Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

F Doug Marrone. At the end of the day, that's all it boils down to. We'll have a new coach of the Buffalo Bills, and doug marrone is a guy coaching another team. Wish him nothing but the worst football luck in the world. Go Bills, and if you aren't with that, then have fun with the jets. See you next season

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think Schwartz is gone if Rex is hired? The system? Didn't Rex have a strong DC before, in Pettine?

Entirely different defensive philosophies. While with Ryan in New York, Pettine implemented Ryan's defense, the same one he brought with him from Baltimore, where Pettine was also part of Ryan's defensive staff. Pettine and Ryan are birds of a defensive feather.

GO BILLS!!!

Why do you think Schwartz is gone if Rex is hired? The system? Didn't Rex have a strong DC before, in Pettine?

Yup. But Pettine ran Rex's defense. He's a defensive guy whose specialty is the defense he runs, and his DC runs his defense the way Hackett ran Marrone's defense. Pettine stepped out and altered Rex's defense a little to create his own. It wasn't a 3-4 regardless of what people said it was. If Rex were to come here, it's hard to imagine he would step back and let Schwartz run is idea of this defense, even if it was proven to be good. Rex believes, like Pettine, in blitzing like crazy. Schwartz is the opposite.

Entirely different defensive philosophies. While with Ryan in New York, Pettine implemented Ryan's defense, the same one he brought with him from Baltimore, where Pettine was also part of Ryan's defensive staff. Pettine and Ryan are birds of a defensive feather.

GO BILLS!!!

Ok. I understand why people don't want to lose Schwartz, but is there any reason to believe the Bills don't have the personnel to succeed with a Ryan-style defense? It worked pretty well last year with Pettine. Seems to me Schwartz is a short-timer in Buffalo anyway.

Because I want the offensive guy to have no other responsibilities. Further, how can anyone adequately evaluate Gase or McDaniels? Charlie Weis was a genius with Tom Brady and a complete failure ever since. There is no way to separate them from their HOF QB's. Do you think Peyton even listens to anything Gase says? Marrone was supposedly an offensive guru and the offense is as bad as it has been since Losman was at QB. Bring in a young and upcoming DC and get a seasoned OC.

And to make my point even further, 90% of this board would have gladly traded Marrone for Pettine last year.

Bowles and Quinn are directing supreme defenses in the toughest division in football. Schwartz will not get a HC job. The best he can do is leave for another DC job which the Bills could block if they wanted.

If you hire an offensive guy he has no other responsibilities. That's what you want. The defense is set. There is a MUCH greater chance of getting a good offensive guy if he is the head coach. The other guys already have OC jobs and you cannot get them, You bring in Rex or Bowles and they change the defense that has already proved to be awesome.

Bringing in a defensive guy makes no sense to me.

Ok. I understand why people don't want to lose Schwartz, but is there any reason to believe the Bills don't have the personnel to succeed with a Ryan-style defense? It worked pretty well last year with Pettine. Seems to me Schwartz is a short-timer in Buffalo anyway.

The defense was much better this year because we didn't gamble and we could stop the run.

Oh, I think we have the personnel to run any defensive scheme with this front seven. We'd see more press man at the corners and a schit load of overload blitzes involving LBs and safeties. I'd just prefer to have some continuity over successive seasons. And I think Kiko, if he's healthy, will do much better in this scheme as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I say Thank You, Doug Marrone! Good luck to you elsewhere. This Bills team is strong and it is about to get stronger. There is nothing about the good fortune of the last year that leads me to believe that this next year is not going to be great! Oh, and welcome, !@#$ing back, KIKO!

Oh, I think we have the personnel to run any defensive scheme with this front seven. We'd see more press man at the corners and a schit load of overload blitzes involving LBs and safeties.

GO BILLS!!!

I like Sexy Rexy overall. I think he's a great defensive mind and pretty good HC. I have no idea, at this point in time, with these players, why anyone would want to hire a defensive minded coach unless he was Bill Bellichick. The defense is set. It's great. It has a great system. The offense is suspect at best. We need an offensive minded coach who can jumpstart the offense in our tight window. Why mess with this defense one bit?

