Who are the 4 starting LBs?

Beerball

The Bills, according to Whaley, and after the signing of Rex, are trying to re-sign Hughes, obviously with Rex's wishes. If they do, he's going to cost 12m a year and he's going to play full time DE. Which means a 4-3 base, which Rex has played before. He's known as the smartest defensive mind in the league, not the dumbest. Dareus and Kyle will play DT. Mario is the other end. Kiko will play WLB. Bradham SLB. And Brown/Spikes/Harris in the middle on run downs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Line 'em up. Who ya got?

Who knows if the Bills will even line up in traditional 3-4 but if that is the plan I fully expect them to resign Spikes and go with Bradham, Spikes, Brown, Kiko

I don't see them lining up in a traditional 3-4 though as it would take away from the strength of the defense which is obviously the D line

Edited by Max997

The Bills, according to Whaley, and after the signing of Rex, are trying to re-sign Hughes, obviously with Rex's wishes. If they do, he's going to cost 12m a year and he's going to play full time DE. Which means a 4-3 base, which Rex has played before. He's known as the smartest defensive mind in the league, not the dumbest. Dareus and Kyle will play DT. Mario is the other end. Kiko will play WLB. Bradham SLB. And Brown/Spikes/Harris in the middle on run downs.

If we resign both Hughes and Spikes, and get Kiko back, it will be a blast to see what Rex cooks up with all these defensive weapons.

If Hughes is going to cost $12m a year then I'd rather see us let him walk. He's a good player but I'd rather see that kind of money be used towards Dareus.

Edited by Bangarang

Do people even understand what they are typing when they talk about us switching to a 3-4 now that we hired Rex?

Did people not watch this defense 2 years ago under Pettine?

Exactly. The other funny statement people make is that Hughes doesn't fit the scheme either. It's like there's a collective amnesia.

Any two LB sets should be Kiko and Brown. They are the only two with the ability to play run and pass.

Any three LB sets should include the former plus Bradham.

The fourth LB will most likely be Hughes or Lawson. If we lose Hughes, Justin Houston perhaps.

I know it's been over a year, but doesn't anyone remember how poor Kiko was against the run, which is why he was immediately moved from the middle. I'm curious to see if he can play outside well enough.

Edited by klos63

Exactly. The other funny statement people make is that Hughes doesn't fit the scheme either. It's like there's a collective amnesia.

It depends on what people are talking about when you mention 3-4. Half seem to think that means a NT over the center. Half seem to not think about the fact we never really played 3-4 two years ago. Hughes played the same position last year as two years ago, with very little change at all. Schwartz said it several times. And that's because we never really played a 3-4.

If Hughes is going to cost $12m a year then I'd rather see us let him walk. He's a good player but I'd rather see that kind of money be used towards Dareus.

Why don't you think they'll have enough money for Dareus? They are currently $23MM under the cap, add in the $19MM in rollover and the Bills have the 4th most money to spend in FA. They can sign a lot of players. Also, the salary cap just keeps going up. It's a possibility it'll be around $160MM by 2017.

The Bills also don't have a franchise QB that would cost $13MM-$20MM so might as well spend the money keeping the defense together until they do find one.

You make it sound like if they sign Hughes they won't resign Dareus which I don't think is remotely accurate

Dareus is the most important player on the defense and maybe even the team so he isn't going anywhere and will be franchised if they don't agree to an extension.

I wasn't suggesting that at all. You're right. I was simply stating what we did in 2013. We virtually never ran a conventional 3-4 and it was always more of a 4-3, and there is no way I see Rex changing that. He all but said as much, although he is going to mix it up a lot.

Yeah that was pretty much the case. Mario Williams, Manny Lawson and Jerry Hughes split almost 100% of the snaps at two edge positions in 2013. Whether they were considered DE or OLB doesn't really matter. They weren't intended to be off the LOS. By virtue of Pettine mixing it up they occasionally did end up in coverage but not often. The difference now is that they now have multiple Run/Cover type LB's to play off of the LOS where at times Alonso was a one man show inside on that Pettine D.

