Marrone/Whaley season ending PC today @3PM

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you read the quote you posted and get out of it that things might not change? We're done with the players, now we'll look at everything else...

There's a faction of the board that believes that as long as Russ Brandon is employed by the Bills he'll be running the football department...apparently this is because both Whaley and Marrone report to Russ.

The fact of the matter is that Whaley runs the football department, and the fact that Marrone reports to Russ (and not directly to Whaley) is evidence only that there's a separation of power between the HC and GM.

Yes, but just because they announced it, doesn't mean they have to tell YOU what they're doing with it. But you're right, it was probably the lack of analytics that made us miss the playoffs - not the QB, OL, RB group and OC...

I never said that. I just think you're way off base in accepting whatever the Buffalo Bills front office tells you. There's a need for secrecy, no doubt. They don't have to tell us everything, for sure. The problem, is I have no reason to believe they've actually adopted any new system.

If Russ is no longer running the football operations, for example, then why did they say he will help with reviewing the coaching staff? If EJ was the franchise quarterback going into the season, why can't they admit that he is or isn't based on just 4 games starting? There's just so many question marks year after year. It's getting annoying, and I think we're all justified in being frustrated and question them again and again until they actually prove they know what they're doing.

They are really adept at saying nothing.

If they aren't firing anyone today, hiring anyone today, cutting anyone today or signing anyone today, what's to say? There really is no reason to have this press conference today, expect it is what it is expected from them. Quick dog and pony show and it's cocktail time. They say nothing because, there is nothing to say at this time, that they want to (or should be expected to) share outside of the organization (and maybe even within it).

Of course, reporters get to parse the minutia of what they said, didn't say, tone of voice, etc. But that's a bunch of bulls#it. They do it because THEY are expected to write something about this non-event.

I know everything you said but that is not what happened at all. Hogan didn't even play the first four games. Everyone here went nuts because WRs were running wild in the Houston secondary and EJ wasnt looking or throwing to them. Williams caught an 80 yard TD in that game. They were using Woods in the slot. And they were switching him back and forth with Williams on the outside in the first four games. then and only then, out of nowhere, does Williams disappear.

When coaches talk about players coming on and/or regressing it's about in practice as much as it is in game.

Hogan is just the after thought of the whole point.

He's the guiy that gets to play slot because Woods is a good #2 (outside) and MW can't play slot.

Oh and the long TD was just badly broken coverage... Glad he caught it and all just sayin.

I liked MW in the redzone - never did get to see that much.

Edited by 34-78-83

When coaches talk about players coming on and/or regressing it's about in practice as much as it is in game.

Hogan is just the after thought of the whole point.

He's the guiy that gets to play slot because Woods is a good #2 (outside) and MW can't play slot.

Are you really saying that Mike Williams went from starter to #3 outside guy to inactive to release because Chris Hogan played well in the slot in practice over four weeks even though Williams was open a lot in the games, helped win the first game with just what they brought him here to do, and scored an 80 yard TD in his last game he started where they benched their franchise QB because he couldn't hit wide open WR? :lol:

Not that surprising. Players tell other players more than they do coaches or GMs.

Eric also just kind of went after Vic Carucci who apparently said he needs more muscle mass or something like this.

Wood said his fitness is at an all-time best right now; he is 305 to 310 lbs, with 20% body fat which is elite for an OL.

He said he has never had more lean muscle mass ever. Kind of interesting.

I never said that. I just think you're way off base in accepting whatever the Buffalo Bills front office tells you. There's a need for secrecy, no doubt. They don't have to tell us everything, for sure. The problem, is I have no reason to believe they've actually adopted any new system.

If Russ is no longer running the football operations, for example, then why did they say he will help with reviewing the coaching staff? If EJ was the franchise quarterback going into the season, why can't they admit that he is or isn't based on just 4 games starting? There's just so many question marks year after year. It's getting annoying, and I think we're all justified in being frustrated and question them again and again until they actually prove they know what they're doing.

OK, I was a little fast and loose with the analytics are responsible comment :D

As for the others (just IMO, BTW TBD):

- Brandon: He's the President of the team, they make decisions as an organization, he's part of the discussions (coaching staff, while in "Football Ops" are also part of the larger organization, maybe there's a guy that's a jerk to EVERYONE - even outside of the football department - that needs to go for non-football reasons).

- Admitting EJ is, or is not, a franchise QB: because we just don't know yet. Was he this year or last? No. Might he be next year? Hard tellin', not knowin'

Bottom line for me is that our record get better, we went from 6 wins to 9 and with a few key positional (and yes, perhaps staff *cough* OC *cough*) adds, I see that going up next year.

Plus I personally had one of the most damn fun Bills seasons in years. Camping at Hammers. The Denver game in Denver. Hosting the Billsmafia at my place in VT. I had a lot more highs, than lows :beer:

love this pic from the presser (courtesy of https://twitter.com/hsjrphoto):

Russ LOVES Marrone! Classic shot for sure...

