Lacanfora: extension was in place for Marrone (update:8 figures)??

YoloinOhio

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And again it doesn't make any sense.

Marrone had extension in place but then backs out because of the "football czar" being brought in which we all know was going to be Polian, who Marrone has no problem with. So what was he so scared about?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

It would seem odd that a contract with a 3-day out window would preclude the person from seeking a job or offer during those three days. Simply, I can't see that clause stating "you have three days to opt out but during those three days, you can't consider or seek employment elsewhere." If I'm going to ask for that clause as a coach, I damn sure want to be sure I can guage the market for my services during these three days so as to better evaluate my marketplace and help make a decision to opt out or stay.

I believe that Marrone shares an agent (Jimmy Sexton) with Rex Ryan, so his agent "obviously" had an in/relationship with the Jets. This should be investigated. If proven right, we could kill two birds with one stone--get compensation from the Jets and be rid of Marrone. If that's not a "win/win", I don't know what is.

If it can be proved, that's the hard part. Just like Johnny Manzeil didn't get paid for autographs

Do agree penalties are usually harsh, could see them losing 1st round pick , but often very hard to prove.

The only thing that may make it easier to prove is likely the league has the rights to examine all emails, phone logs etc of all teams where as a private person, had to get access to those records

if Jets tampered and Bills file charges, they will lose their first rd draft pick

Irony or nah?

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

It would seem odd that a contract with a 3-day out window would preclude the person from seeking a job or offer during those three days. Simply, I can't see that clause stating "you have three days to opt out but during those three days, you can't consider or seek employment elsewhere." If I'm going to ask for that clause as a coach, I damn sure want to be sure I can guage the market for my services during these three days so as to better evaluate my marketplace and help make a decision to opt out or stay.

I don't know the exact circumstances of the opt out but he is still under contract with the Bills for the next year. That's tampering.

Yolo, I posted this in your Scathing thread yesterday---also by Mehta.

This one's good too: http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2062892

Says the fix was in for Marrone to Jets before he quit the Bills. Jets even did the bogus Rooney interview of their RB coach just before Bills announced Marrone quit. And ESPN was reporting Jets interest 3 minutes after Bills announcement and 6 minutes after the Marrone story broke on the internet.

I have no idea how "tampering" works in the NFL regarding coaches, so hopefully I will learn something here.

If a coach is coming to the end of his contract or going into an opt-out like Marrone was, is it a breach of NFL rules for another team to contact him or his agent stating potential interest before the option has been exercised? Or by extension, would it be a breach of NFL rules for a coaches agent to contact other teams to gauge interest prior to exercising the option?

I know that I have always had a new job lined up before quitting a current one. Seems like a restraint of trade issue if it were different in the NFL. But the NFL seems to go against "normal" laws in other ways so why not in this as well.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I have no idea how "tampering" works in the NFL regarding coaches, so hopefully I will learn something here.

If a coach is coming to the end of his contract or going into an opt-out like Marrone was, is it a breach of NFL rules for another team to contact him or his agent stating potential interest before the option has been exercised? Or by extension, would it be a breach of NFL rules for a coaches agent to contact other teams to gauge interest prior to exercising the option?

If he's under contract (Marrone was until he wasn't), they need permission to contact him, I would think.