Head Coach Candidate: Bill Cowher

bmur66

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the whole thread but am on record as saying that I do not want Cowher as the head coach. I think that the modern game requires so much more than motivation and beating your man one on one. The game is won and lost before the ball is snapped as much as after. That wasn't the case a decade ago.

With that being said I would be 100% on board with Cowher filling the role that Polian was going to fill. He knows a winning organization and would lend instant credibility to the Bills. He will stop the snowballing negativity of the last week. I would think that Cowher would be a Whaley guy. Whaley was Kevin Colbert's right hand man. Colbert and Cowher worked together in Pittsburgh.

Im game, we'd be the only team in the NFL with a head coach who wears mascara and stars in rock videos.

As for him leaving his cushy job I highly doubt it .

Oh, dear lord in heaven, please stop with the Cowher nonsense. What's next? Bring back Levy?

****, is he available?

I'm not totally sold on the idea that Cowher would be able to adapt to the new NFL. Lots of folks on this thread have debated that point, and there's not much to add.

But what's indisputable is that Cowher brings a lot of positive attributes, unique among the candidates, to the table. First among them is the kind of star power that allows you your pick among assistants. As an example - folks are rightly concerned that Schwartz would chafe at working for a Gase or a Reich. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have any problem working for Cowher. And that's a massive advantage.

I'm not at all sure that he'll ever coach again. But I do think that he'd consider this job, working with Whaley and with Terry-sized money, if he was ever thinking about coming back.

I don't agree with you on Cowher at all, he had so much talent, especially on D, and IMO actually underachieved with it despite winning a Super Bowl, if he's as good as everyone here thinks then he should have won two or maybe even three in 15 years. Like Elway as a player, he won in his last season.

I love this argument. He only won 1 Super Bowl and should have won more according to TaskersGhost so he's not good enough for us who have not been to the playoffs for 15 years :w00t:

Edited by reddogblitz

Cowher is quoted today as saying he is happy at CBS and doesn't want to return to coaching at the moment. What about Gus Malzahn...a really innovative guy on offense and a success in college as a HC?

Its hard to get big time college coaches to hop over to the NFL. The best college coaches make very close if not more than the highest paid NFL coaches. Also College coaches get more control than pro-coaches. If you are going to get a college guy I think you are looking at getting just under a top tier guy.

Its hard to get big time college coaches to hop over to the NFL. The best college coaches make very close if not more than the highest paid NFL coaches. Also College coaches get more control than pro-coaches. If you are going to get a college guy I think you are looking at getting just under a top tier guy.

Somebody like Marrone you mean?