Well, he is dreamy.

Did Whaley look stoned, as usual? The guy has those whacked out stoner eyes.

So funny, the look on Russ' face does read as "that dude is dreamy". :D

Regarding Whaley, how would I know? I wasn't with him I swear. Why are you asking me - just because I live in Vermont and recently got back from Colorado!? I DIDN'T DO IT!

So funny, the look on Russ' face does read as "that dude is dreamy". :D

Regarding Whaley, how would I know? I wasn't with him I swear. Why are you asking me - just because I live in Vermont and recently got back from Colorado!? I DIDN'T DO IT!

Might be the avatar.

I really enjoy all the overreactions and nit-picking analysis on TSW. Good grief guys. Highlights:

"Marrone is smug". WHO CARES. I can name a successful coach who's pretty darn smug.

"Russ is smiling". PLEASE. This doesn't matter at all.

And all the criticism over Whaley's response to the analytics question? Those are some of the best comments. All teams use analytics, most likely use them differently and none will ever tell the fans or media how they use them. It's absolutely proprietory, and for all we know analytics could be why we overachieved at times this year.

You guys make me laugh.

Bunch of BS if you ask me...you didn't I know but...

Marrones ego makes poor personnel decisions, he seems to hold grudges against guys and it affects their playing time and in turn the overall team performance.

Williams, Urbik, Branch, and Brown can attest to this.

If Orton wasn't into it he should have said so and stepped aside. He looked like a guy trying to not get hurt most of the last 6 games.

The relationship between Marrone and Whaley is completely non existent. Marrone mentioned telling Russ to tell Whaley while he told Pegula about Orton. Why couldn't he tell both? What's the urgency, plenty of time in the off season.

Are you really saying that Mike Williams went from starter to #3 outside guy to inactive to release because Chris Hogan played well in the slot in practice over four weeks even though Williams was open a lot in the games, helped win the first game with just what they brought him here to do, and scored an 80 yard TD in his last game he started where they benched their franchise QB because he couldn't hit wide open WR? :lol:

Crap QBing not withstanding...

No not what I said at all... please read. Hogan happens to be good (decent) at slot. MW is and was not. It's an entirely different skill set - just like slot corner - something that Robey excels at but is just ok outside. this is not about Hogan, it's about Woods beating out MW as #2 and Sammy is already #1. I see that you're not likely going to change your thoughts and thats fine but don't try to validate what I am trying to convey by saying something completely different lol. I'm done I'm letting this argument go with you. :)

and again the 80 yd TD was a busted play... Not one to hang your hat on

Edited by 34-78-83

I really enjoy all the overreactions and nit-picking analysis on TSW. Good grief guys. Highlights:

"Marrone is smug". WHO CARES. I can name a successful coach who's pretty darn smug.

"Russ is smiling". PLEASE. This doesn't matter at all.

And all the criticism over Whaley's response to the analytics question? Those are some of the best comments. All teams use analytics, most likely use them differently and none will ever tell the fans or media how they use them. It's absolutely proprietory, and for all we know analytics could be why we overachieved at times this year.

You guys make me laugh.

So does your attempted spelling of "proprietary."

Just kidding. Lighten up man. The season is over. Can't we all just get along?

Joe B. from WGR: Can EJ lead this team to the playoffs and if so, why?

Marrone: accuracy is better, decision making is better based on performance in practice against our own D.

Marrone: But you have to be able to do that in a real game against opposition.

Whaley: This was a beneficial step in EJ's career; he can decompress and see how another guy does it.

Translation - He's not ready just yet. We're going to give him another year behind a vet to watch and learn until 2016 when we draft another QB to develop if he fails to take over at some point during the season.

Bunch of BS if you ask me...you didn't I know but...

Marrones ego makes poor personnel decisions, he seems to hold grudges against guys and it affects their playing time and in turn the overall team performance.

Williams, Urbik, Branch, and Brown can attest to this.

If Orton wasn't into it he should have said so and stepped aside. He looked like a guy trying to not get hurt most of the last 6 games.

The relationship between Marrone and Whaley is completely non existent. Marrone mentioned telling Russ to tell Whaley while he told Pegula about Orton. Why couldn't he tell both? What's the urgency, plenty of time in the off season.

Whether we all like or hate Orton, or whether you love or hate EJ, I think we can all agree that what you say here is correct.

There is no doubt about that whatsoever. I am not sure of Orton's career earnings or well he has managed his money, but he obviously wanted to pad his retirement nest egg with 1 more big pay day this year and he most certainly did not want to live the rest of his life with a messed up knee or whatever.

While this is not exactly the Jim Kelly Warrior school of football or a particularly likable move on Orton's part, you can see what he was doing and why. I still don't like it though.