My final thoughts on Saint Dougie

BmarvB

The smartest thing Marrone did was bring in the right people to run the Defense since that's really not his strong suit. The worst thing he did was NOT bring in the right people to run the offense (this was his strong suit? Really?? Seriously???).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although nothing's guaranteed, I think this can work out tremendously in the Bills' favor. The biggest problem on the team was Marrone's offense (not Hackett's offense) implemented by Hackett. If Marrone stayed put, odds were overwhelming that Hackett would have stayed put as well. I'm in favor of promoting Schwartz to HC (he's smarter than Marrone for starters) and making Pepper Johnson DC. Terrific continuity on defense and an opportunity to revamp the offense. Go out and get an experienced OC (Trestman?) and an OL coach better than Morris and you've upgraded all-around. Granted the QB situation stinks but go out and get a veteran FA QB who is better than Orton (Matt Moore and Mark Sanchez aren't great but they're at least on a par with Orton), and let the vet compete with Manuel in camp. Upgrade OL and TE in free agency, add a RB and maybe another QB in the draft and at a minimum, the team is primed to make a playoff run in 2015.

So the new Buffalo Bills owner, Terry Pegula, sees the positives that you just posted and decides to offer former Buffalo Bills GM Bill Polian a position with the Bills.

Polian initially accepts but when Polian sees QB Kyle Orton leave and then the HC Doug Marrone leave, Polian decides to decline Terry Pegula's employment offer.

How is all of this not a disaster for the Buffalo Bills?

It will be fine. Polian is way past his prime and has been out of the league for awhile now. Marrone was a good coach who didn't have a clue about who to trust with the offense. He will be easily replaced and there is enough talent on this team to make the playoffs next year with the right leadership in place. It sucks to start over again with a new coach, but I'm hoping they get the right guy and he hires a competent OC. My best case would be to hire Schwartz as HC, keep the same defensive system and get a good OC to utilize the talent that we have on that side of the ball. Of course a lot depends on who the QB is but that was true even before Marrone left.

Although nothing's guaranteed, I think this can work out tremendously in the Bills' favor. The biggest problem on the team was Marrone's offense (not Hackett's offense) implemented by Hackett. If Marrone stayed put, odds were overwhelming that Hackett would have stayed put as well. I'm in favor of promoting Schwartz to HC (he's smarter than Marrone for starters) and making Pepper Johnson DC. Terrific continuity on defense and an opportunity to revamp the offense. Go out and get an experienced OC (Trestman?) and an OL coach better than Morris and you've upgraded all-around. Granted the QB situation stinks but go out and get a veteran FA QB who is better than Orton (Matt Moore and Mark Sanchez aren't great but they're at least on a par with Orton), and let the vet compete with Manuel in camp. Upgrade OL and TE in free agency, add a RB and maybe another QB in the draft and at a minimum, the team is primed to make a playoff run in 2015.

I agree. That's the best and smartest route they can take right now. Let's hope they make it happen.

If Pegula capitulates and concedes to Marrone's demands, which in turn, entices Polian to accept Pegula's offer, by no means would mean that Polian comes here and does a great job. I'd rather have a HC who WANTS to be here in Buffalo (see Ted Nolan) to work alongside a GM who hasn't let the game pass him by. I'm sorry but Bill Polian is 'Old Hat'. I want somebody who is 'Wow & Now' as GM of our team.

Just sayin'.

Tell me how Whaley did **** for this team? He was GM for one season, last year and it was a disaster. He traded away this years first for a WR who is good, but there was as good or better talent at WR still on the board. His Free agent signings and trades have sucked and what about Kujo in the 2nd?

Whaley should be fired NOW, he is way in over his head.

Do you have to filter every single one of your opinions through your "Watkins sucks" obsession?

I could go with this. I would love to know what Schwartz thinks went wrong in Detroit though.

On losing out on Polian. Biggest mistake the Bills ever made (and that's saying something!) was giving Polian the boot in 1993. Let that sink in a little. 1993!!! I'm a huge Bill Polian fan but twenty two years later, I'm perfectly ok with him not taking a job with the Bills.

This

Polian already went on record on why he declined the job - he wanted Marrone and is too old to do the hard work of hiring a new head coach. This's a disaster averted by the Bills, since Polian freely admitted he didn't want to work hard and was obviously not "all in" from the get go.

Bing.

I support this as one good option with the exception of considering Donnie Henderson as DC because he's had some experience at the coordinator job. The defense carried this team and the stat show it. This team needs a sharp OC that can game plan and design plays specific to the ability of the players and not some elementary college offensive system that Marrone and Hackett were too stuborn to dump. I'm for keeping Whaley too. I don't think his performance is a problem here.

In 2 games the offense scored no TD's

In 5 games the offense scored 1 TD

In 5 games the offense scored 2 TD's

In 4 games the offense scored 3 or more TD's and 2 of those were against the Jets. The other 2, NE, and Denver were losses.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Yeah, I have a decent feeling about Schwartz, but I'd like to know what happened in Detroit. Was he a lousy manager of people? Did he have no sense for the offense and try to mess with it? It would be the best thing for continuity, but there are big questions to be answered.

