Head Coach Candidate: Bill Cowher

bmur66

I don't like Schwartz as head coach but if they did that I would hope he hires a top flight OC and promotes Pepper Johnson and is hands off, just sits back and navigates the ship.

There is no way in hell I'd want him promoting Pepper and then be hands off the D. Pepper has no experience as a DC. If that change was made I'd want him to be very hands on.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time is right Bill. Get er done Mr. P. Make it so Bill doesn't have to do those Direct TV commercials any more.

he said on air two weeks when asked if he would ever coach again. paraphrasing his reply he said I have been out of the game for 8 years things change. i sleep in my own bed every night and love my job here. take it for what it's worth. I would guess 4 years at least if he took the job before the bIlls went anywhere. he is old and in the right place now. Him, Gailey, Polian, etc are best in the booth or boiling peanuts somewhere. maybe living in the past is not the smartest thing when after 15 years you're trying to build a perrenial play off team in Buffalo. But maybe as rumored bringing Polian in as a czar ala the tuna in Miami would help Get a QB in the least.

i would rather take a shot at a younger coach that might be here for 10+ years and effing WIN something. Cowher is too old to commit for a extended time. he quits then what?

There is no way in hell I'd want him promoting Pepper and then be hands off the D. Pepper has no experience as a DC. If that change was made I'd want him to be very hands on.

That's true, helping Pepper would be the only hands on stuff he should help out.

The one article is almost a year old so things might have changed. Also, the Bills ownership and location situation is settled now, where it was a large unknown a year ago. I would love to see proven winners like Dungy or Cowher take on the challenge of the Buffalo Bills. This has been a disfunctional team for so long it may be a challenge they could not pass up.

We are looking at the pic which was used as proof cowhernwas in town

I would take Cowher in a heart beat . I can't stand when people say he is old and hasn't been around in a while, that is crap you don't think analyst don't study film or watch football...come on man. We don't need an innovator so he can come here and try out his unproven offense so (chances are) fails and we start all over....no, no, no. How innovative do you need to be, the field is still 100 yards long right, teams still need run the ball between the tackles, and teams still need to block, tackle, and kick right. We need a leader and if Cowher decides he wants a five year contract give him 5 years. He would be awesome for our team. Also what is all this talk that if Schwartz gets hired not promoting Pepper Johnson because he doesn't know how to be a coordinator really.....this guy has been around football his whole life...of course he can be a D coordinator if anyone deserves a shot if Jim gets hired its him...look at what he did with our d line and I am not talking about the obvious 4 I am talking about the backups they all played well and didn't miss a beat.....sign him up...I mean his mentor is Bill B. Right....so why doubt him. I would take any of them Cowher, Schwartz, Chucky, any would be an upgrade over that Doug guy. Remember in 2013 when our D did really good under Mike P. And when he left most people thought oh crap there goes the D then we get Schwartz and our D was much better then the previous year and looking good for the future. So I just got that feeling the Bills are going to take that next step next year with a coach that has the it factor and a proven track record...our players will rally behind a coach like that and not miss a beat. Ok I am done happy new year everyone Go Bills.

I would take Cowher in a heart beat . I can't stand when people say he is old and hasn't been around in a while, that is crap you don't think analyst don't study film or watch football...come on man. We don't need an innovator so he can come here and try out his unproven offense so (chances are) fails and we start all over....no, no, no. How innovative do you need to be, the field is still 100 yards long right, teams still need run the ball between the tackles, and teams still need to block, tackle, and kick right. We need a leader and if Cowher decides he wants a five year contract give him 5 years. He would be awesome for our team. Also what is all this talk that if Schwartz gets hired not promoting Pepper Johnson because he doesn't know how to be a coordinator really.....this guy has been around football his whole life...of course he can be a D coordinator if anyone deserves a shot if Jim gets hired its him...look at what he did with our d line and I am not talking about the obvious 4 I am talking about the backups they all played well and didn't miss a beat.....sign him up...I mean his mentor is Bill B. Right....so why doubt him. I would take any of them Cowher, Schwartz, Chucky, any would be an upgrade over that Doug guy. Remember in 2013 when our D did really good under Mike P. And when he left most people thought oh crap there goes the D then we get Schwartz and our D was much better then the previous year and looking good for the future. So I just got that feeling the Bills are going to take that next step next year with a coach that has the it factor and a proven track record...our players will rally behind a coach like that and not miss a beat. Ok I am done happy new year everyone Go Bills.

LMAO too old. He is 57! Pete Carroll is 63, Marv Levy was 61 when he came. Even the other SB coach John Fox is 69. LOTS and LOTS of good coaches this age.

I hear what you are saying, but history says other wise on HC that have been away from the sideline for extended amount of years. I would also say that some of those guys were every bit as good as Cowher if not better, and when they came back they failed miserably. The game changes and evolves quickly, it is surely no slam dunk that Cowher would be any good if he were to be patrolling the sidelines at the Ralph next year.

