OSU's Cardale Jones considering NFL jump

Punch

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an odd situation where the winning qb, who could be drafted im the first three rounds, may not be starting for his college team next year.

So on one hand although he needs time to develop... Still quite raw IMO... The best place for him to do that may be the NFL

He'll start.

I think that coming out is definitely in Cardale's best interest. He has all of the physical tools and will be off of the board by the end of the 2nd. There isn't a lot of tape on him to be picked apart like Matt Barkley for example. He should come out and just workout at his pro day. What he has out there now is the tape of a pro QB. He's kinda Ben and kinda Culpepper. Let some team draft him on his potential.

I agree...

QB's elevate based on potential and not much else is needed...This kid will go into controlled workouts and dazzle scouts...They'll be plenty of buzz at his workouts...You can all but bank on it...

I'm not saying whatsoever that he'll make it...If the lazy comes back (Urban's words not mine) he could crash and burn like JaMarcus...But he's not going to look lazy before the Draft...Almost none of them do...He's going to look like some kind of a QB God because he's huge, he can run, and he's got a hell of a good arm...I would not be at all surprised if he went in the 1st round by the time it's all said and done...He's got limitless upside... B-)

Does anyone really think he can read a defense because I don't, he didn't have to make any reads in any of the 3 games and that will determine his draft status which would totally make the combine irrelevant what would matter is when teams have him in for a visit and put film in front of him and say make a read. Only teams that should take him no sooner than the 3rd Rd are teams with a franchise QB so he could possibly tear it up in preseason for two years then some team would trade a 1st for him even though he is still an unknown.

Does anyone really think he can read a defense because I don't, he didn't have to make any reads in any of the 3 games and that will determine his draft status which would totally make the combine irrelevant what would matter is when teams have him in for a visit and put film in front of him and say make a read. Only teams that should take him no sooner than the 3rd Rd are teams with a franchise QB so he could possibly tear it up in preseason for two years then some team would trade a 1st for him even though he is still an unknown.

How do you know he didn't have to make any reads during any of the games?

C'mon man I know my QBs no ones perfect but I have found my fair share of QBs, Luck, Kaepernick, Tannehill and Bortles who the last 3 know one knew about. This board actually helps me get better at it bc getting flamed for a bust sux.

Obviously he has the physical tools but 3 games? lets get serious.

Like I said spread QBs aren't making it in the NFL not because of talent but because they can't read defenses.

The number 1 overall "once in a generation" guy counts as a hit for everyone. Besides 4merper4mer everyone knew this guy would be a stud.

The #36, #8, and #3 overall picks nobody knew about?!? what?

I'm just giving you a hard time here but let's be honest. You are forever Skelton for Mario guy. We still love ya, it's safe here, you can admit you just throw stojan at the wall.

I don't even know why I remember this but Casey Pachall was your big guy once upon a time. Did he even get drafted?

I appreciate that you stick your neck out and stake an opinion but yeah I got nothing :nana:

Only in pro football does a player have to have collegiate experience. Just remember that when you're talking about his "experience." Because if it wasn't for that requirement guys like Newton wouldn't have ever stepped foot on campus. Also, to the "he can't read defenses" comment, who's to say he can't learn? In fact I would rather have a guy come in that has less college experience because if he's in one of those gimmicky offenses the less reps he has learning bad habits the better.

How do you know he didn't have to make any reads during any of the games?

Ridiculous to state he didn't make any reads. The oline played so well he didn't need to make any quick hot reads, but saying he didn't /can't read a defense is foolish at best.

I also agree he'll be the starter next year. If all 3 come back I expect Braxton will be used as an offensive weapon, Cardale as the starter and JT as the backup. JT really struggled against a few teams (Penn St, Indiana) last year and Cardale's arm opens up so much more of the field than the other 2, which is deadly with how good the line is and guys like Elliott, Marshall, Thomas and potentially Braxton.

Ridiculous to state he didn't make any reads. The oline played so well he didn't need to make any quick hot reads, but saying he didn't /can't read a defense is foolish at best.

I also agree he'll be the starter next year. If all 3 come back I expect Braxton will be used as an offensive weapon, Cardale as the starter and JT as the backup. JT really struggled against a few teams (Penn St, Indiana) last year and Cardale's arm opens up so much more of the field than the other 2, which is deadly with how good the line is and guys like Elliott, Marshall, Thomas and potentially Braxton.

yes - forgotten in this is that Braxton had shoulder surgery in Aug that takes 8-12 mos to recover from. No one knows how or when he will be ready to play. JT has a broken ankle and was on a scooter Monday. He is projected to be ready for Spring but he also still has 3 yrs of eligibility and not really a pro prospect. He is Urban's boy but he doesn't have that arm strength. A really good chance Cardale starts at OSU. Edited by YoloinOhio

yes - forgotten in this is that Braxton had shoulder surgery in Aug that takes 8-12 mos to recover from. No one knows how or when he will be ready to play. JT has a broken ankle and was on a scooter Monday. He is projected to be ready for Spring but he also still has 3 yrs of eligibility and not really a pro prospect. He is Urban's boy but he doesn't have that arm strength. A really good chance Cardale starts at OSU.

But if you're Jones, playing more can end up hurting your stock. Think about the situation he could find himself in if he were to declare. He wouldn't have the same pressure that he'll have coming out as a more polished prospect, and his question marks / project status will make him less attractive to QB desperate teams meaning he could find himself in New England or another spot where he'll have the chance to learn from a vet for a few seasons. I just think you can't top what he accomplished over this stretch, might as well get paid now and start learning how to be an NFL QB in the NFL rather than at OSU.

Of course, I'm also a Michigan fan... :devil:

But if you're Jones, playing more can end up hurting your stock. Think about the situation he could find himself in if he were to declare. He wouldn't have the same pressure that he'll have coming out as a more polished prospect, and his question marks / project status will make him less attractive to QB desperate teams meaning he could find himself in New England or another spot where he'll have the chance to learn from a vet for a few seasons. I just think you can't top what he accomplished over this stretch, might as well get paid now and start learning how to be an NFL QB in the NFL rather than at OSU.

Of course, I'm also a Michigan fan... :devil:

Just saw that Devin Gardner made the switch to WR for the east-west shrine game.

Cardale announcing his decision at 3pm today at his HS in Cleveland. First day of recruiting contact period and urban has been with him all day.

99.9% sure he is going to declare.

Well - thanks for the title Cardale and good luck!

He's 22, has a child, grew up with nothing, and isn't Urban's guy. It's JT's world and he knows it.

@AlbertBreer: And from Cardale Jones himself ... RT @CJ12_ Life changing decision at 3pm 😁