Did Marrone/Whaley rift start with Sammy Watkins selection?

NoSaint

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If true, then it corroborates much of what we've debated for months now, but I'm not convinced Marrone's at fault.

If he handed Whaley a grocery list for ground beef and taco shells only to have him come back with red sauce and pasta, then IMO Whaley was wrong.

And if they agreed on taco night then marrone demanded pasta, and when given the taco shells he threw them in boiling water he's not "right" either

I always enjoy absurdity.

So you must love it when people argue that Manning is the only reason Beckham had a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better season than Watkins.

I would if I heard that argument. But I have yet to hear it -- even on here. I've heard plenty say that QB play is one reason why it's crazy to compare the two, but never the only reason.

Again, I understand you don't like context, but it is important to consider when formulating sweeping generalizations about players.

My comment was what Bill Polinan said of the pick. thirty seconds afterwords at the ESPN desk Berhman in shock asked Polian if he would pick EJ at 16. Polians comments shaking his head were " I think he is a project and a 2nd to 4th round pick". Maybe ESPN archives this video you can see it there. It is hard to forget if you saw it.

I would be thrilled if this was even true. If EJ's a project, then he should start to show flashes of being a decent QB this coming season. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

I would if I heard that argument. But I have yet to hear it -- even on here. I've heard plenty say that QB play is one reason why it's crazy to compare the two, but never the only reason.

Again, I understand you don't like context, but it is important to consider when formulating sweeping generalizations about players.

clap clap clap.

I love Sammy and am glad he plays for the Bills even though I am on record since the draft ( unlike Marrone) that the Bills paid above the market to trade up.

Having said that, I have a VERY hard time believing that Whaley and (by extension) Brandon would have completed the that trade if Marrone was so adamantly against the trade that he stormed out/walked out.

Edited by Peter

I love Sammy and am glad he plays for the Bills even though I am on record since the draft ( unlike Marrone) that the Bills paid above the market to trade up.

Having said that, I have a VERY hard time believing that Whaley and (by extension) Brandon would have completed the that trade if Maarone was so adamantly against the trade that he stormed out/walked out.

You're right, that's tough for me to buy as well. It doesn't make sense unless Marrone's camp is spinning.

Espn reporting just now on TV that the rift started on draft day. Schefter says he's received accounts ranging from walked out of to stormed out of the room when the trade happened

I think the stage is set for revisionist history on all sides at this point. Marrone may have stormed out of the room but if he did, was it because he didn't want Watkins, he didn't want the trade up, or he wanted the trade-up but after the fact thought they gave too much in the trade up?

Expect Marrone wanted Nassib not Manuel in 3...2....1...

How hard was it to see that Manning was better than Leaf after one year?

Dude...

Gotta say, I agree with Marrone on this one. Glad we have Sammy and all, but frankly the cost was too high since we have no one to throw it to him, and no offensive scheme to utilize his skills.

well Doug changed all that, didn't he? Sammy wins. QB TBD. New OC will absolutely have a plan for Watkins if Whaley is indeed in charge of the search. Edited by YoloinOhio

All that matters to you is Watkins was drafted by the Bills therefore he is better. Also how have I made up my mind about Watkins career trajectory? I think he could end up being a HOFamer and the best Bills receiver of all time. How is that making up my mind? It just happens to be clear to anyone not wearing Bills rose colored glasses that Beckham is better. It is not even an argument. He was targeted 20 times a game so his 10 catches 150 yards and 1 TD per game doesn't really count. Just a pathetic stance to take.

What you know is that he had a more productive 2014. You know nothing else about this subject, no one does. Why you are so hell bent on pretending that you do is a mystery to me.

"Marrone was not in favor of Buffalo surrendering a future first-round pick to the Cleveland Browns in a trade that did not involve a quarterback, sources said."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffalo-bills-coach-quit-nowhere-182825013.html

I was against it too when the team wasn't 100% positive that EJ was the franchise guy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first thing that I've totally agreed with Marrone on in all this time!

I agree that not giving up 2014's 2nd rounder and instead giving up 2015's 1st rounder was a bad move. But it wasn't catastrophic, there is no QB at 19th overall that will be a franchise guy, and it's still no excuse for Marrone's behavior and the offense's ineptitude.

What you know is that he had a more productive 2014. You know nothing else about this subject, no one does. Why you are so hell bent on pretending that you do is a mystery to me.

What Odell Beckham did this year was very rare in the NFL. When players come out and have rookie seasons like this it is not an accident. It means they are going to be one of the all time greats. The only thing that can stop Beckham from having a sure fire first ballot HOF career and being considered one of the greatest WR's of all time is injury.