Bring Back the Red Helmets!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'd heard ahead of time they were going blue on blue, I would have thought it would look awful. I was surprised. To me, it actually looked pretty good.

I suspect the red helmets have greater nostalgic and sentimental value to kids who came of age during the 80s and 90s, and I can see why they might prefer them. For guys like me who first got hooked towards the end of the AFL era and into the O.J. era, the white ones, standing or charging bison, are the ones for me.

I'm 54 so understand your thoughts but age is not the reason for OP. I liked them.

I prefer the white helmets, but considering the reason to switch to red back in the day was to help our QB (Fergie) not throw to the wrong guys, I wonder if we should consider having our offensive players wear red helmets to stand out, and have the defensive players wear white, to blend in.

at the time... Baltimore, Miami and Jets had similar white helmets with logo on the side

The Patriots did too. The whole division had white helmets. I liked the red helmets, but the current uniforms look so great. Never liked the grazing buffalo, it needs the stripe and charging.

Blue helmets would be interesting...

I eventually got used to the red helmets but the current white ones are a cleaner look.

Just don't bring in any quarterbacks that confuse them with other white-based helmets. B-)

That's why we went to red. The entire AFC East had white helmets, and Fergy was throwing too many INTs.

I have a Jim Kelly signed HOF helmet, and I am partial to the red.

They originally made the switch to those red helmets because Joe Ferguson used to throw so many interceptions people said he had tunnel vision. Then, it was said he needed to be able to distinguish between his players and the other teams players so the gave him red helmets to aim at.

This.

Red helmets started before Kelly. Current uniforms are the best since the '74-'82.

Then this.

/thread

%in

NO! The red helmet looks good on my shelf, but that's it. The current helmet, with the tapered stripe, is my favorite Bills' helmet. Since the NFL won't allow them to change helmets during the season, they should start changing the colors on the decal. They could easily use a different color standing buffalo or flip the colors on the charging buffalo. Guys on eBay sell all different color schemes that would be cool as hell..... on the white helmet!

Love the idea of the red helmets as part of the throwback unis. I think I'm the only person on the planet that hates the standing buffalo. I'd almost like to see them go all under armor with it and do a special occasion red out. The old red helmets and an all red uni with blue and white trim. Call it code red, maybe match it to the color of Brady's blood that the Bills will draw first match against the Pats next year.

Love the idea of the red helmets as part of the throwback unis. I think I'm the only person on the planet that hates the standing buffalo. I'd almost like to see them go all under armor with it and do a special occasion red out. The old red helmets and an all red uni with blue and white trim. Call it code red, maybe match it to the color of Brady's blood that the Bills will draw first match against the Pats next year.

I do like this idea

Don't F with the uni's. They look great as is.

(That being said... no more blue on blue combo.)

/thread.

But I'll breach my own "/thread" by saying that I would love to have the 90s unis as a throwback. I believe we'd need to shrink wrap the white helmets in red, however.

Edited by NickelCity