Marrone's contract

wnysteel

Did a search and didn't see this elsewhere.

My question is, WHY is his contract guaranteed when he chose to opt-out? I fully understand the opt-out option with ownership changes. But if he chooses to leave, why do the Bills still have to pay him? If he chooses to opt-out, the guarantee should be dropped.

To me, this smacks of greed. He will get paid $4million (widely reported) by the Bills next year WHILE ALSO coaching someone else.

I'd love to know who structured his contract that way (Whaley? Brandon?). In my mind, whoever did that deserves to go also. That is terrible.

My speculation is that this is all about $$$ for Marrone. Pure and simple.

The guaranteed positives of leaving ($4MM plus whatever his next contract is) outweigh the potential negatives (tanking next season and getting fired) of staying.

He's selling while his stock is high, and I can't fault him for that.

But I still hope he fails miserably because I'm a prick.

I assumed it was there because at the time, new ownership may have also meant relocation which is a huge change to the job. If the team was to move, he would have a safety net if he didn't want to go to say LA or Canada. It's not altogether uncommon to write these things into offers for candidates when there is uncertainty with even regular corporations in the business world, when you need to seal the deal on the offer. It looks crazy because of the dollars involved, but that is just the nature of what that job pays.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Doug Marrone left the Bills because QB Kyle Orton left the Bills.

Bill Polian declined Terry Pegula's invitation to join the Bills because Doug Marrone left the Bills because QB Kyle Orton left the Bills.

Both Doug Marrone and Bill Polian know that the Buffalo Bills are SCREWED!

Terry Pegula is probably now beginning to realize that the Buffalo Bills are SCREWED!

Welcome to the Buffalo Bills 2015 rebuild! :wallbash:

You didn't look very hard. It's in all the "Marrone opts out" threads.

They had to include this clause so he would chose the Bills over Cleveland.

Pegula has got to be wondering who agreed to that idiotic clause. Let's see, $4 million for leaving if another job opens up. And for what? To be sure to land this outstanding coach? Incredible performance with.... Syracuse? For one year?

Quite honestly getting 4Million for opting OUT of a contract is flabbergasting and shows the breathtaking stupidity of the organization. I could see if they offered that kind of sweet deal to Cower or some other big name who was a winner before in the NFL but Marrone???!! Are you f'ing kidding?? Even Chip Kelly I could kind of see but Marrone?? WHY!!!???

Bill Polian declined Terry Pegula's invitation to join the Bills because Doug Marrone left the Bills because QB Kyle Orton left the Bills.

Terry Pegula is probably now beginning to realize that the Buffalo Bills are SCREWED!

You don't seem to have anything to offer other than "we're SCREWED" If you won't go away, could you borrow that Chicken Little gif as your avatar?

There are FA QBs out there who are arguably on the same level or better than Orton. That's not saying much, but it's reason to not get wadded up. I like Matt Moore or Sanchez myself, though I know Sanchez will be vehemently argued against. The point is a player like Manning or Brees is hard to replace, but Orton was just average. Not so hard.

Polian is a 72 yr old has-been who's been out of football 3 years and screwed the pooch on his last FO gig, despite his storied past 20 years ago

Marrone appeared to have grave trouble understanding that as HC, he needed to critically evaluate every aspect of his offensive coaching last year and make changes where necessary, and that he was not the solution to every problem. Under his leadership, our OL devolved, our running game devolved, and our 1st round draftee QB failed to evolve.

We appear to have a GM who knows something and can bring in worthwhile FA and draftees such as Hughes, Brown, Woods etc.

We had a very good D last year and most of the key players will be back. The DC is under contract for 2 more years with no opt-out clause.

This is no longer the trainwreck the team was under Jauron/Gailey etc. The ownership is settled. The team's location is settled. It's now a much more desireable and attractive gig for a quality HC.

Why not offer the money. As was stated in convinced Marrone to sign here rather than maybe go to Cleavland or just delay things for days. RW owned the team at the time this was signed. The money wasn't coming from RW so if adding this clause helped seal the deal it was good for RW. Sign Marrone, things were looking up, helped him get 1.4$ bil for the team At that point Russ B was representing RW's interests, for the most part, was this good for the Bills, probably not, but Russ is obligated to act in RW's best interest not the teams, so he gladly welcomed to clause to get the deal completed. No one at that point knew where the team would be located in 2015, so wasn't a very outlandish request.