It would be different if you had a chance at a surefire coach who would be there 10-15 years and you were playing the long run. But there is nothing that slightly resembles that.

Oh, I think we have the personnel to run any defensive scheme with this front seven. We'd see more press man at the corners and a schit load of overload blitzes involving LBs and safeties. I'd just prefer to have some continuity over successive seasons. And I think Kiko, if he's healthy, will do much better in this scheme as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Doesn't sound too bad to me. I just like the idea of hiring someone who has actually proven he can beat Belichick/Brady, someone who won't "kiss the ring". Until we find someone who can beat NE on a semi-regular basis, we are going nowhere. And you know Rex would get the boys fired up to play the Jets.

I like Sexy Rexy overall. I think he's a great defensive mind and pretty good HC. I have no idea, at this point in time, with these players, why anyone would want to hire a defensive minded coach unless he was Bill Bellichick. The defense is set. It's great. It has a great system. The offense is suspect at best. We need an offensive minded coach who can jumpstart the offense in our tight window. Why mess with this defense one bit?

It would be different if you had a chance at a surefire coach who would be there 10-15 years and you were playing the long run. But there is nothing that slightly resembles that.

Without a Schwartz promotion, our defensive window with this scheme is short. Unless Pep/Henderson can do the job.

I agree. No need to fix what isn't broken. Stands to reason this defense will be better next year with the addition of Kiko and everybody else having a year in it already.

GO BILLS!!!

Doesn't sound too bad to me. I just like the idea of hiring someone who has actually proven he can beat Belichick/Brady, someone who won't "kiss the ring". Until we find someone who can beat NE on a semi-regular basis, we are going nowhere. And you know Rex would get the boys fired up to play the Jets.

Half the reason the Patriots dominate this division is because there is all this turnover. It's not because Rex is a genious. We beat them with Fitz and Orton. I know the Orton one doesn't "count." but I know the Patriots have played many "meaningless" week 17 games during their 12 years of dominance or whatever.

But, it didn't stop the fact that by Buffalo beating them, some of their epic AFC/foxboro stats hit restart.

So !@#$ing dig it!

I didn't see ANYONE on Marrone's teams "kissing the ring!"

Half the reason the Patriots dominate this division is because there is all this turnover. It's not because Rex is a genious. We beat them with Fitz and Orton. I know the Orton one doesn't "count." but I know the Patriots have played many "meaningless" week 17 games during their 12 years of dominance or whatever.

But, it didn't stop the fact that by Buffalo beating them, some of their epic AFC/foxboro stats hit restart.

So !@#$ing dig it!

I didn't see ANYONE on Marrone's teams "kissing the ring!"

Give me a break. If you think that game last week proved anything then you are seriously delusional. Marrone was so overmatched against Belichick that it was pathetic. Rex beat Belichick in a playoff game at Gillette Stadium.

Give me a break. If you think that game last week proved anything then you are seriously delusional. Marrone was so overmatched against Belichick that it was pathetic. Rex beat Belichick in a playoff game at Gillette Stadium.

I think it meant something. I don't think it says Marrone is better than Belicic. But, supposedly Rex Ryan Is, and Doug Marrone CRUSHED Rex Ryan twice THIS year so.... Hmmmm.. Oh what? Tom Brady?

The SAME Jets that just embarrased that "good" team in Miami. Geno Smith...358yds! haha.

I'm tired of d-bags who refer to straight talk as "classless." If that's "classless" then class is overrated.

Claiming Marrone is unintelligent is straight talk? He just walked away with 4 mil for nothing and will have another HC job with more organizational control ASAP. Frankly, it was brilliant.

Edited by SmokinES3

Claiming Marrone is unintelligent is straight talk? He just walked away with 4 mil for nothing and will have another HC job with more organizational control ASAP. Frankly, it was brilliant. :eyeroll:

He is at least $4 million richer than each of the guys complaining incessantly that he did not go for it on fourth down.