Time to build around Manuel

gjv001

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ is an option but this team needs to find another veteran option. The defense could be scary good if retained and with possible upgrades along the offensive line and at tight end the QB could be put in a better position to have success. The team simply can not be all in on EJ without having a fall back. Not sure what else is out there but the team needs to find a proper challenger at QB for EJ.

Odds are we will not find a decent veteran QB replacement for Orton to play next season. Manuel is probable as good if not better than most of the QB's that will become available this off season. The Bills can get to the next level with Manuel if and only if they put players around him that can dominate.

Thank you for your post Mr. Whaley. I remember when you said the only thing holding EJ Manuel back was the lack of offensive weapons. Well Mr. Whaley you used two 1st round picks to select Sammy Watkins. Unfortunately, lack of weapons wasn't Manuel's problem. It was more like lack of ability to throw and understand the QB position among other small details. Well, you say, if we only surround him with dominating players he may work out. This line of "reasoning" is laughable.

How is all this dominating talent going to arrive? Magic? Are Cyril Richardson and Cyrus Kouandjio suddenly going to become NFL stars? The team is built through drafting wisely. Doug Whaley should be fired immediately. Based on the trade for Watkins alone he should be fired, but when you add in all the other failures the case is overwhelming against him.

Did he screw up every draft pick or transaction? Obviously not, but that shouldn't be the standard for building a Super Bowl contender. It is really going to be painful watching the draft next year knowing the Bills won't select a player until the middle of the second round around pick 50. This is not the way to build a champion.

Edited by Billsguy

Play your scenario out, OP. Brandon will step up to the mic and say 'we couldn't get another viable option at QB, so EJ is the Man, for better or worse'

Who, besides C.Biscuit is gonna buy That ticket?

We WILL get a good QB this off season. It's priority #1 and the entire FO's continued employment is in the balance.

EJ is not NFL starting material, as his coach was apparently telling NFL head coaches. They goofed big time on the pick. I don't know who's available in the draft next year (and it's moot without a first rounder) but I strongly suspect we've got to look at EJ as a backup and find a longterm solution elsewhere.

Which shouldn't be too hard to do and then we won't have to rally around EJ.

Werent we building around EJ by drafting woods last yr and trading up for Watkins this yr? And then drafting multiple OL?

Apparently EJ never got the memo.

Not sure you can put that all on EJ as the offense was equally inept with Orton at QB...

Not sure you can put that all on EJ as the offense was equally inept with Orton at QB...

yes but in different ways. EJ could avoid sacks but was getting his WRs killed and checking down every play ignoring open guys down field. Orton took all the sacks but was more accurate and willing to throw - but then regressed in that dept. esp in redzone. Both suffered from lack of run game and inept OL play.

I am hopeful that EJ will compete with whatever free agent/trade QB we bring in, and I'm confident that he could do the job if he emerges from that competition as the leader.

The part of your post that I do like is that the Bills get to sort of do this:

"With the 19th pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select Kiko Alonzo, Linebacker, Oregon"

Clearly we need to go after the best FA (or tradeable) QB available.

But what about the draft? Do we draft a QB? Or a couple of guards? QB and OL draft picks not mutually exclusive of course but Whaley will need to prioritize.

Personally, I'd rather draft some guards. Whoever lines up under center needs a running game and time to throw. I'm hoping for better but I'd be planning on EJ.

I am hopeful that EJ will compete with whatever free agent/trade QB we bring in, and I'm confident that he could do the job if he emerges from that competition as the leader.

The part of your post that I do like is that the Bills get to sort of do this:

"With the 19th pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select Kiko Alonzo, Linebacker, Oregon"

Who did we take with our two second rounders in 2013?

I don't care if it's EJ or who ever Get some lineman in there with some grit If ya got an good o line running gets easier an QB has that extra 2-3 seconds This scheme will be hard to stop period. Draft O line Then O line Then O line Then O line Did I say O- Line ?

Odds are we will not find a decent veteran QB replacement for Orton to play next season. Manuel is probable as good if not better than most of the QB's that will become available this off season. The Bills can get to the next level with Manuel if and only if they put players around him that can dominate. If we can keep our defense together and get a healthy Kiko Alonzo back our defense should be dominate. Now our challenge becomes to up grade the Oline and develop a dominate running game. Build a team similar to the Baltimore team that won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.

Right on my thoughts exactly I think ej could be better than Trent

Odds are we will not find a decent veteran QB replacement for Orton to play next season. Manuel is probable as good if not better than most of the QB's that will become available this off season. The Bills can get to the next level with Manuel if and only if they put players around him that can dominate. If we can keep our defense together and get a healthy Kiko Alonzo back our defense should be dominate. Now our challenge becomes to up grade the Oline and develop a dominate running game. Build a team similar to the Baltimore team that won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.

Right on my thoughts exactly I think ej could be better than Trent

Play your scenario out, OP. Brandon will step up to the mic and say 'we couldn't get another viable option at QB, so EJ is the Man, for better or worse'

Who, besides C.Biscuit is gonna buy That ticket?

We WILL get a good QB this off season. It's priority #1 and the entire FO's continued employment is in the balance.

I agree with Chandier (for once)

We cannot go into next season with EJ Manuel as the in place starter without competition.....REAL competition for two reasons

- A because he has already failed once.....now you can say that he was not ready....and frankly I agree with that....but the fact is you cannot sell ticketholders on that kind of a idea

- We will lose the team.....the players want a chance to win.....and for the reason mentioned above it should not just be given to EJ

Now....there is a chance that EJ just flat comes in and beats out whatever veteran QB we bring in (I doubt it depending on who that is) and if so then problem solved......

But we NEED a actually NFL starting QB in that spot....and we need to help that QB out with protection and a running game.

I agree with Chandier (for once)

We cannot go into next season with EJ Manuel as the in place starter without competition.....REAL competition for two reasons

- A because he has already failed once.....now you can say that he was not ready....and frankly I agree with that....but the fact is you cannot sell ticketholders on that kind of a idea

- We will lose the team.....the players want a chance to win.....and for the reason mentioned above it should not just be given to EJ

Now....there is a chance that EJ just flat comes in and beats out whatever veteran QB we bring in (I doubt it depending on who that is) and if so then problem solved......

But we NEED a actually NFL starting QB in that spot....and we need to help that QB out with protection and a running game.

Agreed.

At best EJ should be the third string, developmental QB on the team next year. If the Bills don't find option 1 & 1A through FA and/or the draft the Bills are probably looking at a 16th straight year out of the playoffs. EJs performance would have to do a complete 180 in order for him to even be competent as an NFL QB. He just hasn't shown the skills or abilities to lead one to believe that he can be an NFL QB. Given Orton's retirement I'm fairly certain the Bills won't cut him and he'll have a chance to win the job next season but the Bills simply have to come up with two QBs that are way ahead of where Manuel is if they hope to compete for a playoff spot.