Tim Graham: Marrone spoke to and convinced Polian not to take job

Again everything is all speculation, the only person who I would listen to is Carucci when it comes to Polian.

Same here.

I wonder if TG's source on this was in fact Marrone himself. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if Doug interpreted Polian's decision through that prism...

Local sports (Rochester) tonight said Polians decision came after Orton then Marrone both quit. He thought the consultant job would be "fun" originally, but with no HC or QB the job would require more "heavy lifting" than he was prepared to take on.

So in other words, they read the Buffalo News.

Gotta love news 'organizations' these days...

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

polians old news, its like bringing back levy or wanstach, i like what the coach in san diego did. I like reich, i like new, young coaches who arent idiots, like marrone was at times, And surely Hackett is. New coaches can win in the nfl, we just have to hire a good one. Not a good ole boy of the coaching fraternity like Wade philips was, or how marrone didnt fire hackett or crossman after a horrible year. Screw Marrone, he was a quitter and in it for himself all along. Please can we just get a young guy with a brain this time?!

Marrone left and trashed everything in his path like a punk rock band in a hotel suite. Polian was a fun idea but not a long term position. If he took only Marrone's word after saying yes, then he should stay in broadcasting. Bills are in good shape. Need to hire a coach and figure out who will be the starting QB, Pegula wants a football man to help steer the team to the playoffs. Next month will be interesting.

If true, that is just unreal.

@ByTimGraham:Well-placed source: Polian's decision on Bills shifted in past day. Major factor in change of heart was talking to Marrone, who ripped org.

@ByTimGraham: Everything was lined up for Polian to return to Bills just 24 hours ago. But he is a big fan of Marrone's and trusts his opinion.

If this is true...Good grief...Marrone is going to be the most hated man in the history of WNY...And I'm not saying that because I wanted Polian here again...I did not...But this type of activity is about as classless as it gets...Especially because he's basically bashing the guy that kept the team in Buffalo... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

It is 100% total BS. Go read the feature story in the Buffalo News sports. From Polian's own mouth as told to Vic Carucci. I'll 100% believe that over anything else. Simply had to do with Polian not wanting to make a 5 year commitment to the Bills at his age. Had nothing to do with Marrone bad mouthing the Bills, had zero to do with money. Polian thought it was going to be an advisory role and it turned into a total overhaul. he didn't want to do it so that's that.

True Story!!!

Yep, no wonder why this organization is a joke. Run best QB and coach that have been here in years out of town on a rail. Welp, everybody got what they wanted. Back to the basement we go, and then get to hear the same whiners complain all over again. Yay!!!

Please don't post anymore.

You know, that's an interesting point. It's the Sugar Bowl, BTW.

"...the Pegulas couldn't assure Marrone their organizational changes would be substantial enough for Marrone's liking."

The boss is in the Big Easy scouting and Marrone tries a palace coup. %*@!^#

If anything is clear here, it's that Whaley is far from being "the boss."

I don't really care if this is true, but it doesn't add up. Marrone was worried about the uncertainty of polian coming in, yet they are best friends?

Also, as much as I don't really care for Marrone, it doesn't seem his style to go out of his way to bad mouth the team. I wonder if he just gave his assessment of what we needed and it sounded like too much work for polian.

Yeah, on Twitter Graham referred back to that article. Littman is gone of course, and I don't imagine anyone is protecting Overdorf or Berchtold anymore.

On the other hand, one of the things that Polian commented in his book The Game Plan was how when he came in, there were people in the organization who were all "business as usual" and not committed to winning, and it was a lot of work to replace them and build a total package. If what Polian wanted was an easy consultant gig where all the pieces were in place and he just had to come in and tweak a bit, I can see where news that the Bills organization had devolved pretty much to where it was when he took over....would make him shy away.

I can see where it could be true then, that Marrone had a frank talk with Polian "this is how it is" and Polian said "no thanks" without any trashing or being led around on a leash by Marrone, which is how Graham made it sound.

Frankly I think Tim had too much NYEve cheer and was influencing his journalistic judgement on Twitter etc but maybe I don't follow him enough to know he's always like that

To me, it seems unlikely that Polian would hang his potential future on whatever Marrone was ranting about.

But, if is only reason for joining the team was he thought all the pieces were in place for him to show up and take the credit, maybe.

Theres only 32 of these positions in the entire world. 5 ( off the top my head, I guess six now) available. How ****ty do conditions have to be to cause someone to quit, without certainty to ever get it back again. This is a joke to the players and fans of this team.

Not very sh**ty at all when you get to take $4 million reasons with you and have good PR puffing off a "winning season with no QB" and beating GB to help you down the "inside track" to another gig

Not very sh**ty at all when you get to take $4 million reasons with you and have good PR puffing off a "winning season with no QB" and beating GB to help you down the "inside track" to another gig

True...And Marrone is his own biggest fan...No one is a bigger Doug Marrone fan than Doug Marrone...I'm 100% certain that Marrone is 100% certain he will be sought after big time...We'll see how right or wrong he is very soon... B-)

If anything is clear here, it's that Whaley is far from being "the boss."

In Marrone's eyes, I suppose you're right.

He ran his own show at Syracuse and wanted to do it in Buffalo. Unfortunately, the NFL doesn't work that way. If he thought he could pull rank on a young, inexperienced GM, who he didn't respect, that still wouldn't play well with a more experienced businessman like Pegula.

Edited by Lurker

Reads like TG in damage control mode.

The bit about the OBD "lifers" doesn't ring true as we're now in the post-Ralph world, where they no longer have air cover. The Jim Overdorf's and Bud Carpenter's of the world will soon be gone, just like Littman.

"Polian would need to coordinate a coaching search in addition to find a new quarterback and maybe reorganize the scouting department." Where's Whaley... off getting coffee or polishing cleets?

Sorry, still not buying it.

The lifer comment was from a February story. It was accurate at the time. Those criticizing the piece for suggesting that it helped drive Polian away are missing the point -- that a guy who the Bills gave his first NFL head coaching job and a generous contract with a nice opt out feature felt it was ok to rip his generous employers on the way out the door.

The lifer comment was from a February story. It was accurate at the time. Those criticizing the piece for suggesting that it helped drive Polian away are missing the point -- that a guy who the Bills gave his first NFL head coaching job and a generous contract with a nice opt out feature felt it was ok to rip his generous employers on the way out the door.

Agree 100%... B-)

The lifer comment was from a February story. It was accurate at the time.

Agreed. Which is why it makes no sense for TG to include it in today's story....that factor was no longer in play with the ownership change.

Edited by Lurker

Agreed. Which is why it makes no sense for TG to include it in today's story....that factor was no longer in play with the ownership change.

I think Graham named three guys as lifers, in addition to the trainers comment. They were Littman, Overdorf and Bertchold. Two are still there. Hopefully both will be gone.