Why don't you think they'll have enough money for Dareus? They are currently $23MM under the cap, add in the $19MM in rollover and the Bills have the 4th most money to spend in FA. They can sign a lot of players. Also, the salary cap just keeps going up. It's a possibility it'll be around $160MM by 2017.

The Bills also don't have a franchise QB that would cost $13MM-$20MM so might as well spend the money keeping the defense together until they do find one.

It had more to do with me not believing he is worth that much than it is about the cap.

Hughes is a good player for us but I don't think he's $12mil a year good.

Adding to NoSaint, he's right.

Lawson will play the hybrid OLB/DE type with this hand off the ground and similar to his 2013 role. He was very successful there. Brown will be in the middle and play Mike if Spikes is not here. Alonso may shift to Jack in some roles with Lawson taking the WLB spot and Bradham playing SLB. That'd give us 4 LB's. Dareus did very well on the outside playing the outside DT in a 5 spot.

Jerry Hughes, Kiko Alonso, Preston Brown, and Mario Williams will be starting LBs.

Kyle Williams, Dareus, and Stefan Charles will be starting DL.

Lol wow. You read my mind. Except I subbed Hughes for Bradham. That d line is sweet. I think I would have to play dareus outside and hope ol tree trunk legs Charles can be a NT. Leave Dareus in the 3 technique.

The problem with putting Bradham and Alonso on the edges is that neither can rush the passer. The RE in 43 under needs to be a speed rush type of player, like Chris Clemons was in SEA the last few years.

43 under personnel is typically

1 NT (Dareus)

2 300+ DL (Kyle Williams, Stefan Charles or Mario)

1 speed rusher type DE(Hughes)

1 34 OLB type (right now this could be Hughes or Mario, but none of our other LBs fit this profile because they can't rush the QB. Think Bruce Irvin in SEA as the ideal here)

1 Run stopping MLB (Brown or Spikes)

1 athletic coverage LB (Alonso or Bradham)

I would think they put Hughes and Mario on the edges. 3 man line inside with Kyle Williams, Dareus, and Charles(remember how important Alan Branch was in this role last year). And Alonso and Brown as your other two LBs.

Why think about Bruce Irvin when T Suggs in his day was penultimate. Or Von Miller... why not re-energize Brian Orakpos career Edited by Agent 91

I wasn't suggesting that at all. You're right. I was simply stating what we did in 2013. We virtually never ran a conventional 3-4 and it was always more of a 4-3, and there is no way I see Rex changing that. He all but said as much, although he is going to mix it up a lot.

I agree. It will be fun to watch Rex put the best seven front on the field and creat some havoc. How much fun would it be to add Revis to the back field?

kiko, harris, bradham, brown

mario, dareus, kyle

gone:spikes, lawson, rivers & hughes.

Soo... all the depth at backer is going to be gone?

Why do I feel like I just got kicked in the balls?

Because you read a JTSP post. It's a common side-effect.

And Rex confirmed on Fox he wants Hughes back. This will be a four man front for most plays.

I'm reading "Collision Low Crossers" - the book written by a journalist who was imbedded in Jets organization for a full year with keys to the building and an office in the personnel department. He writes,

"There are six basic fronts in football. Teams usually play one, typically either the 4-3 with four down lineman and three linebackers, or the 3-4. Rex featured all six fronts, each packaged with dozens of variations." (p.16)

I imagine seeing a lot of scheme variations and personnel groupings next year. Didn't Rex once face Brady with 0 linebackers - only down linemen and DBs???

a) What do you think happens to Brown in this scenario?

b) What does "hell" have to do with Death in the context of the Four Horsemen?

don't know about about brown.

Hell follows the Pale horse.

Revelation 6 :

[7] And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

[8] And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.