I'm sure too it was written so that Marrone had a 3 day window upon the end of the season after the deal is complete so no money was coming out of RW's pocket. If the deal was only closed next week, likely Marrone would had to have waited until next Dec 31st to exercise the option.

I assumed it was there because at the time, new ownership may have also meant relocation which is a huge change to the job. If the team was to move, he would have a safety net if he didn't want to go to say LA or Canada. It's not altogether uncommon to write these things into offers for candidates when there is uncertainty with even regular corporations in the business world, when you need to seal the deal on the offer. It looks crazy because of the dollars involved, but that is just the nature of what that job pays.

Exactly.

This contract was negotiated on behalf of a 95 year old Ralph Wilson who was too frail and sick to get out of bed to be there. How are people surprised that there was an opt-out clause? Does no one remember how worried, and then relieved, we all were about the stability of the franchise? If our feelings are that strong, of course the people taking the most prominent and high-pressure jobs at the company are going to protect themselves against any unpredictable changes.

Quite honestly getting 4Million for opting OUT of a contract is flabbergasting and shows the breathtaking stupidity of the organization. I could see if they offered that kind of sweet deal to Cower or some other big name who was a winner before in the NFL but Marrone???!! Are you f'ing kidding?? Even Chip Kelly I could kind of see but Marrone?? WHY!!!???

You guys don't get it. No one expected this clause to go into effect when they signed the deal. I do contracts all the time. This is called a throwaway provision. You put it in to give the other side something they think they want. Maroon was worried about an ownership change and a franchise move. So they threw this in. Other than Mularkey, Petrino, and Wannstedt back in 2004, who the #$%^ resigns from an NFL head coaching gig? Clearly the Bills never thought anyone would simply walk away just due to an ownership change. Maroon showed his true colors here. He's a POS. I don't blame the Bills one bit for this.

I think it was more involved then just Kyle Orton leaving, as there was speculation going on that Whaley and Marrone didn't get along well. For one thing Marrone wanted changes to the players on the O line before the season and denied.

Upon being questioned as to why he didn't take the advisory job with Buffalo, he stated because it was no longer a simple, and now much more complicated as they now needed a QB, a HC whereas when he first had spoken with Pegula they didn't.

Bill Polian stated it was more a retooling on the offensive side then a full rebuild. I agree, as a new offensive HC should be able to fix problems quickly, O line, QB.

The guaranteed positives of leaving ($4MM plus whatever his next contract is) outweigh the potential negatives (tanking next season and getting fired) of staying.

He's selling while his stock is high, and I can't fault him for that.

But I still hope he fails miserably because I'm a prick.

You sure are ! Welcome to the club .

He did us wrong. I wont forget anytime soon.

Whoever gave this contract to a not even top level unproven college coach should go. How could he not leave, he stands to make two salaries next year.

At the time he was probably squarely #2 behind kelly on most lists. There are plenty of other ways this could've played out. Not like you lost money.

Edited by NoSaint

At the time he was probably squarely #2 behind kelly on most lists. There are plenty of other ways this could've played out. Not like you lost money.

Its true. about Marrone .

but this has been a crazy week or so for us all.

I heard Philly might be looking for a head coach ? and not by choice. there ya go Marrooned! As soon as the Jets get a real GM and they won't touch you, Thats was just Casserly blowing in your ear you Dolt.

Vic is on Sirius this afternoon (along with Dan Leberfeld), they started with a lot of Bills, Jets, Marrone talk...

Carucci said Marrone got the out clause because the group that was in charge (Whaley, Brandon, et. al.) knew Ralph was in poor health and wanted to swing for the fences and get their guy. Marrone has a savvy vet agent who realized the situation and was able to negotiate hard. He also said Cleveland was offering Marrone more money, so the Bills countered with the clause. Pretty much as reported here :D

He also said that Marrone and Whaley were not on the same page personnel-wise and went so far as to say Whaley was reckless with the drafting of EJ, the trade for Sammy, etc.

Leberfeld on the other hand said that while he thinks Marrone should be a candidate for the Jets job to basically stop the process to just hire him is crazy!

LOL so the Bills are SCREWED? Is that what you're trying to say here? I think you are dead wrong. Marrone was a middling coach and his buddy Hackett was a hack. With no changes to the defense and a competent HC and OC, this is a playoff team right now. They mismanaged the talent that they had on offense and coached their way out of the playoffs this year. I believe with a competent HC and OC this team makes the playoffs next year with very few changes on either side of the ball. They don't even really need a "franchise" QB, just a competent guy to work with the OC and use the talent that they already have.