True cost of Bills' Watkins trade

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll answer it for them: you're probably talking about a player with a draft grade equal to about the #45 pick from last year's draft...at least if my scouting contacts are to be trusted. I'd be curious if you've heard anything similar?

Nothing more than what's already out there; it's just not as deep a draft this year which isn't surprising given the kinds of grades we saw last year. Guys in the field are really busy right now but sometime after Senior Bowl week and before the combine I'll see if I can get an opinion or two.

GO BILLS!!!

Nothing more than what's already out there; it's just not as deep a draft this year which isn't surprising given the kinds of grades we saw last year. Guys in the field are really busy right now but sometime after Senior Bowl week and before the combine I'll see if I can get an opinion or two.

GO BILLS!!!

no matter, the pro-trade crowd has already written off the yet to be named pick as a bust

and didnt go anywhere with it. of course a new HC wants high draft picks to replenish talent and build a team

And he'll have them--just not in the first round this year.

no matter, the pro-trade crowd has already written off the yet to be named pick as a bust

Whilst the anti-trade crowd has already written off the 2014 pick as not as good as other options.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for that reminder. If fuzzy memory serves right, wasn't there a huge influx of underclassmen last year that basically watered down this year's crop? I recall that was another rationale for jumping on a top talent in 2014.

If the 2015 draft is like the 2009 or the 2000 draft, then it was a rational gamble.

No, the pro-trade crowd has already written of the yet to be named pick as totally irrelevant to the decision to trade up for Sammy Watkins.

Thanks for that reminder. If fuzzy memory serves right, wasn't there a huge influx of underclassmen last year that basically watered down this year's crop? I recall that was another rationale for jumping on a top talent in 2014.

If the 2015 draft is like the 2009 or the 2000 draft, then it was a rational gamble.

Your memory serves you well. I think it was a record number of underclassmen. Hell, the first four picks were underclassmen. I think half the first rounders were underclassmen as well. I don't recall a similar draft.

GO BILLS!!!

and didnt go anywhere with it. of course a new HC wants high draft picks to replenish talent and build a team

The picks name is Kiko Alonzo

Look....nobody is gonna change your mind so why do you keep starting these damn threads? Do you think your gonna change other peoples minds? The level headed people are going to continue to laugh at you.

The draft is a complete crapshoot.......

if we didnt take Watkins we were gonna take Ebron.......

There was no way of knowing there would be other WR's that would also do well their rookie years........

Our offense was a complete joke....and not set up to get Sammy the ball the amount of times he actually needed it.......

The GM saw a opportunity to get a blue chip bonafied number one wide receiver and he took it.......if he had stayed put and taken Ebron you would have your first round pick this year (in a position where they would be nowhere near a blue chip QB) I imagine you would be happier with that

You cannot grade out draft picks for at least 3 years......

are these 2 paragraphs quotes from the article or are they your additions? you are a colleague of Adam Schefter?

When news came from colleague Adam Schefter that former Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone did not approve of the team's decision to trade up in the 2014 NFL draft to select Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins, giving away their 2015 first-round pick in the process, it provided a natural opportunity to assess the merits of the trade.

In many cases -- regardless of whether the transaction is a trade, free-agent signing or draft selection -- there's a tendency to forge a knee-jerk reaction that can prove to be inaccurate in the long term. But while Watkins' career is far from over, based on a multitude of factors involved, it's hard to disagree with the sentiment suggested by Marrone: The decision to trade up for him was not the right move.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12127113&src=desktop

Glad we got him. He is a game changer. If we did not get him everyone would be asking when the hell is the team going to get a big time receiver.

haha - this is so true. Just like Cleveland fans are crying that their team keeps passing up elite talent for more picks. Edited by YoloinOhio

What about the notion that a move like that somehow sent shock waves of confidence to the players---like Holy crap, they really believe we're ready right now?! Let's go! Or something like that.

What if we did nothing and drafted Ebron---what if he was the alternative . That or Lewan. You think the overall mentality doesn't turn into---"still a rebuilding year."

And last I checked....Sammy is legit. He's a true number 1 WR and should barring injury be elite for some time. If we traded up and get Aaron Maybin...it's a disaster. I'll take my franchise WR and the Browns can go ahead and waste the 19th pick.

Edited by Big Blitz

We've heard from the pro and anti trade crowds, but what of the ambivalent crowd? The people who say, well, we did get a really good player, of course, that pick would come in handy to trade up or trade for a QB. If we're willing to be objective, whether we're pro or con, we should at least be able to admit that it wasn't an awful trade and it wasn't anything special either.

Edited by Rob's House

We've heard from the pro and anti trade crowds, but what of the ambivalent crowd? The people who say, well, we did get a really good player, of course, that pick would come in handy to trade up or trade for a QB. If we're willing to be objective, whether we're pro or con, we should at least be able to admit that it wasn't an awful trade and it wasn't anything special either.

I can see this.

Personally, I'm just happy the trade worked out in terms of draft status. If we ended up giving the Browns #8 or #9, that would suck way worse.

IMO, The 2014 wide receiver class will go down in history as the best class ever. It will be compared to the QB class of 83 that produced three Hall of fame QBs. The amount of NFL records this class is going to break should be impressive. Before this season, only 12 rookie receivers had more than 1000 yards and only 24 players had more than 900 yards. This class produced 3 receivers that had 1000 yards, and Watkins with 982 yards. It was widely accepted that Watkins was the best, of the best receiver class ever. I have no problem with the trade to get Watkins. The success of other receivers in the class does not change my opinion, it only strengthens it. Whaley went after the best receiver of possibly the best class ever, I could never fault him for that.