Name 3 players that will not return next year

HOUSE

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero percent. I'll happily eat my words if he comes back but there's zero chance from everyone I've spoken to about it. The guy barely plays as is in this defense and his snaps will only go down with a healthy kiko and a more seasoned brown. He's a liability in coverage, and terrific against the run -- it's just a bad fit. He'll be playing elsewhere next year, I guarantee it.

Well, I have no inside info on Spikes. But I thought he did better this year in coverage (in the few situations he actually was involved) that I had expected. He really helped the team in the run game, no question. I hope the Bills make him a respectable offer, but I'm not sure they can afford to keep him since they are fairly deep at LB (assuming Kiko returns). But since he really seems to like it here, and playing fewer snaps extends his football life, I would never characterize his chances of returning at zero.

And by the way, if you bet on it it's a bet you could never win. If he returns you lose. But if he doesn't, you still don't know there was no chance. I suspect the circumstances will lead him elsewhere. But I think, if the offers are close, he might return.

I have posted this thread for 5 straight years and nobody has ever gotten this right.

I will guess at 600 or more wrong answers....

Name 3 players on Buffalo's current 2014 53 man roster that will NOT return in 2015

Name only 3. This does not include practice or IR players

Hint, People named one player like Pears over and over and it eliminated almost everyone.

The obvious players can kill you........

=

I must have missed your predictions.

Well, I have no inside info on Spikes. But I thought he did better this year in coverage (in the few situations he actually was involved) that I had expected. He really helped the team in the run game, no question. I hope the Bills make him a respectable offer, but I'm not sure they can afford to keep him since they are fairly deep at LB (assuming Kiko returns). But since he really seems to like it here, and playing fewer snaps extends his football life, I would never characterize his chances of returning at zero.

And by the way, if you bet on it it's a bet you could never win. If he returns you lose. But if he doesn't, you still don't know there was no chance. I suspect the circumstances will lead him elsewhere. But I think, if the offers are close, he might return.

I must have missed your predictions.

Don't get me wrong, I would like him back as I think his leadership in the locker room was a big part of the 9 win season -- Im also not as wired into OBD as some posters here are, and I absolutely expect the Bills to make an offer. But it's a simple matter of money and snaps. He was on the field for less than 50% of the snaps this year, and that number will only go down next year making him essentially a backup -- and he's better than that, and worth more than what the Bills will pay for a backup LB, even if he really likes the area (which I'm sure he does).

He's young and has two contracts left in him -- maybe three -- but this year will be his most valuable. Taking less money (significantly less -- unless the Bills are going to let Hughes walk and not sign any OGs or a QB) at this stage in his career to play on a defense where he's a part time player (devaluing himself even more for his next contract) is just bad business from spike's point of view.

Don't get me wrong, I would like him back as I think his leadership in the locker room was a big part of the 9 win season -- Im also not as wired into OBD as some posters here are, and I absolutely expect the Bills to make an offer. But it's a simple matter of money and snaps. He was on the field for less than 50% of the snaps this year, and that number will only go down next year making him essentially a backup -- and he's better than that, and worth more than what the Bills will pay for a backup LB, even if he really likes the area (which I'm sure he does).

He's young and has two contracts left in him -- maybe three -- but this year will be his most valuable. Taking less money (significantly less -- unless the Bills are going to let Hughes walk and not sign any OGs or a QB) at this stage in his career to play on a defense where he's a part time player (devaluing himself even more for his next contract) is just bad business from spike's point of view.

I understand where you are coming from. Same conversation I had with a couple Bills fans during the game today. I think (more like I hope) the Bills make him an offer that is a bit above his actual worth (on the field) to them, as his value to the team is more than his playing time. And because he isn't an every down LB, perhaps his offers from other teams won't be as outrageous as they would be if he were an every down LB. I characterized the possibility of re-signing him as a "relative long shot". But after reading that article about how much he like playing here, I'm hoping that helps sway the odds a bit. I know not to put too much stock in quotes from players (particularly after a win like this), but it gives me a bit more hope. I don't expect any player to give huge hometown discounts. But some guys actually care a bit about the atmosphere of their team. We probably aren't far apart on what we believe. But I have to think there is a chance to re-sign him I have to. Don't take that away from me. :lol:

I understand where you are coming from. Same conversation I had with a couple Bills fans during the game today. I think (more like I hope) the Bills make him an offer that is a bit above his actual worth (on the field) to them, as his value to the team is more than his playing time. And because he isn't an every down LB, perhaps his offers from other teams won't be as outrageous as they would be if he were an every down LB. I characterized the possibility of re-signing him as a "relative long shot". But after reading that article about how much he like playing here, I'm hoping that helps sway the odds a bit. I know not to put too much stock in quotes from players (particularly after a win like this), but it gives me a bit more hope. I don't expect any player to give huge hometown discounts. But some guys actually care a bit about the atmosphere of their team. We probably aren't far apart on what we believe. But I have to think there is a chance to re-sign him I have to. Don't take that away from me. :lol:

Completely fair. I won't take that from you! :lol:

:beer:

I think you are all wrong about Spikes....just my opinion.

So, give us your picks.

To be fair (even though I didn't start the thread) I will offer my three:

Jordan Gay

Deonte Thomas

Larry Dean