Fred Jackson discusses Marrone vs. Hackett

5 Wide

Then exactly who are you defending in not changing up the offense at all when they put in a 10-year vet behind the center and sat two quality WRs on the bench?

What two quality WRs were on the bench?

Was wondering who the ONE was.

It appears Marrone wanted to simplify things, is that the consensus?

Freaking good! I mean all these beat reporters saying how awful things were in the summer....we saw the games.

Oh yea....it probably went like this:

DM: "hey Nate....Duh ummm....ummm....little more fun and gun here....let's try that. Obviously. "

NH: "We can't block. And EJ has 'slow eyes.' I think we gotta scale it back. "

DM *only watching oline*: "What does Madden 15 recommend?"

Whatever.

Edited by Big Blitz

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to Fred Jackson this morning, it seems that he just answered a question so many of us were wondering throughout the year, was the mundane, predictable playcalling more the fault of Hackett, or Marrone?

WGR 550 @WGR550 4m4 minutes ago

Jackson: Nate Hackett has always been an aggressive guy...he couldn't always do what he wanted to. Some of the stuff he wanted to call didn't get called in the game"

This doesn't completely clear Hackett, but it shows who was really pulling the strings on offense.

Freddy is the ultimate team guy, but where his heart is in the right place, Hackett is out. Wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if Hackett follows Marrone, or Marrone "convinces" Orton to come out of retirement for the 3rd time in as many years. Birds of a feather...

Pittsburgh was down to its 3rd string RB, because Tomlin wanted to teach his back up a lesson. How did that work out? Sound familiar with a coach insisting on teaching a lesson to a player, at a team's expense. Tomlin is lucky that Big Ben is as durable as he is, otherwise, he'd be toast too.

Cardinals were down to their 3rd string QB and still qualified for playoffs in the toughest division in the league. How would Marrone & Co. do with Tuel at the helm?

One of these is not like the other.

The whole point of inserting Orton in there was to get an NFL caliber QB on the field. So why continue to run a high school offense?

Unless your ultimate goal is to show off the GM and win a power struggle at the end of the season, especially knowing that he had an out clause that would keep him whole financially through 2015.

You are right, he knew exactly what he was doing. Which was to submarine the 2014 season.

That would be the one guy with more catches and TDs than the rest of the WRs combined and the other one who's the fastest on teh team, and at least demands deep attention.

If he has more catches then he wasnt on the bench... And the fastest guy has been injured and sick all year. Edited by Beef Jerky

According to Fred they all loved playing for Hackett -- absolutely sounds as though he (NH) was hamstrung by Marrone's conservatism.

Fred made the statement that NH is "a guy that likes to go big or go home...I don't know if that was always his call (what did get called)."

Pretty damning. I don't know why we wouldn't trust Fred on this.

Because assuming Fred likes Hackett on a personal level (or even if he's just OK with him), he (Fred) is doing the right thing and being a good team player. He's saying good things about a guy who is about to be unemployed and looking for a job. If he were to say anything at all negative about Hackett it would not be classy/cool at all, from an NFL perspective (or just about any perspective). So I'd take it with a little grain of salt, if you look at what Fred has been saying he is being very much a team player and that's what you'd expect from a team captain.

and it was after it hit the media as well, reportedly

*After* it became public knowledge...Wow, just when you think it couldn't be any worse...Old faithful, loyal, etc. we won't confuse w/you St. Doug...last I heard the Captain is the last to bail, but, oh, well, you're a lofty saint, right?

Edited by Lombardi1

What you said I could believe, too. I have no idea why you said "I don't believe that at all." Nothing I said contradicts what you said one bit. I think Hackett COULD be good, i don't know that at all because I believe he was running Marrone's offense and was told what to do.

Sorry, meant to highlight the part you mentioned about not having anything to do with coaching ability. Fred seemed to imply that Hackett was much more aggressive with play calling than Marrone, which leads me to believe that Marrone was overriding Hackett. Fred seems to like Hackett and I don't think he would say that if it was just about his personality. In other words, I think Fred is specifically talking about his performance as a coach and not just his personality.

Sorry, meant to highlight the part you mentioned about not having anything to do with coaching ability. Fred seemed to imply that Hackett was much more aggressive with play calling than Marrone, which leads me to believe that Marrone was overriding Hackett. Fred seems to like Hackett and I don't think he would say that if it was just about his personality. In other words, I think Fred is specifically talking about his performance as a coach and not just his personality.

Maybe. But the quote is I think "love playing for him." Players used to say that all the time about Jauron because he treated them with respect and like men.

Because assuming Fred likes Hackett on a personal level (or even if he's just OK with him), he (Fred) is doing the right thing and being a good team player. He's saying good things about a guy who is about to be unemployed and looking for a job. If he were to say anything at all negative about Hackett it would not be classy/cool at all, from an NFL perspective (or just about any perspective). So I'd take it with a little grain of salt, if you look at what Fred has been saying he is being very much a team player and that's what you'd expect from a team captain.

I disagree. Fred did not have to say anything positive or negative about Hackett; in fact, the political thing to do would have been to say nothing. Hackett has a storied NFL pedigree and won't have a problem finding "a job" -- if not as an OC, then certainly as an offensive assistant somewhere. If anything, it appeared to me as though Fred was sort of lobbying to give Hackett a chance without a Marrone hanging around his neck.

I am not sure what you mean by "holding back." Marrone got him a job as an OC in the NFL and he was paid handsomely for it. Coordinators disagree with HCs all the time - just as employees do with employers. It is easy (from the outside looking in) to say he should have been more of a man etc.

The remarks about being more of a man are completely out of line. Hackett can design a play or even call a play as OC. The HC can simply override the decision and there is not a damn thing anyone can do about it because that is what the HC's job is. His say is final.

Maybe. But the quote is I think "love playing for him." Players used to say that all the time about Jauron because he treated them with respect and like men.

There was much more to the quote, though. I saw more here:

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/01/fred_jackson_says_doug_marrone_text_felt_like_getting_punched_in_the_stomach.html

About half way down the page.

Has anyone considered that the reason the Bills have not gone to the hurry-up offense much since the very beginning of 2013 may be because there would have been no way for Marrone to override Hackett's playcalling?

Just sayin'...

I disagree. Fred did not have to say anything positive or negative about Hackett; in fact, the political thing to do would have been to say nothing. Hackett has a storied NFL pedigree and won't have a problem finding "a job" -- if not as an OC, then certainly as an offensive assistant somewhere. If anything, it appeared to me as though Fred was sort of lobbying to give Hackett a chance without a Marrone hanging around his neck.

I think if Marrone doesn't find a HC job this year and Buffalo doesn't retain Hackett, he's likely going to have a hard time finding a job. Marrone could be responsible for dragging him down with him. But yes, his name may get him another chance....somewhere. Just kinda irks me because I think he has been doing a decent job and will likely only get better.

If he has more catches then he wasnt on the bench... And the fastest guy has been injured and sick all year.

Like you can't figure out career catch & TD totals?

Go troll the Jets board.

Now that is just wrong. I can understand mass texting everyone something like "Hey, guys. I just resigned. Sorry for the text, but I wanted you to find out from me before it hit the media. Call me with any questions."

But having someone else do it on your behalf is just cowardly.

I wonder if he changed his number right after the request?