New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure this whole thing will result in a suspension and fine for Jerry Hughes.

LOL.

The ultimate would be if....NOTHING happens. You know...everyone waits for judgment to be handed down. For Goodell to come out with his own PC or statement or something...

And just nothing ever happens. That would be classic.

Reporter: "Did Tom Brady Cheat?

Brady: (laughs) "I don't believe so."

Holy qualification, Batman.

I don't believe it would be a priority for him. I think he would be busy looking for loopholes elsewhere.

:lol: That's the most disingenuous answer I've heard today, and that includes everything said in both press conferences! :lol You're rich, you know that? So you'd like us to believe that a coach, who you admit "would be busy looking for loopholes" would look everywhere BUT for loopholes regarding the ball? You realize that it's the ball, like FOOTball, right? And the point of the entire game is to put that ball in the endzone more than your opponent.

But you're right. A sociopathic coach with an obsession to win wouldn't care about any rules having to do with the ball.

From reading this thread, though, one gets the sense that people believe that Belichick is a malevolent genius who pulls the strings of the league. He's a jerk, but he's no genius. He's a freaking football coach who has a history of both bending rules and exploiting technicalities.

Yeah, a genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.

Bill and Tom know absolutely nothing about this. What an enigma.

Does anyone have a Magic 8 Ball handy?

If so, please ask it if the Patriots cheated, and report back with the findings. I'm dying to know.

Linky

When I asked, it said: "It is decidedly so."

Linky

When I asked, it said: "It is decidedly so."

Hey thanks man.

I just did it and got the same answer.

Did it like 3 more times and finally got "As I see it, yes."

Case closed.

John Clayton: Impossible to gauge what the punishment is going to be.

Interesting idea, just came to me watching ESPN...

Inflate the ball with hot air. 120 degrees or so. Inflate to 12 psi. Officials measure, find the right pressure. Three hours later, during the game, outdoors at 40-50 degrees, balls would be down about 2 psi.

Not sure how you'd preheat the air before inflating the ball. I'm also not sure that you couldn't tell by the ball's warmth. And I'm not even saying the Patriots did this. But if I were going to cheat, in a way that was difficult to prove, and maintain any plausible deniability ("No, we didn't tamper with the balls. No, we didn't deflate them. They were properly inflated when the officials checked them, and we left them that way,") that'd be one way of doing it.

I'll add it to my list of experiments.

I think this is pretty off. My gut feeling? Brady has been doing this for years, and no one ever checks. Is he breaking the rules with those balls? Yes, but I'm guessing that's the only sort of ball he knows at this point. Given how large organizations treat "small stuff" that never raise controversy (i.e., PSI level), I think it's highly likely that the refs or whoever it is who is supposed to check these things never, ever do it. I actually believe him when he says that he doesn't think about it. He's been doing it forever, and no one ever complained before.

Then there is less harm to say that then continue with a Sargent Schulz charade.

Interesting idea, just came to me watching ESPN...

Inflate the ball with hot air. 120 degrees or so. Inflate to 12 psi. Officials measure, find the right pressure. Three hours later, during the game, outdoors at 40-50 degrees, balls would be down about 2 psi.

Not sure how you'd preheat the air before inflating the ball. I'm also not sure that you couldn't tell by the ball's warmth. And I'm not even saying the Patriots did this. But if I were going to cheat, in a way that was difficult to prove, and maintain any plausible deniability ("No, we didn't tamper with the balls. No, we didn't deflate them. They were properly inflated when the officials checked them, and we left them that way,") that'd be one way of doing it.

I'll add it to my list of experiments.

ESPN staff is very familiar with warm balls.

Kinda like Bill Clinton saying he didn't inhale, or saying he didn't have sex with that woman.

Beats getting 4000 brave Soldiers killed because of lies.

They say Ted Williams was once given like 10 bats and one was 1/2 ounce out of synch with the others; Ted immediately identified it.

Even though I'm just a frozen head, I can still tell the difference.

Wow. 86 pages of crybabiness. Seriously...what are we talking about here? Some of you want absolutely outrageous penalities for underinflated footballs! The only thing the NFL should do it tightenup up their monitoring process. 99% of the players/ex-players that have commented on this couldn't care less. That should tell you something. Stop with the non-sense. Please.

Wow. 86 pages of crybabiness. Seriously...what are we talking about here? Some of you want absolutely outrageous penalities for underinflated footballs! The only thing the NFL should do it tightenup up their monitoring process. 99% of the players/ex-players that have commented on this couldn't care less. That should tell you something. Stop with the non-sense. Please.

hi Mr. Kraft. Check cleared yet?