Why isn't there more talk about resigning Brandon Spikes?

Vinaccia

Brandon Spikes plain and simple was a big factor in the Bills defense last year. He is the voice of leadership, motivation, and winning mindset. He's also a notable player in stopping the running game. He is big, has an attitude, and is extremely athletic. Yet with the push for Hughes, the Spikes discussion has been almost nonexistent after he made the comment last month that he's been the happiest he's been in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills. One month later there really isn't any discussion about him. What are your feelings on this? With Kiko coming back do you think Brandon Spikes has a particular position that is important to this defense?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spikes is important to retain because his number should be >$3mm/yr. and he is only 27.

I think they've been slow on the retention of players due to the change ups in the organization. A lot of shake ups. I think contracts will roll out in a week or two. Searcy and Spikes are two players we must resign. Wynn is up there, too. Hughes is a completely different subject but we need Spikes and Searcy. They're the players good teams have.

Brandon Spikes plain and simple was a big factor in the Bills defense last year. He is the voice of leadership, motivation, and winning mindset. He's also a notable player in stopping the running game. He is big, has an attitude, and is extremely athletic. Yet with the push for Hughes, the Spikes discussion has been almost nonexistent after he made the comment last month that he's been the happiest he's been in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills. One month later there really isn't any discussion about him. What are your feelings on this? With Kiko coming back do you think Brandon Spikes has a particular position that is important to this defense?

I'm with you. As Big Tuna once said, " you can never have too many good LBs"

I understand the talent at the position (kiko, bradham, brown) but Spikes was more than just a two down player. He imposes his physical will on RBs, is a great veteran leader and a proven player. I think they should be trying to get him back at a reasonable price.

Preston Brown is a better, cheaper option, IMO. In the second half of the season, Spikes was getting fewer snaps and seemed to have lost a step. He'd be a good depth guy, but I suspect he'd like to remain a starter somewhere else...

perhaps the lack of discussion on Spikes has had to do with what HC the Bills would hire and what D alignment would be implemented. Now that we know that it's Rex and an attacking, hybrid 3-4, I'm sure the Bills are looking at LB options.....sounds like Mario, Making Plans for Nigel, Preston/Spikes, and Kiko.

Regardless of the outcome on Spikes, I'm excited as hell about watching this D next season.

There is a good chance that one of the LB, one of the D-linemen, one or two of the secondary guys will suffer an injury and miss significant time. You just can't pay every single player on the roster what they think they deserve. Some guys are going to have to sacrifice to be a part of something special. I'm sure the Bills would love to have ALL of their contract guys back, but some will have to make a decision to do what's best for the team.