Schefter on Music City Miracle Play---Undisputed Forward Lateral...

Big Turk

Says he was in the press box that day and the play happened directly underneath him, and that it was an undisputed forward lateral...thanks Adam, glad to hear someone confirm what all of us in Buffalo already knew...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/page/blitz150101/still-not-buying-music-city-miracle-adam-schefter-blitz

This is a good time to remind everyone NOT to watch sportscenter this weekend. They WILL show that play when they do the top 10 wildcard highlights. it happens every damn year.

As if we needed another reason to not watch Sportscenter.

From the naked eye without any replay, the call on the field should have been a forward lateral. Then, when they went to review, it should have been ruled that there wasn't enough conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field. The fact that the refs did not throw a flag and call it a forward lateral is absolutely nuts.

Says he was in the press box that day and the play happened directly underneath him, and that it was an undisputed forward lateral...thanks Adam, glad to hear someone confirm what all of us in Buffalo already knew...

http://espn.go.com/n...-schefter-blitz

Yup. I'm over it but ultimately a lateral play should never be given the benefit of the doubt. If it's not CLEARLY a lateral then it's not a lateral. That particular pass was about a yard and a half forward. It was pretty clear but the slippery slope and circumstances made it into a "just give it to them". Defending the forward pass on a kickoff is not part of the job description of the coverage unit. That said....don't lose games at home versus losing teams like NYG and Raiders and you aren't in the wildcard game. Nowadays great teams like Seattle, NE and Denver don't give away 2-3 games per year.

From the naked eye without any replay, the call on the field should have been a forward lateral. Then, when they went to review, it should have been ruled that there wasn't enough conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field. The fact that the refs did not throw a flag and call it a forward lateral is absolutely nuts.

Exactly my thoughts. I think the call had a lot to do with the game being played in Tennessee.

Every time I see it, I see Wycheck throwing the pass from behind the 25 and Dyson catching it in front of the 25. Unless Wycheck's arm is 3 feet long (it isn't) and he threw the ball completely sidearm (he didn't), no way it wasn't a forward pass.

Exactly. Clear as day. look at their feet.

Equally bad call that day was McNair awarded a first down after review. He dove on the sidelines, marked short and replay gave him the first down. Impossible to see where he went out of bounds. Would have been fourth down and punt. Titans got points on that drive. More inexcusable call then the forward lateral.

Is this the first time he's ever stated this in print? I've never heard this before but surprised he'd wait this long to speak out about it.

I've always said I could care less if it was a forward lateral someone still needed to tackle Dyson.

This is a good time to remind everyone NOT to watch sportscenter this weekend. They WILL show that play when they do the top 10 wildcard highlights. it happens every damn year.

Think about how I feel, that play happened on my 28th birthday so I relive it every year regardless

Edited by Max997

I remember watching this play like it was yesterday. I'll always remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it happened. That said I always thought they got the call right if you look at where the ball left his hand. I know I'm probably alone on that here but whatever. I was much more upset at the special teams unit than the refs.

I remember watching this play like it was yesterday. I'll always remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it happened. That said I always thought they got the call right if you look at where the ball left his hand. I know I'm probably alone on that here but whatever. I was much more upset at the special teams unit than the refs.

You're not alone. There have been computer analysis done of the play. It shows that the point where the ball left his hand is right about in line with where the ball was caught. It's very close.

The rule is clear that it's about where the ball is when it's thrown. Wycheck's right foot was about a foot away from the 25 yard line, his hand was forward of the right foot during the throw (right at about the 25 yd line), and Dyson scooped it up at about the 25 yd line. It was that close. With Wycheck's body mostly behind the 25 yd line, and Dyson's most beyond the line, it created the illusion that it's going forward, but from Wycheck's right throwing hand to Dyson's catching hands, the ball pretty much went in a straight line right along the 25 yd.line.

It's very possible that it was a few inches backwards, and if a flag had been thrown, it probably would have done the other way. Just not enough evidence to overturn it either way.

the footage starting at around the 1:12 mark of this angle shows that it was going backwards, or at the very least, on a straight parallel line.

Edited by SouthernMan