I didn't read this but if it is a picture supposedly it is from 5 years ago.

Don't understand why everybody is infatuated with these old retread or old retired coaches. Isn't it still true that NO head coach has ever won a Super Bowl with 2 different teams? And only a small handful have ever even taken a second team to the Super Bowl? It scares the beejeezus out of me when there seems to be interest in the old retired guard. That hasn't worked well in the past with the likes of Shanahan, Gibbs, Parcells, Levy as GM etc. The game evolves and changes and the longer these guys are out of the loop, the more it affects them and their relearning curve is larger if and when they come back.

Yep, that's why no one should care that Polian backed out. Good riddiance

Something is gonna happen, and it's gonna be good. Being a Bills fan, I have the natural tendency toward feeling inferior and unwanted. Just yesterday somebody shared a link from August that showed Buffalo as the 2nd worst place to play football. Then Doug Marrone just turned his back on the team and is seeking greener pastures.

There are no greener pastures than coaching the Buffalo Bills. The fans here are the greatest, most loyal people in sports. Ask Vincent Gallo. He said it best. Tim Russert. Jim Kelly. Our Bills backers everywhere. We get together every Sunday and watch a team, even though we haven't had a playoff team in 15 years. We get together and watch our team.

This is our time. This isn't Doug's time. Doug's time is over. The Pegulas will bust some big moves and we will be better off without Saint Doug.

Don't understand why everybody is infatuated with these old retread or old retired coaches. Isn't it still true that NO head coach has ever won a Super Bowl with 2 different teams? And only a small handful have ever even taken a second team to the Super Bowl? It scares the beejeezus out of me when there seems to be interest in the old retired guard. That hasn't worked well in the past with the likes of Shanahan, Gibbs, Parcells, Levy as GM etc. The game evolves and changes and the longer these guys are out of the loop, the more it affects them and their relearning curve is larger if and when they come back.

It may be true that no coach has coached two teams to Super Bowl victories, but I couldn't disagree more. First of all you cannot use the failures of former coaches as GM's for an example. Coaching and management are two completely separate positions. Parcells only won a Super Bowl with the Giants, but brought the Patriots to one, and was successful with the Jets and Cowboys as well. Gibbs second stint with the Redskins was much maligned, but he did bring them to the playoffs twice. He also won a playoff game during his second stint. Shannahan was also highly critized with the Redskins during his time there. Shannhan made a playoff appearance with RG3 as his starting quarterback. In hindsight that looks like quite the feat. My point is that while "legendary" coaches aren't always as successful the second time around, they have still typically had moderate success. I think that our greatest wish at this time as Bills fans is to see our team in the playoffs. There is no reason why we should think Cowher couldn't do it. Like the coaches I mentioned above, he might not reach his former glory. However, if he could do what the rest of them did their second time around we would be happy as Bills fans. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Something is gonna happen, and it's gonna be good. Being a Bills fan, I have the natural tendency toward feeling inferior and unwanted. Just yesterday somebody shared a link from August that showed Buffalo as the 2nd worst place to play football. Then Doug Marrone just turned his back on the team and is seeking greener pastures.

There are no greener pastures than coaching the Buffalo Bills. The fans here are the greatest, most loyal people in sports. Ask Vincent Gallo. He said it best. Tim Russert. Jim Kelly. Our Bills backers everywhere. We get together every Sunday and watch a team, even though we haven't had a playoff team in 15 years. We get together and watch our team.

This is our time. This isn't Doug's time. Doug's time is over. The Pegulas will bust some big moves and we will be better off without Saint Doug.

I agree, and no matter what happens this owner is committed to winning above all else. The future for the Buffalo Bills looks ever so bright. This isn't an owner who doesn't know how to properly run a successful business, or will meddle on constant basis.

If Polian wants to back out for whatever reason, money, Marrone told him the team is dysfunctional, he wants to stay at ESPN and give his opinion over doing some actual football work. Or if he is so concerned about getting his bronze bust in canton, who really cares at this point.

It looked like a good hire to right the ship, but there are other people just as smart, and who will really want the job. Same thing with Marrone, good riddance. I only hope he takes the Jets job, and hires his buddy Nathaniel Hackett.

You can add Cowher as well to my, NOT a fan wishlist...I'll pass!

I'd much prefer someone ahead of the curve that will add ingenuity ala the first intro of the west coast offense, K-Gun etc...just think out of the box!

Oh! Someone who can identify & develop a QB...think someone like Holmgren, Reid, McCarthy etc. Go Bills!!!

Ingenuity and innovative are such over hyped terms. Winning in the NFL is more simple than that. The best QB's in the game give their team a chance to win a championship. Then it's about the simple yet complex things like execution, dedication, hard work, commitment and those are the things excellent coaches get out of their players. They have a great relationship with their excellent QB and everyone falls in line and they win games.