nail him waiting in Vegas. That's my personal viewpoint. I have no sympathy or love for Josh Gordon. I'm only going by what I think is fair. I said before this letter came out that it was stupid and unfair for the league to tell him he couldn't have a drink, or a few. It's not illegal. There is no indication he had a drinking problem.

He knows he can be tested at any time. He is tested about 12/month. He is not allowed to drink as part of his treatment program. He is not a victim.

I don;t know the real terms of the agreement. His argument, which is entirely believable to me, that he didn't think he could be tested at any time. That the drinking ban ended when the season ended. It was a requirement for his reinstatement and his suspension to be dropped by a couple games.

Maybe that was just an excuse. Maybe not. It's believable both ways.

Doesn't sound like he is sorry... Only sorry he got caught.

Kicked out of Baylor. Suspended from the NFL. Now blaming ignorance of rules and upbringing? He must just be incredibly unlucky! How did all of these 23 year old (even younger!) NFL players from who had tough upbringings manage to not get suspended 3 !@#$ing times?! Or is it 4? I've lost count!