Aaron Kromer : O Line coach

Reed83HOF

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell with that, let's HIRE him! Good OL coaches are like franchise QB's, you can't let fireable offenses of team trust get in the way of hiring someone who understands the great mysteries of offensive line play. :rolleyes:

Rather than arguing that there aren't concerns with the hire.....if you want to take the glass half full outlook......he's not Pat Morris. :thumbsup:

I'm not arguing whether he's a good o-line coach or a great o-line coach or even a ****ty o-line coach. His comments about Cutler were what FC is focusing on and I don't think that will be an issue, call that glass half full if you like. In a perfect world the team would be have great coaches who had never made a public misstep. Kromer screwed up, some would argue by admitting what he said anonymously, now he's moved past it. Is it a hurdle? Yup. Can it be overcome? Yup.

The Bears apparently thought he needed to be fired before any coaching candidate would have an opportunity to consider retaining him. Considering the coaches they retained and his track record compared to theirs......his indiscretion appeared to matter to the Bears.

& it doesn't to Ryan. It could get messy, but, it doesn't have to. I can guarantee that he won't make this same mistake twice. Rex just hired himself the most loyal o-line coach he could find.

The hire seems to prove a couple things .

Chicago has looked at our situation as well as many teams w no talent at qb and prefer the Jeff George to the many slow eyed ejs and noodle armed fa.

Our loss .. .. I would take cutler for a year if he respected the coaches ..and was accountable .. Big if

Our gain ..we get a good coach with risk

Second, kromer was probably a talented teacher and X's and O's guy or he would be blackballed like marrone considering even pizza boy Peyton came to cutlers defense .

And third, someone believes that coaching can bring the best out our slow draft picks or they wouldn't have hired him .. Maybe they think he can coach up the middling fa they can only afford if that plan fails or they need cash to sign Bradford and Hughes and extend Dareus making them unable to afford a guy like Iupati.. Time will tell .

Hope they did their due diligence on that very public situation more than they did with dougie considering the remarks that Syracuse assistant which helped tarpoon the maroon whale .

I'm sure they did

That said assembling a talented and experienced staff seems like an upgrade over the offensive staff we had . Lots of future story lines for guys like rapawhore. Hope big rex keeps em all together .

A few thoughts:

Because this involves coach killer and miserable teammate Cutler, people will put this in perspective. Brandon Marshall did.

It also does not hurt that what he said did not exactly involve a state secret.

It is very impressive that the guy owned up to what he said. In a world and sport where "leaks" happen every single day, this is unusual.

This sounds like an informed opinion. Possiblty out of place here.... I hope you're spot on.

Correct. This is a 'small-minded, piling on, coach-bashing thread'. There's no room here for qualitative insight. The poster needs to get with the program. We're dooooooomed!

So, you can never trust someone who admitted to a particular mistake? Sorry about that.

We can never trust you again BB. NEVER! :nana:

People are upset with him calling out Jay Cutler? The most overrated player in the league? The qb who shoves his olinemen in the back?

If it was any other player besides Cutler, I'd care. But cutler is one of the worst teammates ever. He spoke the truth.

And the truth shall set you free, and evidently has him.

Again totally agree. But if trust was a number, Kromer is starting at 40, while everyone else is at 50.

EXCELLENT! He's actually over qualified. Rex is setting up his band to go to 11.

He was an ELITE line coach in New Orleans. After a frustrating loss he made a comment, but only a portion of the nastiness in the media was from him - he was the only one in chicago to own it, while others let their comments fall on him.... I'll say it wasn't ideal but he's very talented, and was very well regarded before the Chicago meltdown. He's made several ok prospects play well above expectations

The man said the the emperor wore no clothes. It's not like Jay Cutler's flaws were a big secret around the league, and apparently everyone in the organization thought the same.

We spent 3 draft picks on our O-line last year. Only one (the 7th rounder) saw extensive playing time, and was average at best. One of the knocks I heard this week is that Marrone was trying to use a zone blocking scheme, which typically requires quicker than usual linemen. Whaley was bringing in road graders. If we can tap into the talent we have, and bring in one or two new pieces we could have a dominant O-line.

As an aside, this makes me think that they are going with EJ next year. There is no way they go for Cutler after this, and he's their best chance at trading for a veteran. I think the idea is to build the O-line, set a ground game, get a TE other than Chandler, in short do everything but bring in a new QB...and then see where we stand in 2016 with a first round draft pick.

I like this hire a lot after doing a little research on him.

Bills have a couple of projects that Whaley drafted last year in CK and CR. I would like to see if Kromer can help develop these guys while getting more out of the other starters like Glenn, Wood, and Henderson.

I have to hope that Kromer/Roamn is not a 'i will play guys i like' coach like Marrone was. There is very little to explain why Marrone sat Urbik and played Pears or Williams.

As anyone knows in managing people you do not always like someone you work with, but if they do the best job you learn how to motivate and get production from them. Marrone strikes me as the guy that if he didn't like you personally for some reason he wouldn't play you.

The talent is here for the line. I really believe that. Oline is all about trust and assignments. You have to work together as a unit and trust that you know your assignment on each play and the guy next to you knows his. Coaching is a huge part at getting each player to feel comfortable on their assignments. When a player is not comfortable with his assignment is when you begin to see the fundamentals break down. As guys become less comfortable the trust less.

i really hope Kromer can rebuild this unit with the help of Roman.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I don't get the concern over an O-line coach. The current O-line has problems that are not related to coaching, but physical ability. They are big, clumsy, and lack power at the point of attack. It would be silly to think coaching alone will change this reality.

Kujo and Richardson both were considered to have a lot of talent. Again, different scheme, different approach.

As a note, It should be noted that both Glenn and Wood regressed this year, and they were studs under...god help me, Chan Gailey of all people.

I have to hope that Kromer is not a 'i will play guys i like' coach like Marrone was. There is very little to explain why Marrone sat Urbik and played Pears or Williams.

Also, where he dismissed two very competent (though admittedly not elite) receivers because he had personal problems with them. I think we dodged a bullet when Marrone left.

Why hire a coach who went public with throwing a player under the bus? If I were a player, I'd question his credibility on that basis alone. Not a fan of this hire.

GO BILLS!!!

if you could find one player hell one person who doesn't think Cutler is a D-bag you would have a point

secondly Trestman is the OC/HC...much like Modkins to Gailey

Edited by CardinalScotts

Kujo and Richardson both were considered to have a lot of talent. Again, different scheme, different approach.

As a note, It should be noted that both Glenn and Wood regressed this year, and they were studs under...god help me, Chan Gailey of all people.

Also, where he dismissed two very competent (though admittedly not elite) receivers because he had personal problems with them. I think we dodged a bullet when Marrone left.

Correct. I was focusing on line but there are examples all over the Offense where Marrone played 'favorites'.