Head Coach Candidate: Josh McDaniels

Why on earth would we want to hire a guy who flamed out in Denver in just two seasons? Who thought he could turn Orton, and then Tebow (!) into winning NFL quarterbacks?

Well: (1) for whatever reason, the Niners and Falcons are already committed to interviewing him, but they may very well pass on him. (2) you can't deny he's been successful with the Patriots. Sure he's had Brady, but he also managed to rebuild the offense the last couple years after it was sputtering following the losses of Hernandez and Welker. (3) lots of young coaches fail and then get it right the second time around. (4) thinking you're smarter than everyone else is usually bad (it makes you do things like draft Tebow), but sometimes it's good (it makes you do things like go to Kaepernick even though Alex Smith is taking you to the playoffs again). (5) he knows the Patriots, and winning the division starts and ends with beating the Patriots. (6) he's not afraid to lie, cheat and steal to get there.

We can go several ways with the Head Coach. (I'm assuming there's no realistic Cowher/Gruden thing here.) Ultra-conservative? Just promote Schwartz. High risk, potentially high reward? Get McDaniels. In between? Hire someone else's coordinator (offensive or defensive) who's reasonably well respected, or recycle a Mike Smith. I think I'm inclined to roll the dice and bring in a bold choice, particularly a bold offense-oriented choice. The window of opportunity is right now. A conservative choice means you try to get by with a slightly more competent offensive performance, go 10-6, and hope either Brady gets hurt or, unlike this year, the wild card opens up. And then you lose in the first round. McDaniels could be a complete and total bust again, but maybe, just maybe ...

By the way, what happened to the Rooney Rule? I'm not hearing anything about minority coaches. Just wondering if it's still in place.

It is. Now you interview the 1st minority coach you find on staff to check the box and proceed as normal after

Edited by TheFunPolice

I'm pro mcdaniel if he brings garroppolo

What if he brings Ryan Mallet? I don't know what to think about him.

It is. Now you interview the 1st minority coach you find on staff to check the box and proceed as normal after

I think you're probably right. Without making some kind of political point, it seems to me that when all the coaching candidates kicking around are white guys, there's probably a really good black HC candidate people are missing out on.

What if he brings Ryan Mallet? I don't know what to think about him.

I think you're probably right. Without making some kind of political point, it seems to me that when all the coaching candidates kicking around are white guys, there's probably a really good black HC candidate people are missing out on.

Jets already did it so they could hire St. Doug whenever they want

well, it appears that he was right along along when he ditched Cutler. Also taking that WR they have there over Dez Bryant wasn't a bad move either.

Plus, hate him or love him, Tebow is available and he really liked Tebow. That could be a good thing?

well, it appears that he was right along along when he ditched Cutler. Also taking that WR they have there over Dez Bryant wasn't a bad move either.

Plus, hate him or love him, Tebow is available and he really liked Tebow. That could be a good thing?

And something makes me think the McDaniel's ego is still so huge that he'd bring Tebow in again as soon as he's named a HC just to prove that he, Boy Genius Josh McDaniels, can make anything work. (Actually, I think enough time has now passed that an NFL team really could use Tebow effectively as just a wildcat QB/FB without fans clamoring for him to start at QB)

No thanks. This guy is dirty

Yeah, but he'd be our dirty guy this time.