Rapaport: Marrone was in line for lucrative extension?

YoloinOhio

So Tim Graham reported that he asked for an extension and was denied. NFL.com said he was in line for one and still chose to leave. What is the real story? Why is the national media so polar opposite in its portrayal of this story than the local media?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452509/article/doug-marrone-decides-to-opt-out-of-contract-with-bills?campaign=Twitter_atn

Now this? GTFO!

@ProFootballTalk: Bills needed opt-out clause to persuade Marrone not to choose Cleveland in 2013 http://t.co/zqhBgD4l1p

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So Tim Graham reported that he asked for an extension and was denied. NFL.com said he was in line for one and still chose to leave. What is the real story? Why is the national media so polar opposite in its portrayal of this story than the local media?

http://www.nfl.com/n...ign=Twitter_atn

Now this? GTFO!

@ProFootballTalk: Bills needed opt-out clause to persuade Marrone not to choose Cleveland in 2013 http://t.co/zqhBgD4l1p

Where is Rapapport's article? WHy is Rosenthal reporting on Rapaport?

I see we have 2 threads going now on the same topic.

There are many flat-out contradictory statements out there in the press.

I really, really hope Marrone was not going to get a "lucrative K extension" for sure as some are reporting. If Pegula is not exercising more judgment than that at this time, it doesn't bode well.

Having said that, let's not forget something! Pegula gave Darcy Regier a big extension as well, for multiple years...right before he finally decided to throw his butt out the door a matter of months later.

Pegula may be more spontaneous and less cold/calculated than your average multi-billionaire.

LOL

So now its Marrone would have received an extension but was worried about a new football czar coming in? That seems a bit contradictory. In fact it makes very little sense unless he was worried about loosing some of his offensive coaching staff and if he chose to opt out because he couldn't retain Hackett or get him an extension, wow.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Good for Marrone in the short term. It's a major gamble to walk away seemingly without a job albeit with $4M in your pocket. But assuming he knew that a president of football ops was coming and he could be fired after all the jobs are filled isn't an easy thing to live with. Being out of the game for a year wouldn't be good long term so it's was a calculated risk. I don't fault the guy notr hate him with the venom many here do.

But I will say that the constant new info on stories like this make it worthless to try to draw some truth out. The stories can be so opposite it's worthless.

The report I read said he wanted to retain all of his coaches with that extension.

I don't blame Pegula, NO coach should have that kind of Power unless you are top 3

We need an OC and a QB coach, they suck

Edited by HOUSE

Where is Rapapport's article? WHy is Rosenthal reporting on Rapaport?

rap's tweets are a few posts above. I think Rosethal write the article and cited those.

@RQUINN619: @YardsPerPass @hsimon62 seems to me that Graham source= Pegula's, national guys= Marrone

Maybe this ^^^

I don't really care, he's gone and we need to be diligent in finding the new HC. I liked Marrone but he's gone, we need to turn the page and not look for guilty parties.

I bet a lot of fans feel this way as well. I will get there in a day or two myself! For now, I am still trying to get a handle on how this all played out.

But you are right. The real issue at hand now is to figure out who we are going to get, and how.

I just pray to God Russ is left out of the process. He has no business having a thing to do with it now.

(And I feel confident he will have nothing to do with it too).

Sorry, but why would he have been 'in line' for a lucrative extension? They went 9-7 and the offense never improved.

It doesn't make sense to me either, but there are a number of national press sources out there right now saying that Marrone was absolutely going to get a lucrative extension. I smell a fish.