Here is what Saint Doug did for the Bills,

1. Was supposed to be a Offensive guy, especially offensive line but they got worse. Even with drafting 3 players this year.

2. continued to run predictable plays all season, run, run, pass short of first down and punt. Did this with 4 different QB's.

3. Failed to develop 1st round pick EJ Manuel.

4. Traded for Sammy Watkins, then barely threw to him.

5. Sammy needed 18 stinking yards for a 1000 yard season, but would rather throw 2 yard passes to Woods or run the ball in a meaningless game.

6. Punted on 4th and one consistently , when you had one of the best defenses this year.

7. Ran off Stevie Johnson & Mike Williams.

Edited by bisonbrigade

If Pegula capitulates and concedes to Marrone's demands, which in turn, entices Polian to accept Pegula's offer, by no means would mean that Polian comes here and does a great job. I'd rather have a HC who WANTS to be here in Buffalo (see Ted Nolan) to work alongside a GM who hasn't let the game pass him by. I'm sorry but Bill Polian is 'Old Hat'. I want somebody who is 'Wow & Now' as GM of our team.

Just sayin'.

As much as I like Polian for the job he did back then (key word - BACK THEN), it's time to take this team FORWARD. That's not going to happen by trying to relive the past. I can see Polian as an outside consultant and at the most, an advisor to Whaley, nothing more. Let him stay in the booth, and keep Whaley in place. Move Brandon back to marketing where he belongs, and get a modern day football guy for the Pres of Football Operations.

My final thoughts:

1. Decent coach, seemed to have support of his coaching staff and players. Even putting certain players (Mike Williams) in his doghouse probably had some positive effect on the others. We're not privy to all those team dynamics, but to me the proof was in the obvious effort the guys who were on the field put in from Game 1 to Game 32 of the Doug Era.

2. Not much of a strategist. And not exactly a riverboat gambler. I'd have preferred a little more aggressiveness on offense and a little less willingness to punt. And a little less loyalty to his assistants like Hackett, who looked like he cod use some help.

3. Part of being an NFL coach is handling the media and fans with grace. (yeah, I know, Belichick and all that). And he failed miserably on that front. That won't play any better in NYC or Chicago or wherever he winds up. Belichick earned the right to be grumpy. Marrone hasn't earned anything yet.

4. We all appreciate a graceful exit. That's why I was glad to see this statement from Doug:

"It is with mixed emotions that I informed Mr and Mrs Pegula that I will not be returning as Bills coach next year. I respect everything the late Mr Wilson did for this organization and this community, and the people of Buffalo, and we can all take great pride in the fact that our new owners are committed to continuing that tradition. These decisions are always difficult and involve a whole host of family and professional considerations. Please be assured that I am honored by the support of the people of Western New York over these last two years, and that my departure is in no way an expression of any dissatisfaction. As we move on to new opportunities, I wish the Bills and the people of Buffalo nothing but the best. You have earned it."

Oh, wait a minute. He never said anything remotely like that. Instead he apparently issued no formal statement at all and then trashed the organization to Polian on his way out. What a jackass. And I never got over that slump shouldered, mouth slightly open, constipated expression on his face that he had on the sidelines. Doug Marrone, you will not be missed.

So the new Buffalo Bills owner, Terry Pegula, sees the positives that you just posted and decides to offer former Buffalo Bills GM Bill Polian a position with the Bills.

Polian initially accepts but when Polian sees QB Kyle Orton leave and then the HC Doug Marrone leave, Polian decides to decline Terry Pegula's employment offer.

How is all of this not a disaster for the Buffalo Bills?

Because you point it out....I feel much better that everything will work out fine.

Mostly because your opinion is doggie doo doo

I just don't see that.

Bill Polian changing his mind and declining Terry Pegula's offer to join the Buffalo Bills is all the evidence anyone needs to realize that the Buffalo Bills are a disaster right now.

I don't totally agree with this. I think Polians age has a lot to do with his decision not to take the job. Most guys at 72 don't want to do anything, and his TV gig keeps him active, relevant, and tied to the game. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows!

I don't think either Polian or Marone is, in the end, going to come out looking that great from this. Let's not assume that the problems here are all on the part of the Bills organization.

The tale will be told in the team's record in the next season or two (and in Marone's record wherever he ends up). I think Marone has real ability as a coach, but I also think this season has revealed some character issues with him.

Polian already went on record on why he declined the job - he wanted Marrone and is too old to do the hard work of hiring a new head coach. This's a disaster averted by the Bills, since Polian freely admitted he didn't want to work hard and was obviously not "all in" from the get go.

So what was Polian expected to come in and do? A proper consultant evaluation would be to determine if they had the right head coach. Sounds like he wouldn't have done that.