was that REALLY a penalty on Ron Brooks in 4th quarter for roughness?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how it could have possibly been a penalty. He clearly lowered his shoulder into the shoulder of the receiver. No helmet/neck, or lowering head into him at all. We were arguing this at the bar I was at. I'd say we were split 50/50 but I'm sorry after watching the replay it looked clear as day that it was shoulder to shoulder.

But I'd say the roughing the passer on the next drive was a definite make-up call as the hit on Orton looked clean.

Hard to tell on the Orton play. In the angle I saw, I couldn't see at all if the Pats player touched his helmet. If he did, it's an automatic penalty. Orton seemed sure that it was a penalty.

He is awful in coverage. Just awful. He may not make the team next year.

Hopefully Brooks isn't on the team next year.

He's been a special teams stud and is our 5th/6th string CB. Not sure what you guys expect when a player like that is thrust into a starting role, but he played better than Justin Rogers ever could.

He should be on the team next year.

He's been a special teams stud and is our 5th/6th string CB. Not sure what you guys expect when a player like that is thrust into a starting role, but he played better than Justin Rogers ever could.

I agree he's very good on ST. And he's a very good tackler. But he gets abused on coverage as much as Justin Rogers. If he is the #6 CB, I would like to keep him. And maybe he will get a little better. But for three years now, he can't cover anything, and teams immediately key on him, and immediately have success. Hopefully, Cockrell or another FA vet is ahead of him on the depth chart. But he's truly awful. And I had pretty high hopes for him, even though he never started in college.

I agree he's very good on ST. And he's a very good tackler. But he gets abused on coverage as much as Justin Rogers. If he is the #6 CB, I would like to keep him. And maybe he will get a little better. But for three years now, he can't cover anything, and teams immediately key on him, and immediately have success. Hopefully, Cockrell or another FA vet is ahead of him on the depth chart. But he's truly awful. And I had pretty high hopes for him, even though he never started in college.

He is the #6 CB.

Gilmore

McKelvin

Graham

Robey

A Williams

Then R. Brooks

I just dont get the point of bashing the skills of a 6th string player. No kidding, that's why he's 6th string.

He is the #6 CB.

Gilmore

McKelvin

Graham

Robey

A Williams

Then R. Brooks

I just dont get the point of bashing the skills of a 6th string player. No kidding, that's why he's 6th string.

AWilliams is only a safety now. They played him at CB when they needed him two years ago because they had Byrd, and they didn't have Graham. He's the 5. And he's actually the 4 CB starter, because they are never going to put Robey on the outside (I think Robey is very good).

AWilliams is only a safety now. They played him at CB when they needed him two years ago because they had Byrd, and they didn't have Graham. He's the 5. And he's actually the 4 CB starter, because they are never going to put Robey on the outside (I think Robey is very good).

A Williams will slide to CB if needed, with Searcy and Duke at S. I believe he was in coverage as recently as yesterday.

Either way, he's deep on the chart. So no kidding his skills are lacking. Youre not going to have shutdown (or even consistently decent) players that far down.

But if you want to complain about a guy that deep on the chart, go ahead. It wouldnt be the dumbest thing Ive read here today, I guess.

+1

I was going to post exactly this, but you beat me to it.

I was watching the game with family and the game was on mute. i got very mad at that call as it appeared clean to me but everyone there laughed at me and thought it was a penalty. was it a clean hit?

absolutely a clean hit, just because I guy gets leveled doesn't make it dirty, it's still football last I recall.

The Brooks hit was high and he lowered his head. The refs don't have the benefit of slow motion replays to see if there was head or neck contact. And in fact, contact to the opponents head or neck is not even required for a penalty.

Correct call in my opinion. The roughing call on Orton was not. They must have been confused by the fact that Brady wasn't in the game anymore ;)

Players are adjusting and going low as Reggie Nelson's did to Le'veon Bell last night. This is really getting stupid.

It was the definition of a clean hit. Shoulder to the chest. You may have called it "Hitting a defenseless receiver" but the point of football is to prevent the other guy from catching the ball. Brooks did it perfectly.

Refs also called a chintzy Roughing the QB penalty on Orton so it evened out in the end.

I thought it was a terrible call but luckily the D held the Pats to a FG on that drive anyway.

AG Green took a worse/dirty hit to the head last night, laid on the field for three minutes and ended leaving the game. No call. This year's officiating has been consistently inconsistent. League really needs to do something. Same goes for the ridiculous offsetting penalties rule. How does a 15 yard PF offset a five yard illegal contact penalty?

AG Green took a worse/dirty hit to the head last night, laid on the field for three minutes and ended leaving the game. No call. This year's officiating has been consistently inconsistent. League really needs to do something. Same goes for the ridiculous offsetting penalties rule. How does a 15 yard PF offset a five yard illegal contact penalty?

if you think the zebras are confused now. Wait until you see them trying to figure out how to enforce 2 penalties with different yardage and down results. For example, what do you do on a fourth and 10 with a defensive PI 30 yards downfield and a offensive holding called. Do you give the offense first down even though they held? The majority of the current rules don't lend themselves to having multiples called. Also, what do you do if 4 are called on the same team concurrently, enforce all?

if you think the zebras are confused now. Wait until you see them trying to figure out how to enforce 2 penalties with different yardage and down results. For example, what do you do on a fourth and 10 with a defensive PI 30 yards downfield and a offensive holding called. Do you give the offense first down even though they held? The majority of the current rules don't lend themselves to having multiples called. Also, what do you do if 4 are called on the same team concurrently, enforce all?

I'd say "gameplay" penalties should offset, like your PI vs. holding example. Replay the down. Same goes for personal fouls against both teams.

If multiple penalties are called on the same team, enforce whichever one results in the greatest penalty yardage.

Now, in the case of a "gameplay" penalty, like the illegal contact the OP stated, being called on one team and a personal foul of any kind called on the other, I say the personal foul should be enforced and wipe out the run of the mill penalty against the other team.

Edited by devldog131

Now, in the case of a "gameplay" penalty, like the illegal contact the OP stated, being called on one team and a personal foul of any kind called on the other, I say the personal foul should be enforced and wipe out the run of the mill penalty against the other team.

This is actually the point I was trying to make, just didn't word it right. I think a personal foul penalty should trump most run of the mill penalties. Like a roughing the passer vs an ineligible man downfield.