Upcoming Contracts to Consider

Rob's House

Over the next 4 years we have some key players that will be awfully expensive to retain.

Cordy Glenn

Marcel Dareus

Stephon Gilmore

Kiko Alonso

Robert Woods

Preston Brown

Sammy Watkins

Assuming these guys continue to play up to what one would expect based on their performance thus far, I would estimate their salaries will amount to somewhere in the vicinity of $70 mil/yr.

Over that period we'll likely drop Kyle Williams salary, Mario's will probably go down quite a bit, and the salary cap will certainly rise a bit; but I don't see how that will free up that kind of cash, and we'll also need to find a QB over that time as well.

Can the FO realistically keep the core of the team together for the next 5+ years, and if so, how?

Over the next 4 years we have some key players that will be awfully expensive to retain.

Cordy Glenn

Marcel Dareus

Stephon Gilmore

Kiko Alonso

Robert Woods

Preston Brown

Sammy Watkins

Assuming these guys continue to play up to what one would expect based on their performance thus far, I would estimate their salaries will amount to somewhere in the vicinity of $70 mil/yr.

Over that period we'll likely drop Kyle Williams salary, Mario's will probably go down quite a bit, and the salary cap will certainly rise a bit; but I don't see how that will free up that kind of cash, and we'll also need to find a QB over that time as well.

Can the FO realistically keep the core of the team together for the next 5+ years, and if so, how?

Good topic for discussion...

Realistically, they need to get Glenn and Dareus done quickly. I'd think that at least one of them needs a new deal before the season.

Gilmore is the kind of player that you sign as soon as possible as well, as one full season of play at the level he finished last season at will make him insanely expensive on the open market.

I could easily see Woods and Brown not being retained--not because they aren't good players, but simply that there will be other guys at their positions to pay.

As for guys who will be released, extended, or restructured, I'd imagine it looks like this:

Mario - extended

Kyle - released

Chandler - released

McKelvin - released

Wood - restructured

Urbik - released

Realistically, they need to get Glenn and Dareus done quickly. I'd think that at least one of them needs a new deal before the season.

Gilmore is the kind of player that you sign as soon as possible as well, as one full season of play at the level he finished last season at will make him insanely expensive on the open market.

I could easily see Woods and Brown not being retained--not because they aren't good players, but simply that there will be other guys at their positions to pay.

As for guys who will be released, extended, or restructured, I'd imagine it looks like this:

Mario - extended

Kyle - released

Chandler - released

McKelvin - released

Wood - restructured

Urbik - released

I kind of thought the same about Woods and Brown. With guys like Urbik, Chandler, and to a lesser extent Mclovin, it feels to me like the bulk of whatever you save on their salaries you're going to have to reallocate to role players and/or their replacements. I'm just having trouble reconciling it all in my head.

Cordy Glenn

Marcel Dareus

Stephon Gilmore

Kiko Alonso

Robert Woods

Preston Brown

Sammy Watkins

Add in to that Nigel Bradham.... and if he continues to progress Seantrel Henderson possibly

The OP is really trying to bring up the topic of "upcoming contracts" and then mention two rookies in the list? Huh?

And the simple answer is you have to replace the cheap rookie contracts with draft picks who can play at a high level. You pay the few you don't think you can replace and "next man up" the rest.

Mario - extended

Kyle - released

Chandler - released

McKelvin - released

Wood - restructured

Urbik - released

some how Kyle stays a Bill forever and plays 18 yrs to finally win a superbowl here.

The OP is really trying to bring up the topic of "upcoming contracts" and then mention two rookies in the list? Huh?

And the simple answer is you have to replace the cheap rookie contracts with draft picks who can play at a high level. You pay the few you don't think you can replace and "next man up" the rest.

Those rookie contracts (they were actually rookies last year) expire in 4 years. I was thinking about the landscape over the next five years and how this year's signing affects next year's signing, and so on.

For example, if we had Levitre and Byrd under contract (most people looked at those situations looking no more than a year ahead) we'd probably have no chance of keeping Hughes and some of the guys on that list.

Not sure what your problem is.

That would be a great problem to have. It would mean that all those players are performing.

To date most of them are and we're still not winning. It looks like we're going to lose some of those guys along the way. I'm not sure how we're going to have the cap space to re-sign even most of them, and hopefully we'll have to accommodate a significant QB contract in the next 4-5 years too. I'm just curious how we're going to go about dealing with it.

This is precisely why we need to somehow and someway find a franchise QB, it takes the sting out of losing players that will be lost to other teams because you can't sign them all. Also, a franchise QB raises the play of everyone around them...it would allow us to pick up some undrafted FA and plug them into major roles on the roster (at least offensively).

This is a good problem to have. All of these players mentioned being young, first contract players is a tribute to our scouting and draft departments. It only becomes a problem when those departments stop delivering. If We retain our key players and some role players along with continuing with our good drafts, i don't see a problem here.

Doesn't this actually speak to the fact that the Bills whilst not being perfect have improved their drafting signifcantly since Buddy Nix became General Manager? Forget the Spiller draft in 2010 - Buddy did not set the board for that he was having to work off what the old regime had done - since 2011 we have drafted:

2011:

Marcel Dareus

Aaron Williams (already re-signed)

Da'Norris Searcy (UFA this year)

2012:

Stephon Gilmore

Cordy Glenn

Nigel Bradham

2013:

Kiko Alonso

Robert Woods

Duke Williams

2014:

Sammy Watkins

Preston Brown

Seantral Henderson

And that is just the guys who were starters or played significant roles in a 9-7 season in 2014. Added to that are the likes of Brooks, Goodwin and EJ who are on the roster and Kouandjo, Richardson and Cockrell from 2013 who we still don't know what we have in. It is not perfect but it shows a marked improvement. Balancing the cap for all those guys will be tough - but these are the nice problems you want in the modern NFL.

Cordy Glenn

Marcel Dareus

Stephon Gilmore

Kiko Alonso

Robert Woods

Preston Brown

Sammy Watkins

Good post but sadly, some of the above names will more than likely suffer serious injury. That's just how it goes.

I also think that it is VERY important to re-sign players such as Robey and Searcy. These guys don't get headlines but they are key contributors AND, they already are familiar with the system having played for Pettine.

And btw, it would be very dumb to have to use up precious resources to replace players such as those who really are doing their jobs quite well.

Edited by Bill from NYC

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not optimistic about Hughes re-signing because it seems like it is going to cost too much. This will open up money at other positions. Dareus is obviously the number one priority but after him I think the front office would be smart to start negotiating with Bradham before next season.

Bradham has excelled since getting his opportunity to play. He hits like a truck and can stay with tight ends in coverage because he has good speed. He also has a bit of a mean streak in him, which I like. I feel the same way about him as I did Aaron Williams last year in that I believe he's a guy that is about to break out as one of the best at his position in the league. Lock him up now at a team friendly cost before his price gets too high.

Edit: I think that signing Glenn and Gilmore are important too I just feel that they have already hit a point where they will require bigger deals. Bradham they might be able to get for a few extra years at a discount if they act fast.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall